Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crazy Ass Ford Stuff
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

I heard that Ford Triton V8 that you can't get the spark plugs out, but I never knew that they also blew out their spark plugs out the holes too.
Check out this crazy ass repair
Part 1

Link

Part 2

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

I just unloaded my 99 f250 w/a 2v 5.4. 5 sparkplug inserts, wore out chain guides, and at least 1 lash adjuster ticking when under 2k rpm. Used it to charge camper battery at remote deer camp for 3 hrs every evening. Past fall developed a miss w/ no codes. Finally unloaded it after 14 years and only added 50k to the odometer. Picked up a clean 7.3, couldn't be happier.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

Blowing out spark plugs is a problem for Ford triton V8 and V10. I have a 2000 F250 with the V10 but have only had one spark plug blow out about 5 years ago, knock on wood. The truck now has 375,000 miles on it. I finally retired it last year. Best truck ever made.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

I cannot begin to imagine the cost of the fuel it would take to put 375K miles on a Ford V10! Shocked

Back when they first came out my company gave me one to drive. I had problems getting to the worksite and back on one tank. I had to refill it every day. It had about 2.5 hours range between refills! The next truck was a Duramax that did the same trip 4 times on the same tank.

And the Chevy was a dually to boot!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

The local dealer has a tech whose only job is to remove & install the bodies of any truck that comes in for repair, the chassis is then sent downline for the other techs to do whatever repair is necessary to the driveline.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

My F250 with V10, crew cab, long bed, with a single axle. It averaged about 11mpg. No mater what it was doing or where it was going. I pulled a 26 foot bayliner, several times, from Atlanta to Tampa. Didn't feel the boat at all during the trips. Averaged 11mpg with or without the boat. On our first trip going down I75S my brother was driving and I was asleep. I woke up when he hollard "OH S@$T". I yelled back WTF. He said we're doing 90mph! To which I said slow down. My F250 was pulling a 26ft bayliner at 90mph on the interstate. Everything was running so smooth my brother didn't realize he was going so fast. I later did the same thing when we switched. Didn't feel the load at all and still averaged 11mpg. Best truck ever built. Its retired right now but I still use it for heavy loads or oversized loads.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

That is 34,090 gallons of gas. Our gas price today is $4.396/us gal so that comes to $149,859.64 in my world! Wow eh?

Yes that is what the truck they gave me got for mileage too.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

My 5.4 got 11.25hwy, 8.5 towing anything over 2k. My 7.3 is getting 13.5 on this last tank. All around town, no highway, half of it in 4wd.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

When I was looking to replace our Chevy pickup I wanted a good towing engine with decent mileage. I chose a Dodge because of the reputation of the Cummins. It gets 18mpg empty and 16.7 loaded to the nines through the mountains pulling a 24' cargo trailer. Rarely ever have to drop a gear to crest the hills even loaded. Burns no oil and starts without being plugged in at -25.

So - did I win? In 470K, two complete $2500 front end jobs, one $2100 set of brakes, a $1100 broken rear spring, a set of $5000 injectors, multiple electrical issues, a rear door that is permanently locked and a $500 parking brake that will never work later - nope!

These modern monster 4X4 trucks are the biggest money pit ever invented. They are hugely expensive no matter which way you go!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
When I was looking to replace our Chevy pickup I wanted a good towing engine with decent mileage. I chose a Dodge because of the reputation of the Cummins. It gets 18mpg empty and 16.7 loaded to the nines through the mountains pulling a 24' cargo trailer. Rarely ever have to drop a gear to crest the hills even loaded. Burns no oil and starts without being plugged in at -25.

So - did I win? In 470K, two complete $2500 front end jobs, one $2100 set of brakes, a $1100 broken rear spring, a set of $5000 injectors, multiple electrical issues, a rear door that is permanently locked and a $500 parking brake that will never work later - nope!

These modern monster 4X4 trucks are the biggest money pit ever invented. They are hugely expensive no matter which way you go!

Shocked 470,000 miles? $2100 brake job? $5000 injectors? Wow.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

I don't know what shops charge where you live but here at $120 to $150 door rate anything more than an oil change is going to run you a grand. That $5000 injector change by the way included a 1 hour tow bill to the shop as the truck would not start.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

When I first purchased my F250 in 2000/2001 gas prices were still close to a $1/gal. Ga had some of the lowest gas prices in the country at the time. Then the politicians figured it out and increased the gas tax to put Ga closer to the national average. Gas now is just over $2/gal. Every once in a while you Can catch it under $2.
As for diesels my nephew has a Ford diesel and he is also a heavy equipment mechanic. According to him nothing is cheap on any kind of diesel.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

I retired the F250 and purchased a used 2018 ford transit for a service truck. So far so good. However I don't expect to see a site like the samba for my ford transit van in 20 or so years.
It's a 5 window panel van. Should I consider it a bay window body style?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
oprn wrote:

Shocked 470,000 miles? $2100 brake job? $5000 injectors? Wow.

I just did brakes for a client with a 2016...yes a '16 Ferd F350 with 18k miles on it. what an epic piece of shit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is after taking a sledge to the rotor

this truck got new calipers too because the steel shield on the phenolic pistons rotted...can't get them separate

and on top of all of that...I ended up sand blasting the hub extenders so I could get this thing back together

total bill was a hair under 2K parts and labor. again, this was a 3 year old truck with under 20k miles on it. the dealer replaced a p/s hose under warranty because it rotted. dealer quoted about 2900 for brakes due to rust. I had almost 3 hours PER SIDE getting all the parts off, cleaned and reassembled...train wreck job.

I wouldn't buy ANY domestic truck...especially a ford. never in my life have I seen such shitty materials used on domestic products.

the owner of the truck is a freak...he washes his fleet religiously and uses fluid film. it's gotten to the point where he almost can't afford to stay in business because his trucks rot out in 4-5 years. sad....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I wouldn't buy ANY domestic truck...especially a ford. never in my life have I seen such shitty materials used on domestic products.

Which foreign truck with a 5000# payload capacity uses better materials?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:

Which foreign truck with a 5000# payload capacity uses better materials?

I would buy an Isuzu NPR cab and chassis before I bought any domestic toilet..but to your point they are all overpriced garbage these days.

the guy who owns that truck I pictured had a GMC of the same vintage and it is nowhere near as crispy.

the only truck in their fleet that isn't an epic rot box is a 2008 F250 that they drove off the dealer lot and straight to ziebart for a spray of whatever poo they use.

forgot to mention...that 350 is on its SECOND set of exhaust manifolds already. every ford they own has had multiple sets of manifolds.

I swear they stripped the nickel out of the steel. I have never seen steel that new "delaminate" like that...it's scary. all of their ford engine blocks look like you took a bag of chips and smashed it with a mallet...flakey delaminating messes

if you look in my first pic, look behind the rotor to the front axle. when this truck was brand new they had the chassis painted with some type of rust preventing paint....it's coming off in sheets. sad....I think the rust is built into the steel these days

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

2017 tundra 10,500#. 2017 f350 32,000# w/goose neck. I like toyota, but.... Also seems like the term bulletproofed is thrown around more than freeway flier. The early 6.7 also has a problem with the injectors being ejected, ruining the hood. Hoods are stacked like cord wood outside the shop my oldest works at.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

So , it would seem to me more prudent to buy an 84 k20 from az/nm than a 2001 any make truck
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
So , it would seem to me more prudent to buy an 84 k20 from az/nm than a 2001 any make truck

yes. if I needed to haul some big stuff, I would go that route. LS swap, a/c and you can have a cool truck that won't snap in half when you wash it.

or, buy a new truck and cash it in every 3-4 years I guess. I don't know the real answer anymore. I keep telling my wife that it almost isn't worth it to buy a car you plan to keep for more than a few years....as in when factory warranty is up get ready to cash out

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ass Ford Stuff Reply with quote

Sounds like the time for Vintage Everything!
Give me a truck that I can spray out the cabin floor.

I second the pain the ass spark plug issues, I too faced the same dance on my dad's '05 F-150 Lariat. What a terrible design.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: