Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

please only respond if you have done as the title asks. i dont need ten answers as to why i should not, tell me why i should. thanks. please refrain from telling me how much you love your super-expensive name brand heater.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Well here's an expensive one (although maybe it burns cheap diesel).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260435

Once again a PSA for all, POST YOUR PICS IN THE SAMBA GALLERY PLEASE!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

There's someone in my local club that installed one in his beetle and really likes it. Based upon his experience I ordered one but have yet to install. Hope there are others that can provide more info and experience on their installs. If not, I'll post mine here once the install is complete.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Here's my expensive heater install. I like it. I'm pretty sure that most all of what I did could be used with a cheap diesel heater.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8768716#8768716

And since I broke the rules, here is an extensive discussion on the Vanagon forum that you might be helpful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Pretty solid thread n hem in the Vanagon forum. Consensus is they aren’t bad for the price.

Edit: VWWestyman beat me too it,
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

since i saved a bus that has no duct system, this is my best option for the harsh winters here in Los Angeles.
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

i saw that but only one guy had used it, lol. the topic was derailed and 1k heaters were then discussed. I may get it and use rubber lines for the fuel.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

No but you know we've talked about it several times. I still wouldn't mind just getting one. At $120, what the hell.

I think there is plenty of shit to talk about running a 35 year old one, and several of us are.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261355&start=9860

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajajoe16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

I put one of the 5K heaters in my late bay and it worked good for about a week and then it started throwing a code and not starting I guess the glow plug was shorting out
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Have a 5KW installed in my '75, have run 6-7 gallons of kerosene (burns cleaner than diesel) through it by this point.

Had a glow plug failure early on, which is a known issue, but the $18 Chinese replacement plug has been working just fine and for longer than the original. Had to replace the exhaust pipe because I did a stupid and didn't watch where the jackstand was going to contact the chassis. Oh, and it showed me that my aux battery was no good and needed replacement -- thought it was fine but the only thing connected were the LED interior lights, no load of any real substance.

It works just fine and I'm totally happy with it. Recently picked up another 5KW to mount permanently in the garage for the primary heat out there instead of the Mr. Heater I'm always bumping in to...
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

thanks for the input, sounds like there may be a few hiccups but over all a good product. im just looking to warm the bus on those frigid LA mornings and cool spring and late summer nights.
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

I have been reading up on these heaters a lot, and watching youtube videos and they seem to be very well built. Obviously they copied the bigger more expensive heaters that were made, but as anything once it gets to china we see imitations, some times good (like these) and sometimes bad (like the Chinese parts we have seen). What I have noticed about the different models is there is an LCD version and a physical switch version. The LCD as many Chinese cheep electronics looks like it has one of the worst user experiences out there, it is confusing, and touchy, while the physical switch seems like it is durable and easier to use (with less functionality).

I have also seen many different ways of installation. Personally I don't want to give up any room inside my Westy (nor do I want to drill large holes), so I would go for an under the bus installation that taps into the existing heat piping.

Since there is heater ducts in the front, and in the back flooring I think this would be adequate. I would however try to run the controls up into the cabin so I could control it.

I have also been thinking about the propane Propex options because it would be nice to use a Westy propane tank since it is more durable than having an additional tank of diesel (and much easier to refill). Vanagon owners that have diesel tanks already have a big advantage here.

Just be sure to do regular maintenance to what ever heater you get. They can get filled with soot (running them on low) and the glow plugs can go bad. Luckily all the ones I have seen are very easy to take apart to clean and if worst comes to worst you can buy a replacement for very little money.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

It would be very easy to mount one underneath the bus and have, say, the rear heat outlet be the cold air return, and outlet between the front seats be the hot air vent or vice versa. (With a Westy, I'd have the heat come from the front for sure, because then the heat isn't blocked by the bed.) I thought about doing that, but decided I wanted both of those to have hot air going to them, for a bit more even distribution and also to help if one happens to have luggage or something over it, so it isn't just blocked.

I put mine together so that the cold air return comes from the very back of the space under the front passenger seat. So I did drill a hole, but it is basically invisible.

A couple of the guys in that Vanagon thread are saying they're going to remove the propex heaters in favor of the cheap diesel, because they think finding places to refill the propane tank is a pain, and you can't really tell how much you have. It shouldn't be very difficult to mount a small diesel tank someplace in the Bus or engine compartment.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
I have been reading up on these heaters a lot, and watching youtube videos and they seem to be very well built. Obviously they copied the bigger more expensive heaters that were made, but as anything once it gets to china we see imitations, some times good (like these) and sometimes bad (like the Chinese parts we have seen). What I have noticed about the different models is there is an LCD version and a physical switch version. The LCD as many Chinese cheep electronics looks like it has one of the worst user experiences out there, it is confusing, and touchy, while the physical switch seems like it is durable and easier to use (with less functionality).

I have also seen many different ways of installation. Personally I don't want to give up any room inside my Westy (nor do I want to drill large holes), so I would go for an under the bus installation that taps into the existing heat piping.

Since there is heater ducts in the front, and in the back flooring I think this would be adequate. I would however try to run the controls up into the cabin so I could control it.

I have also been thinking about the propane Propex options because it would be nice to use a Westy propane tank since it is more durable than having an additional tank of diesel (and much easier to refill). Vanagon owners that have diesel tanks already have a big advantage here.

Just be sure to do regular maintenance to what ever heater you get. They can get filled with soot (running them on low) and the glow plugs can go bad. Luckily all the ones I have seen are very easy to take apart to clean and if worst comes to worst you can buy a replacement for very little money.

Ill let you check out my 77 Westy mit Eberspacher. Maybe we can convince you to mount it where it was meant in the engine bay. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ill let you check out my 77 Westy mit Eberspacher. Maybe we can convince you to mount it where it was meant in the engine bay. Wink

You have the best toys! Where did you get the Eberspacher heater?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Rolling Eyes Laughing See round these parts, I am Mr. Eberspacher Heater Twisted Evil

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

which one? he has 20 of them
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
which one? he has 20 of them

I have a problem. Anxious

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
dstimm wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Rolling Eyes Laughing See round these parts, I am Mr. Eberspacher Heater Twisted Evil

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Drool...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: