Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a 3rd brakelight.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Yes, I've read all the posts pertaining to this.

I have a May 57 bus, and am trying to add a 3rd brakelight in the rear window. You can't just wire it into the mas cyl, as it blinks with the turn signal. Any ideas on wiring that i ? I did read about changing out the mas cyl to a later unit and wiring it to the 2nd switch. Lota work for that .
Thanks .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

You CAN just wire it to the master cylinder. It doesn't control turn signals. I've done it this way before.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
You CAN just wire it to the master cylinder. It doesn't control turn signals. I've done it this way before.

Not on my bus. Like I said, it just blinks when you put on the signals. The brake lights are wired through the TS switch.

What year is your bus ? If it's the 55 in your pics it has a totally different wiring system.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Hmmm.....perhaps you could put a one way diode in the wire going from master switch to turn signal. Then the power couldn’t backfeed down when you turn on the signals.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Yennek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Okay, let's try this again. You should be able to connect it right up to the brake light switch, and it shouldn't blink with the turn signals if you do that. Assuming a US market '57 bus.

That said, wiring on a 60+year old vehicle is frequently different than as shipped, especially if a 12V conversion was done and who knows what else.

I'm going to assume that the lights work correctly now, ie. you've stood behind it and verified that the correct lights flash when the turn signals are on, with and without the brake pedal pressed.

I presume the output of the brake light switch only flashes when the brakes are not applied and the turn signal is on? and then when you do apply the brakes, the output of the brake light switch is on solid? (I hope so, otherwise I have no clue how your system could even work.....)

If so, try disconnecting the power from the fuse into the brake light circuit and then checking the output with and without the blinkers on. I suspect what might be really happening is that the turn signals might be backfeeding the brake light switch. If that is really what is happening though, I'm not sure how you could get the entire system to work right, unless someone has also spliced in some diodes somewhere.

Something in your system sounds way off from stock. Without some more investigation though, it's hard to know what is what.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Not on my bus. Like I said, it just blinks when you put on the signals. The brake lights are wired through the TS switch.

What year is your bus ? If it's the 55 in your pics it has a totally different wiring system.

I've done it on a 60 and a 66 of mine. The MC switch is just a pressure switch with a power in and a power out. When pressure is applied to the switch, power from one post is run to the other post. I jump straight off the second post. Worked for me!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
gitchesum wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

I've done it on a 60 and a 66 of mine. The MC switch is just a pressure switch with a power in and a power out. When pressure is applied to the switch, power from one post is run to the other post. I jump straight off the second post. Worked for me!

A 60 bus is ( should) be the same as mine. 66 has different outputs from the switch, although it's still a 6 wire.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Yennek wrote:
Okay, let's try this again. You should be able to connect it right up to the brake light switch, and it shouldn't blink with the turn signals if you do that. Assuming a US market '57 bus.

That said, wiring on a 60+year old vehicle is frequently different than as shipped, especially if a 12V conversion was done and who knows what else.

I'm going to assume that the lights work correctly now, ie. you've stood behind it and verified that the correct lights flash when the turn signals are on, with and without the brake pedal pressed.

I presume the output of the brake light switch only flashes when the brakes are not applied and the turn signal is on? and then when you do apply the brakes, the output of the brake light switch is on solid? (I hope so, otherwise I have no clue how your system could even work.....)

If so, try disconnecting the power from the fuse into the brake light circuit and then checking the output with and without the blinkers on. I suspect what might be really happening is that the turn signals might be backfeeding the brake light switch. If that is really what is happening though, I'm not sure how you could get the entire system to work right, unless someone has also spliced in some diodes somewhere.

Something in your system sounds way off from stock. Without some more investigation though, it's hard to know what is what.

I'll check and see with those suggestions you made. The bus was rewire, and I'm still in the process of sorting things out.
Thanks for the suggestions.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:

A 60 bus is ( should) be the same as mine. 66 has different outputs from the switch, although it's still a 6 wire.

Well, my 66 actually has the 9 pin relay so it's not a 6 wire but that's irrelevant since I am saying that you need to wire off the master cylinder. The master cylinders are all the same until 67 and still then the wiring I'm suggesting would work. If you simply go off the master cylinder pressure switch it will work. If not then as mentioned above there is something wonky with your wiring.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a 3rd brakelight. Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The PO had rewired the bus and I am still sorting things out. He had all the wires running between the package tray, and the reinforcing nose bulkhead. That's fixed....now to more.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: