Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory Frame rail joining process?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Factory Frame rail joining process? Reply with quote

Watching the barndoor build threads they all do something I never saw on later splits. Everyone seems to add an inner strengthener at the seam mid frame. I thought this was just for added strength for the builder's piece of mind. Like this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic borrowed from Artur

But looking thru the gallery this looks like a barndoor only piece. I had 3 early 1956 Wolfsburg built busses without this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic borrowed from Joe Caraway

Why did vw not continue this?
Also in what way did vw weld the frame rails together? If you look at the weld seam itself, it has two peeks with a valley between them running the length of the seam. Not like and arc, mig, tig, or any welded seem I've seen. Someone once told me this was a fusion type seem by putting power to one frame rail and ground the other and pressure. I didn't think that guy knew what he was talking about. But it is a strange looking weld.
If you Google fusion welding it shows nothing like what the vw welded seam looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Frame rail joining process? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they're resistance welded. And I suspect they determined the "sistering" plate on earlier frames wasn't adding much value, being centrally located. The floor and crossmembers (and body too) bring a fair amount of stiffness to the frame, but since I am not familiar with barndoor frames, there may be other factors at play also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upset_welding

Edit: changed "lapping" to "sistering" to avoid the obvious misnomer. Either way, it's construction jargon Smile

Last edited by Busstom on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Frame rail joining process? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Why did vw not continue this?
The oacdp.org BD manual shows the reinforcement plate as part no. 211 703 117

PR has a mention at 14 Nov. 53 : Chassis Now: side members with welded reinforcements
Parts List calls out frame rail as "side member."

1958 Parts list still has it in there... buy my Feb. '58 bus does not have the plates.

oacdp.org 58-67 Parts List shows it as NLA.

So, don't really know the answer to your question... just putting up some background info.

I'd imagine it's some variety of butt weld. From what I remember... looked like double sided arc to me.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Frame rail joining process? Reply with quote

You know, I have this on my April 55 bus and I always thought it was an add on from somewhere in the buses past. I just learned something new!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Frame rail joining process? Reply with quote

To me, the frame rail welds always looked like larger versions of "upset butt welds" that are used to join band saw blades together. (I used to be in the band saw industry)
For those interested in the machinery and process, here is a link to the foremost supplier of band saw and strip steel welders. https://www.ideal-werk.com/en/products/band-saws/
The process pushes the two pieces of steel together and the slag and impurities form a similar ridge of material thar can be seen on the bus frames.
The same machine also annals the welded area, and then the slag is ground off to create the finished blade surface.
I'd imagine that the machines used to weld the bus frame rails together were similar, albeit a bit larger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: