Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kienzle Clock Repair - Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

I've started this thread as I am going to attempt the repair of my Kienzle dash clock.

First up how do I remove the back cover. I have removed two small nuts (green arrows), but I remember reading that there is another step required.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone able to give me a pointer? Thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
I've started this thread as I am going to attempt the repair of my Kienzle dash clock.

First up how do I remove the back cover. I have removed two small nuts (green arrows), but I remember reading that there is another step required.

The third nut is undef that blue disc shaped "seal". That is an anti-tamper seal.

Do some searches. There is a lot written about these clocks including a few people that got deep into them and fixed some serious problems.

They need to be cleaned with the correct cleaners....made for clocks....and for jeweled bearings. They also need to be lubed....in exact places. Not every parf gets lubed because it can wreck things. They also need to be lubed with oil made for clocks.

In the short term...it may just be the fusible solder link that finally gave out.

But at this age....just like with fine watches over time.....its time to replace the old oxidized lubricants. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Quote:

yes - learn how to use Google. There are plent of places that repair them and several articles including a PDF on this Samba website.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming it is the blue plastic that I need ot break off.

I have trawled the Samba and Google and Youtube extensively and I have the PDF which explains the tear down and reapair process. But it's all just theory until I have the clock in front of me to look at.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

For the record.....decades ago.....I was just a guilty as anyone....of just cleaning these clocks with circuit cleaner and lubing them up with tri-flow or similar instrument oil like Starrett M-1.....thinking I was doing the clock a favor.

In virtually every case....I got the clock working. In most cases along with my lube and cleaning....the fusible link needed repair.
But.....in almost every case.....a handful of months later or less.....the clock is off (slow or fast)....and I have to get inside again and adjust the +/- adjustment..... or a year or so later....they start having the start and stop problem. I just assumed they did not have a great lifespan......so I would just pick up another clock or two from the junkyard.

In later years I would come to understand that these are relatively fine clocks....by the way....my parents have a 110 year old Kienzle grandfather clock in their hallway just ticking along...and that my sloppy cleaning and lubing....is what did them in....not that fact they they are just some kind of cheap automotive clock.

These are real clocks with jeweled bearings. They can last a looooong time....but the cleaning, lubing and adjusting needs to be done correctly....no different than what you would do for a fine watch.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
These are real clocks with jeweled bearings. They can last a looooong time....but the cleaning, lubing and adjusting needs to be done correctly....no different than what you would do for a fine watch.
Ray

Ok so today I visited a jeweller to hav e apin put in my watch strap. It is an old family run business with a real old vintage look and feel - the type of place where they're passionate about their profession. They also advertise as "watchmakers" so having read the above I think I might return tomorrow with the clock to see what they say!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Ray

Ok so today I visited a jeweller to hav e apin put in my watch strap. It is an old family run business with a real old vintage look and feel - the type of place where they're passionate about their profession. They also advertise as "watchmakers" so having read the above I think I might return tomorrow with the clock to see what they say!

Clocks and watches are not something to mess with unless you are ok with them maybe being worse off. I try to cycle my watch/clock servicing so I don't have to do it all at once. Unlike a car, this is where you want to buy the one on the best mechanical shape!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

I have had the "fusable link" burn on two of my Mercedes clocks. Simply replace it with a thin wire of solder. It is a solder wire. When it gets too hot it melts.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

I've removed the back cover, looks like the fuse is the issue?

Otherwsie it looks fairly clean I guess.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Easy repair!

WW

spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to solder this though, anyone got in pics of a repaired solder joint? I have the low temp solder for the job but the gap is not insignificant. I can see solder dripping where I don't want it to if this goes wrong!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

With a short length of solder "wire" simply 'touch' both ends with your iron. That is what I did.

WW

70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

No photos but I do remember (carefully!) wedging a small piece of wood in there (toothpick or popsicle stick?) to hold the contacts together while I soldered the joint. Also be sure and use flux.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

So the two contacts shuld be together when I solder, rather than bridging them together with a piece of solder "wire".

I've just read back over some of the other threads on the repair process it seems that when the fuse has blown the contact have "sprung apart". So I should be able to move the top contact down to make contact with the bottom?
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Correct, you will be able to push them together. There should probably be a small gap left for the solder to fill, but not much of one - say 1/32 of an inch or so. Heated solder flows easily and will fill that gap.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

OK make sense now, I used a very small screw drive to pull the upper contact down. When using flux, do I add this to the top iron or should I try to get some on the contact, or both?
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Both.

From Wikipedia: As cleaning agents, fluxes facilitate soldering, brazing, and welding by removing oxidation from the metals to be joined. ... By preventing the formation of metal oxides, flux enables the solder to adhere to the clean metal surface, rather than forming beads, as it would on an oxidized surface.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Here is my repair:

I tried it in my box, initially there was some activity then nothing. I removed the white plastic back cover and manipulated a few of the gears manually and I had some life. I then wiggled the time adjustment knob on the front of the clock and it was running intermittently. I'm not sure if my battery wasn't a little low so need to test again after I have charged it, or it could be there I need to lubricate the item a little?
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

Tried the clock agian today, it runs for about 30-45 seconds, once it stops if i wind the adjuster on the front very slowly it comes back to life until it stops again.

With the power disconnected if I turn the 3/4" steel wheel the clock runs for about 3-4 minutes and the hands move to show this. So perhaps I need to lubricate the mechanism, I found this does it look suitable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Oiler-Clocks-Wa...=clock+oil
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Kienzle Clock Repair - Help Reply with quote

For those who have oiled these clocks, are there points that should be oiled. I am guessing given this is a precision piece I shouldn't be indiscriminately spraying oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: