Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split beetle trim
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I need to order a new aluminium trim set & I am unsure if I need the short or long trim. I have attached a picture of the front bonnet prior to resto.
Thank you for your help Dave
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

that appears to be an early 50 hood which takes 'long' trim but your car would have short trim as there is supposed to be a hood crest as seen here.

dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Hi Sled,
Will it be possible to have the short trim with the crest? Will it still fit.?
Thank you for you help
Dave
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi Sled,
Will it be possible to have the short trim with the crest? Will it still fit.?
Thank you for you help
Dave

honestly thats a tricky one because being that your car is a 52, it would look quite nice with the correct hood crest, but it would be a huge shame to cut holes in your 50 hood. Its very easy to install a crest and short trim onto an earlier hood, but I am sure there is someone out there with a 50 or older split who really needs the correct hood?

if you decide to modify that hood, you need to make two small slots for the crest and an additional hole for the shorter trim

dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Hi Sled,
I've already had the bonnet painted, although I like the idea of the correct crest. I'll attach a bonnet picture. I have a 54 oval, is the crest the same?
Thank you for your help Dave

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

It is possible to assemble crest and short trim to older bonnet. Then is used the hole in the crest base. Creast clips are turned under the base, and fixed by a trim clip to the bonnet.

I don't know if an extra hole is needed to drill for the trim to keep it safely fixed.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

On your picture of the black painted bonnet... is there a hump for the VW sign visable? It looks so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

The location of the trim holes on a hood without the crest are in different locations than those that have the crest.

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

What does the underside of the hood look like? I'd almost say it is a post 1962 hood and not a 50's hood at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Hi guys
At present only have another top picture no underside ar present

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a later hood. Not correct for a split. I hope you have the later hinges and prop rod too.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Indeed it surely looks like a mid 60's hood, because it has the round raised section for the VW emblem. You can compare your hood with other 60's hoods in the gallery here on TheSamba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

ah ha!

with the amount of work (and money) you're putting into this car, you should really find a more correct hood, that one will stand out like a black eye.
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

To be honest I didn't realise that it wasn't original as the car sat in a barn since 72. I know that the car went through an update at some stage to look like an oval & with the hood looking very sad didnt take much notice. Spent loads of time on body, correct doors & parts. Looks like back to basics with hood. Thanks for your imput although upsetting best to get it correct. Thank you Dave
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Get this and sell yours to someone who has a 1963 or later

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2060215
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

my 2 cents:
The problem is that here on TheSamba we're just looking at the photo's.
If it were me, I would have someone with an expert eye as far as split bugs look at the bonnet (or hood Very Happy ) in real life and up close, and then decide whether it's the correct bonnet or not. I'm saying that because there is a chance that it might be an older correct bonnet that has been reworked (that's why I said "it looks like"). And because you mentioned that your car was "updated" with more recent parts, there is a small possibility that they have worked on the bonnet to "update" it (although I think that that chance is slim because it's easier to swap the bonnet altogether).

And once you know for sure what you have on your car, then you can decide what to do.

Personally I would just stick with the current bonnet for now, order the correct trim for the car's year, and continue building the car up, considering that you've just painted it; I would not spend a lot more money on another bonnet immediately just because we noticed something suspicious here on TheSamba, unless I would be absolutely 100% convinced that that would be the best way to go for the car in the long run.
Of course and in general the original period correct parts on an original stock car are best for the car's value.
A split bug front bonnet is fairly hard to find and thus fairly pricey.

On a side note (I'm not trying to pick your car apart, but just trying to help): you are aware that you have 2 front fenders with oval horn grilles (I take it you are aware, considering your other thread on your fenders), and also non-ribbed bumpers in the "before paint" photo's, correct?
(and I'm not too sure about those window wiper stems, and headlight rings either)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle trim Reply with quote

Hi guys
I now have a correct split front bonnet. Needs small amount of work. At least the hinges & bonnet stay were split correct. Bumpers & horn rings have long gone with correct split bumpers & round horn rings.
As for the headlights & wipers these will need further investigation down the line.
Thanks all for your feed back it all helps me to achieve a correct restoration on the split.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: