Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

And bonus points for knowing when your beef or lamb is medium rare!
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

hahaha good one
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Did a nice 400 mile round trip journey to the White mountains in NH. Can confirm that these diesel heaters work. Super cold outside, super warm inside. The fuel pump is a little noisy when trying to sleep, but nothing too crazy. Definitely worth the purchase.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

I had the same pump noise issue until i just suspended it from some cable ties to isolate it from the frame. Dont hear anything now
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

This weekend I slept in my Bus with the Espar running, and it was great.

I don't notice the pump very often, but the ticking of the clock can be intrusive.

Playing a White Noise App sound took care of that easily. That could be the final piece for the noisy pumps, too.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Honestly, you guys with your camper conversions and/or BA6 buses, and plenty of cubbyholes for locating the heater unit...

I'd have to be more creative with a 7-seater Laughing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Honestly, you guys with your camper conversions and/or BA6 buses, and plenty of cubbyholes for locating the heater unit...

Get you a BA6!

An Espar can be mounted under the Bus, too... Some have also mounted the CCDH under the Bus.

Or put it under your back seat. There would be plenty of room there, for sure.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

OMG! You sound like Yoda.

MMMmmm get a BA6 you. There would be plenty of room there, for sure.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

put it in the engine compartment just like the factory did on the early Bays. before the gawd awful factory belly furnace (IMnsHO)
there are lots of places to put one in a pass bus..
samwise wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Curious why you don't like the BA6 as compared to the BN4?

One of the best parts about those, is the heat is dumped right into the factory system, and delivered to the defrost/front heat system.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

The fuel tank cap that comes in the kit is vented. If the tank is mounted inside the bus, is there any issue with diesel fumes/smell from the tank, or sloshing diesel out the vent hole while the bus is moving?

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
The fuel tank cap that comes in the kit is vented. If the tank is mounted inside the bus, is there any issue with diesel fumes/smell from the tank, or sloshing diesel out the vent hole while the bus is moving?

I haven't had any fumes or diesel smell come out of it; it would drive me crazy if i could smell anything. Believe the cap is a 1-way valve, only letting air in, not out. And the tank is baffled, so not much sloshing when driving. The only tricky part is filling the tank up, I use a nice long funnel and pour slowly. The heater sips the diesel, so this 1 tank has lasted me a long time.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

I have BA-6, in my opinion it is kind of useless for camping. Sure you can fire it up before you go to bed. But that is about it. It is loud. It would draw your battery flat very quickly if left running for extended period of time.
To me BA6 is good source of heat when driving. If I was to do winter camping I would definitely go with modern diesel heater
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Magion wrote:
I have BA-6, in my opinion it is kind of useless for camping. Sure you can fire it up before you go to bed. But that is about it. It is loud. It would draw your battery flat very quickly if left running for extended period of time.
To me BA6 is good source of heat when driving. If I was to do winter camping I would definitely go with modern diesel heater

Very true. I always viewed the BA6 as the epitome of hack driving and people mover heat. Beautiful execution for those stuck on the road delivering apples in Scottland or Canada in the cold winter months. Runs effortlessly while taking a family tour group up the Grossglockner or through the Swiss alps of the PNW, the Cascade Mountains.

But a stand alone heater? Not so much. The #2 question I always get about heaters - the older ones, is can I use it to camp with. I usually say no because I don't want to dive into why and no one bought me a beer. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Magion wrote:

I have a BA6 in my '73 Bus, and an Espar diesel heater in my '78 Westy.

I agree with these comments completely.

The thing to remember is the CCDH/Espar D2/similar heaters don't create nearly the amount of heat that a BA6 or BN4 does. I've seen a few people (mostly in FB groups) attempt to completely replace the factory heat with a modern diesel heater, and unless you live in a pretty moderate climate and/or almost never drive in freezing temps, I think this is a mistake.

At the moment, I'm sitting in the back seat of the Westy with the heater running. Because my wife is cleaning the house and I'm supposed to be doing homework! Back to it, I guess.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

I was able to use my new CCDH for the first time yesterday, since it got below 50 here in Florida.

It was installed between the passenger seat and the ice box (in a Riviera)...

The air inlet and exhaust are routed thru the floor, along with the fuel line that goes to a small tank under the seat/bed. Power comes from the leisure battery, thru a fuse block and switch. That way, I can turn off the lighted controller when the heater has cooled down and shut off.

The air return outlet is shown in the pic, and the warm air outlet is toward the walk-thru with a swiveling bezel to rout the air toward the cab or toward the cabin.

I ran it yesterday while toodling around town, and it was great to feel warm while driving. The heat output was very good, while using very little diesel.
Overall, I've very happy and impressed with this little device.

Next: Figuring out how to get warm air to the windshield for defogging... Think
I'm looking at a few small 12volt heaters with blowers on eBay.
But I want it to be permanently installed and easy to use, so going to take some thinking.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Now that is has been a few years since these Chinese diesel heaters have become popular, I have purchased one and am getting ready to do the install.

I have been reading up on these diesel heaters and now Im almost set to install one in my stock 75 Westy. After reading and digesting I have concluded that I am going to install a 2 kw heater under the center floor as a few have previously done. Thinking of putting fuel tank on left rear corner of engine bay, then plan to remove the stock hot air tubes from the floor vent behind the front seats, for the hot air duct. Then use the air intake vent from the floor under the rear seat. (some say this is not necessary, and just pump in outside air- thru the heater- any thoughts?) I already have an extra 200 amp hours of batteries for a power source. Also wondering about any recent-newer thoughts on enclosing the diesel heater (control board) or moving the board inside?

I am only interested in having a system that heats down to about 30 degrees. Im attempting to keep the stock Heater boxes intact for some air on the front windshield. In other words, the diesel heater install, can be easily reversed & removed without needing to repair holes hacked into the body of the vehicle.

So just wondering if others have any update/ revisions after experimenting with these heaters Those who have a similar install, have any feedback on their layout & installation? What has worked and what has not? What changes should one do now after some time has passed since your install? Lets hear some thoughts. Thanks
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

You could fabricate some kind of splash shield for it. I used a sheet of plastic from the home store.

The only concern I would have with your proposal is that you would need to always be careful to not block either vent. I installed my Espar under the floor, and piped heat into both the vents you mention. The return was cut in to the back of that open space in the heat pedestal. So maybe that would be an option, as it is very hidden?

I like that, with my setup, I don't have to worry as much about packing things so that they don't block a vent, because there is a second one for hot air to come out of.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

Fortunately I don't have to deal with defrosting the windscreen.

But, this season I will be using a small USB desk fan to circulate the warm air while camping. Maybe it could help in your situation.

It is a game changer when I get to use it.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Actually used the Cheap Diesel heaters? Reply with quote

any tips on initial start up?
pump runs for a second or two then quits
lines not yet full

also any reccomendations on a 120 to 12vt converter?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: