Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

Looking for info on a 1958 VW I owned, and sold in Independence, KS in the early 80's.
I was really excited to come across this "The Samba" website...got me excited about my old VW while reading through all of the informational posts out here! Now into retirement, I'd like to find my old bug to restore to drive-able state.

Interested in the vehicle whereabouts, or any info about it. I don't have VIN or old license plate info (I've long gotten rid of my old insurance cards...my agent searched their records, but they don't go back to the early 80's when I would have sold it)

Can't remember who I sold it to, but I still remember the day he came to get it and towed it away (we lived on Irving St in Independence, KS at the time, with our driveway access through the alley in the back of the house)

Some distinguishing marks on this specific VW:
Square, yellow front turn signals added above the horn grills
Semaphore turn signals
Homemade rear brake lights (rough finish on the housings, as they were custom made by my Dad to accommodate rear turn signals)
Heater fan under rear driver side seat

Some of these items may still be on the VW:
Aftermarket glovebox keyed lock (was a big round knob off of a later VW)
Short throw shifter
Fake wood vinyl dash overlay
Peace Symbol emblem on top of hood (replaced VW logo)
Was red in color (original color was silver, as is the interior)
Straight thru exhaust tips
Aftermarket window and door handles
Mag hubcaps

If anyone has any recollection or info of this VW, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Bob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

Bump (thanks in advance)
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

justbs549 wrote:
Looking for info on a 1958 VW I owned, and sold in Independence, KS in the early 80's.
I was really excited to come across this "The Samba" website...got me excited about my old VW while reading through all of the informational posts out here! Now into retirement, I'd like to find my old bug to restore to drive-able state.

Interested in the vehicle whereabouts, or any info about it. I don't have VIN or old license plate info (I've long gotten rid of my old insurance cards...my agent searched their records, but they don't go back to the early 80's when I would have sold it)

Can't remember who I sold it to, but I still remember the day he came to get it and towed it away (we lived on Irving St in Independence, KS at the time, with our driveway access through the alley in the back of the house)

Semaphore turn signals
Homemade rear brake lights (rough finish on the housings, as they were custom made by my Dad to accommodate rear turn signals)

Short throw shifter
Mag hubcaps

Thanks in advance!
Bob

One last bump...thanks for reviewing...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

Good luck! If you cant find it, I am sure you can get one that is very simular!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

I’d try posting a wanted ad in the classifieds with your picture, and info you have. Depending on how badly you want that particular vehicle back, you could offer a set finders fee, or a percentage of purchase price if you do find it. It’s surprising how much a $1000 finders fee greases the wheels of VW enthusiasts that may not have cared/were willing to help with info. Being a ragtop with the semaphores gives it a much greater chance of surviving from the time you sold it. A word of caution though, I’ve known a few to find a long sold car that was EXACTLY the way they sold it some 20-30 years later, but I’ve also known some to find the car that was a shell of what they had/undesirably modified.

bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

EVERYONE I’ve ever talked to that tried a recreation said it simply wasn’t the same. Most sold it upon completion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I’d try posting a wanted ad in the classifieds with your picture, and info you have. Depending on how badly you want that particular vehicle back, you could offer a set finders fee, or a percentage of purchase price if you do find it. It’s surprising how much a $1000 finders fee greases the wheels of VW enthusiasts that may not have cared/were willing to help with info. Being a ragtop with the semaphores gives it a much greater chance of surviving from the time you sold it. A word of caution though, I’ve known a few to find a long sold car that was EXACTLY the way they sold it some 20-30 years later, but I’ve also known some to find the car that was a shell of what they had/undesirably modified.

bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

EVERYONE I’ve ever talked to that tried a recreation said it simply wasn’t the same. Most sold it upon completion.

Thanks all for the responses, ideas and support! Yep, if I can't find my original one, then The Samba will be my to go site for finding something similar. Thanks again! Very Happy
Bob
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXZoQ26tkA. Watch this, around 9:30 there's a red tag top on the drag strip. The front turn signals look similar. It's a long shot but I read this earlier today and thought I'd pass it along.
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

21junkstreet wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXZoQ26tkA. Watch this, around 9:30 there's a red tag top on the drag strip. The front turn signals look similar. It's a long shot but I read this earlier today and thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks for the lead...it's not mine (no semaphores and those turn signal lights look lower, like covering the horn grills), but what a kick to watch them zoom down the line! Thanks again.
Bob
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

Bumping ad...hoping someone knows of my old bug's whereabouts. Thanks all.

justbs549 wrote:

Semaphore turn signals

Short throw shifter
Mag hubcaps

Thanks in advance!
Bob

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

Did you ever place an ad here on the site in the classifieds? I would for sure if you have not. There are also other social media sites like Facebook where you could post a pic/description. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Did you ever place an ad here on the site in the classifieds? I would for sure if you have not. There are also other social media sites like Facebook where you could post a pic/description. Good luck!

Actually, great idea on both fronts! Didn't realize I could put it out on the Samba's wanted add. Thanks!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

I had a nice running and driving '50 bug and sold it, when I lived in NJ, in 1980 - eventually, moved to Oklahoma - now 2020, almost 40 years later and I came across a 1950 bug, locally - was my old fifty and I bought it. So, you might come across your old '58 - never know... just don't expect it to look the same.

… my old '50, still had the same stickers, on the glass, that I put on there in 1978 - glass that came with the deal.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
I had a nice running and driving '50 bug and sold it, when I lived in NJ, in 1980 - eventually, moved to Oklahoma - now 2020, almost 40 years later and I came across a 1950 bug, locally - was my old fifty and I bought it. So, you might come across your old '58 - never know... just don't expect it to look the same.

… my old '50, still had the same stickers, on the glass, that I put on there in 1978 - glass that came with the deal.

I got a chuckle seeing the Dymo label on your window. Took me back to my teens (I'm 64 now) when my dad bought an English car (Hillman Super Minx). None of the knobs were labeled so I fixed that by attaching Dymo labels on all of them. He wasn't happy at the time, but we laughed about it many times over the years. Wink
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1958 VW sold in Independence, KS in the 80's Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

THAT is one cool story, and an InSPIRATION. Thanks for sharing!
(how did you come across it after so long?)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: