Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

I see a few video demonstrations of how to adjust timing on Bay Window busses & on later, water cooled Vanagons. Can anyone point me to a video demonstration on an air-cooled Vanagon (1980-83)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

tobloyd wrote:
I see a few video demonstrations of how to adjust timing on Bay Window busses & on later, water cooled Vanagons. Can anyone point me to a video demonstration on an air-cooled Vanagon (1980-83)

The Federal aircooled Vanagon times the same way as a Federal 76-79 fuel injected bus engine, while the California aircooled Vanagon times the same as the '79 California bus.

For either, it is best to set your timing at 28° BTDC at 3500+ rpms, hose(s) off and plugged than to set it by the book, as the book assumes every part of the system works was well as it did when it left the factory, which is a pretty wild assumption. You don't need a tach to do this just watch the timing advance with your light as you rev the engine and once the timing quits advancing see where the mark aligns with the timing scale.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
For either, it is best to set your timing at 28° BTDC at 3500+ rpms, hose(s) off and plugged than to set it by the book, as the book assumes every part of the system works was well as it did when it left the factory, which is a pretty wild assumption. You don't need a tach to do this just watch the timing advance with your light as you rev the engine and once the timing quits advancing see where the mark aligns with the timing scale.

Yeah, what he said. Same (T4) motor/fuel injection system as late bay window busses. Pull off and plug the vac hoses. With the timing light on, rev the motor "all-in" (until the pulley stops advancing) and set it to 28-32 degrees. 28 is nice and safe.
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The Federal aircooled Vanagon times the same way as a Federal 76-79 fuel injected bus engine, while the California aircooled Vanagon times the same as the '79 California bus.

Awesome, that's great to know, I'll look for a good video for the bus then.

By the way, do you know if the California models were only sold in California or if they were an option available nationwide?

My Vanagon was bought on the east coast, but it got a rebuilt engine put in it. There are at least some of the California parts on the engine, but I don't see a catalytic converter beneath it—although, I'm not exactly sure where to look to find the cat on the post 1981 CA models. The Haynes manual shows it connecting to a crossover pipe behind the muffler and sort of above and inside the heat exchanger.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It doesn't show what connects to the other side of it though, and I don't even see a crossover pipe on my van. It looks like my heat exchangers both connect directly to one long muffler. I guess my exhaust looks most similar to the 2.0 L engine with carburetor induction, but that one only has one heat exchanger, and my engine is fuel injected.

Here's a picture of my exhaust. Any clue what I have going on?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

You have a federal model without a cat.
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled Vanagon Timing demonstration video? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You have a federal model without a cat.

Thanks for verifying. I wonder why that one isn't shown in the Haynes book
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: