Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello,
The 57 model saw the introduction of the PushPull Knob, located just at the left hand side of the dash
There were two versions -
early 57's had the Golf Club PushPull Knob:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then came the Paddle PushPull Knob:

It's very difficult to find golf club pushpull knob

I have a Nos set :

I want to reproduce these knobs like original one.

Please let me know if you interested ?
technik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I got mine from Brezelworks years ago, but it doesn't look like he's open for business anymore.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133089&highlight=brezelwerks+yahoo
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

John makes the later paddle style out of aluminum. I am sure he can knock those out easily. Are you talking about re-popping them in Bakelite?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=copellos

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I say go for it villemi! Aluminium isn´t the same thing if you ask me. Didn´t know that 57 had their own design on these paddles btw..thanks for enlighten me Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I talked to John Copello years ago about making these in aluminum, but being a 1/2 year only part we felt there wasn't enough of a market to warrant making them. I believe that left and right knobs are "interchangeable" necessitating only one mold? It would be great to have these available for the few cars that need them and it would be nice to cast the knob on the lever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I think it will be possible with 3D printing.

I've sent my NOS set to the 3D printing factory.

They will be able to make it more reliable thanks to their technology directly printing carbon-filled nylon which allows to obtain parts with high mechanical resistance.

I think it will be cheap with 3D printing and silver beige L466 paint.

For the 57 owners :

- anthracitedub
- lasslo
- nize
- Exaktaphile
- VW-Wind
- stipboat
- potsey77
- laszlosos
- NealM
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Heres my version
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

We did this style in Ivory and Off White (grey)...

Search Part# 141-255-941 on our site or click here:
https://airheadparts.com/?s=141-255-941&post_type=product
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I could use a set of early 57 levers.... I haven’t got to the point of putting my vent system back together but I think my levers were the early golf club style.
I’ll have to dig them out of boxes to see which style they are, if there’s enough left there to determine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW-Wind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

villemi wrote:
I think it will be possible with 3D printing.

I've sent my NOS set to the 3D printing factory.

They will be able to make it more reliable thanks to their technology directly printing carbon-filled nylon which allows to obtain parts with high mechanical resistance.

I think it will be cheap with 3D printing and silver beige L466 paint.

For the 57 owners :

- anthracitedub
- lasslo
- nize
- Exaktaphile
- VW-Wind
- stipboat
- potsey77
- laszlosos
- NealM

Villemi, you call these "early 57", but my january 57 still has the turning knob version. So apparantly there are 3 versions in 57
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

The manual control of fresh air, rotary knob version , was stopped at the body number 14060

The golf club version , start from body number 14061 (between the end of January and the beginning of February 1957).

The paddle versions seem to start in september 1957 (At confirm)

@VW-Wind what is your body number ?
VW-Wind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

13310, so maby real close to beeing a 56. It has all the early lowlight stuff, like the thinback seats and missing gas gauge.

What kind of radio delete plate, would this car have been born with?

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

VW-Wind wrote:

What kind of radio delete plate, would this car have been born with?

lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Don’t forget the seal.

German Folks
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I think the seal behind the radio delete plate was introduced in the early 60's?, so I don't think it would be "correct" on a lowlight Ghia. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I think the seal behind the radio delete plate was introduced in the early 60's?, so I don't think it would be "correct" on a lowlight Ghia. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you are right Loren, the seal is a 60's part.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Loren wrote:

My guess is you are right Loren since you know more than I do, I bought the plate from Europe years ago and the seal came with it. I like it though since it keeps the plate from scratching the dash if someone ever wants to put a radio in at a later time.

German Folks
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

News of 1957 lowlight ghia heat control

I've made a new heat control part with a french factory .
Made by 3D printing
Here is the result befor painting

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Very nice! I dug mine out and discovered one was in good shape and the other was snapped off! I ended up hand carving a set out of delrin a while ago. Haven’t got around to the install.
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 lowlight Ghia Heat control a possible reproduction source Reply with quote

After a long time here are the reproductions of the 1957 lowlight Ghia heat control.

left: new reproduction part , right : original part

A french factory who made the developpement of the part with me.

I think the next week you'll can order these parts on their website

https://gryp-3d.com/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: