Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KnockKnock...Who's there...a Tow Truck CV Joint tips and repair
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
castlerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: KnockKnock...Who's there...a Tow Truck CV Joint tips and repair Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am back after purchasing a new Westy Wolfsburg. That being said, I am back on the board with a broken van - naturally.

Specs - 1985 Wolfsburg weekender SVX

Today I hoped in the van to take my dogs to the dog park. After pulling on the road I notice a pretty violent knocking. I am thinking to myself CV joints right away. I proceeded to the Dog Park, about 2 miles away, trying to figure out where it was coming from.

After parking a poked my head under the van and did a visual inspection of CV's and nothing out of the ordinary. I decide to fire her up and take her the 2 miles home.

After about 1/2 mile and the knocking quickly increasing... she dropped out of gear and coasted to a stop till the tow truck came to save the day.

Now It starts, engine sounds great but will not engage in any gears.

Could the linkage have anything to do with a knocking sounds or is my transmission likely fried?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Last edited by castlerox on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Bummer. Very sorry to hear that.
Was hoping it was a CV problem.
With luck, maybe it is.

Automatic transmission?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

CV's can sit in place and look just fine and do nothing because the bolts have either backed out or broken off. Chock the wheels, put the parking brake on and start the engine. Put the tranny in gear and then go back and see if either of the output flanges the inner CV's attach to are turning or not. Only one will turn, not both.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

I agree, ^^

The bad knocking could have been the last death sounds from a severely broken CV joint which gave up almost back home.

It could still look fine be be internally deatroyed.

If not that....... severe clutch or transaxle problems.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

X3 on checking CVs first. Slide under the bus and grab each axle and wiggle hard up and down. There should be no play. Now push toward the tranny then toward the rear wheel along the axle. It should have an inch or so of play. Based on what you describe if it is a CV you'll have up and down play (90 degrees to the axle axis).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
castlerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Okay I waited for a little daylight and coffee.

I just went under the van and tugged around.

The Driver side Axle is DEFINITELY loose. A lot of vertical play and its particularly loose where it meets the wheel. It feels very secure at the Tranny point.

I guess its time to start reading about CV joint replacement...

Thanks for your input so far!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Whatever you read and wherever you read it.
Understand that CV quality varies widely, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is 100% true!

If you spend $100 on a "rebuilt axle" at auto zone or similar..... you most likely wasted $100 and you need to plan on replacing it again..... most likely sooner rather than later.
Even if they give you a free warranty replacement, you're still running crap CV's.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Yes, hopefully it's just a CV. Dave's already talked about CV quality.

Maybe you already know all the following, but here's my experience...

It's about a difficulty level 2-4 (vs level 8 for a trans pull) job, depending on if everything goes right or not.

There's a thread on removing the CV bolts.
Caution, there can be a mix of M8 Allen and M8 Triple Square head CV bolts.
Clean all the gunk out of the bolt holes, be certain what type the head is and make sure the tool is completely seated.
It doesn't hurt to tap the tool in with a hammer to make sure it's seated.

Don't panic if you encounter a stripped CV bolt.
In these cases, hammering in an impact torkx socket can work, even if it requires incrementally drilling out the hole until it's big enough for the torkx tool to go in, yet leaving enough material for the torkx "splines" to bite.
I feel naked without a set of these in my tool box.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanchius on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:30 am; edited 3 times in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

just fyi, VanCafe is newly offering a new axle shaft custom made very high quality, Lobro joints, and Rockford boots all as a combo. best of everything in one stop. 2.5X the price of cheap stuff, it will last far more than 2.5X longer.

https://www.vancafe.com/RCVA-p/rcva.htm

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

You need a roll of decent quality paper towels and a pile of shop rags as well, as dealing with CV's is a very messy job.

It is easier to get the bolts out and back in if you have an extra long bit, and as others said the bit may need to be one of two kinds to match your bolts, you may even need both style bits if you have a mixture of different bolts. Carefully cleaning of the socket head will save a lot of grief, you also need to tap the bit into the cleaned socket using a small hammer.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

It should be pretty obvious if it's a CV, have someone look under wile your trying to put her in speed.

I have an old page about rebuilding - checking CV

http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_maintenance.htm

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

You do not need to remove the axle nut to remove the CV. In 40 years I have not needed to do that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

You don't have to remove wheel. Just jack her up a bit so that you can spin it to get to all the bolts. My westy is up high so I can crawl under easily, wheel high enough just to spin, use a 2x4 ad a wheel chock to stop it spinning when you need leverage. Also no need to remove rear axle nut, if you are just doing cv's. You probably want 944 joints.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You do not need to remove the axle nut to remove the CV. In 40 years I have not needed to do that.

Ahmed, Dave, You are both completely correct. I removed that part from my post.

I was also doing a lot of Audi CVs back then, which did require that step. Sorry for the confusion.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

The wheels are certainly on when I do this job, I will get the van up on 4-6" of blocks to get extra room underneath to move around and will use a screw or hydraulic jack to lift the wheel momentarily off its block so I can rotate it.

The torque for the bolts is high, 33ft*lbs and if you don't want your bolts coming out again at some inconvenient time the use of a torque wrench is required, a 3/8" torque wrench being easier to use when under the van than a 1/2" torque wrench, but either will do.

The front wheels need to be chocked!!!
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The wheels are certainly on when I do this job,...

Agreed.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

If your old bolts are nearing the end of their service life, or are mixed head types (Allen, triplesquare, etc.), or if you just like to make things right as you go, replace them all with the proper bolts from the same vendor you buy your CV joints from, along with the specified lock washers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But save one of your old bolts to make this helpful little tool. Cut the head off the bolt, and cut a slot in the unthreaded end so you can insert a flat screwdriver. When installing your new CV's, first thread this ‘alignment tool’ into the uppermost hole in the drive flange of the transaxle or wheel hub, then slip the axle’s CV joint over the protruding tool. The axle will hang in position while you install five proper bolts in the remaining holes; use a screwdriver to remove the tool, then install the final bolt.

It's also advisable to torque the bolts in stages, working your way around in a 'star' pattern just as you would with lug nuts or head bolts: on the first lap first snug them all down, next lap torque to 15-20 ft/lbs, final lap torque to 33 ft/lbs. Remember to check them all again after driving 100 miles, and periodically after that.

Good luck, you got this!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

That's a great idea ! Duh, I have a bunch of old axle bolts. Could even make two. I don't think I've once gotten an outer axle installed without smearing grease into the bolt holes in the hub. Supposed to install bolts dry evidently. They've always gotten greased, I'm over it. Used good washers and torqued to spec without any loosening up, knock on wood. To the OP, you may need to get a tap to chase the bolt holes. At least once the axle is out make sure a bolt will go in easily to each hole. Good luck
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

^^^
Yup super smart
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Knock Knock - Who's there? A tow truck... Reply with quote

Another thing that I do is take a piece of cardboard (like half of a file folder) and shape it into a "U" shape and stuff it up into the cavity in the swing arm member where the out CV fits into the stub axle. The idea is to cover all the dirty crud that lays around in the cavity that can pollute the CV as you set it up into place. Even a tiny piece of dirt between the CV and the flange can keep them from mating tightly leading to bolts that will quickly work loose even if torque correctly. Dirt can of course cause accelerated wear to the CV.

The inner CV wears it ZipLoc bag until the outer bolts are snugged up to keep it protected.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: