Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 FI to 1979 FI
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
That is a beautiful blue on a Bay. What color is that?

Thanks. I spent a lot of time on getting the panels really close to flat. and still there's a few spots that I missed, but it's good for a driver.
The color is actually Lamborghini Blu Le Mans. Pretty close to Reef Blue. Top is Mercedes Bianco White. Both PPG. I was told as a side effect, I would gain and extra few HP's Wink

And girlfriends too probably! LOL. Its a really pretty color on a Bay.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Thanks. I spent a lot of time on getting the panels really close to flat. and still there's a few spots that I missed, but it's good for a driver.
The color is actually Lamborghini Blu Le Mans. Pretty close to Reef Blue. Top is Mercedes Bianco White. Both PPG. I was told as a side effect, I would gain and extra few HP's Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

I bet it's Orient Blue, like my 1973. I am working on removing the spray paint from mine:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton wrote:
Here's the bus I'm working on for the last 2 years... After:

The body work is outstanding. The panels are like mirrors.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Just like RustBus, I did the same FI swap into my 1972 (Oct. 1971) Deluxe 9 Passenger Bus.

It wasn't particularly hard for me to do. I did procure a late Bay FI fuel tank, had it hot tanked and lined, and swapped that in. I cut a hole for the FI box, and had an FI airbox stand fabricated (also bolted in) for the FI airbox. FI fuel pump was bolted in using a rubber mount isolated system to the left rear frame rail. I also bolted up a 210mm flywheel and clutch for the existing 3 rib transmission.

I had a small wiring issue in the FI harness but overcame that after a bit of troubleshooting.

I'd say if you decide to go forward with the swap, be sure you replace all fuel lines (with good new ethanol resistant fuel line) and use the right FI clamps and metal lines where needed. Probably also plan for a bulkhead fitting like I made in my thread, that will overcome the one major weak point of the FI fuel system. Injectors may also need a rehab, that's pretty cheap to have done.

Plan, label, and use the correct hardware and it'll be a good swap and as reliable as stock FI from a late bay can be.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
It sounds like a lot of people who have done this swap will just "T" into the suction side of the pump and hook the return line in there.

I would recommend to the OP that he find a pump with 5/16 (8mm) OD inlets and outlets and use that over the stock pump that has different sized inlets and outlets, and then use the later style canister filter after the pump as per 1986 and later Vanagons and all other FI VW of the era.

Ah....yeah....I should have known that! Forgot all about that method. Getting slow...... Rolling Eyes

And.....that method is not really a problem. It works better to put a small accumulator right there in that spot T spot right before the pump.

The only downside.....is when the tank gets really low. Without the return line feed right next to the suction side you can be more prone to suck air.

The flow of the fuel leaving the tank is only what the engine requires not the full flow through the pump, plus the bus tank sits high so gravity helps keep the fuel under pressure, so I doubt there is too much of a problem unless the fuel in the loop gets overly hot.

Yes....not quite.....with a carburetor.....that is close to true. However with fuel injection like he is moving back to.....the pump moves about 1 liter per minute through the fuel loop. Thats 33.8 ounces per minute.

Even at 15mpg at 60 mph.....thats only 2.25 ounces per minute actual usage by by the engine....per minute. So the pump moves roughly 15X what the engine uses........but I get what you were getting at..... Wink

Its close to a 1:1 movement of fuel going out and fuel coming back in at a constant. And as you note with the higher tank you are not as likely to pull a vortex at very low tank levels like in regular cars. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
It sounds like a lot of people who have done this swap will just "T" into the suction side of the pump and hook the return line in there.

I would recommend to the OP that he find a pump with 5/16 (8mm) OD inlets and outlets and use that over the stock pump that has different sized inlets and outlets, and then use the later style canister filter after the pump as per 1986 and later Vanagons and all other FI VW of the era.

Ah....yeah....I should have known that! Forgot all about that method. Getting slow...... Rolling Eyes

And.....that method is not really a problem. It works better to put a small accumulator right there in that spot T spot right before the pump.

The only downside.....is when the tank gets really low. Without the return line feed right next to the suction side you can be more prone to suck air.

The flow of the fuel leaving the tank is only what the engine requires not the full flow through the pump, plus the bus tank sits high so gravity helps keep the fuel under pressure, so I doubt there is too much of a problem unless the fuel in the loop gets overly hot.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
So I guess Stu will have to share

Ha! Room for all...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

So I guess Stu will have to share
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton wrote:
Here's the bus I'm working on for the last 2 years. A little before and after.
Before:

After:

Sweeet! If you want, I can set you up on a Z bed in my garage and you can finish some of my projects. I rarely seem to get anything done. I can pay you in citrus and maybe some avocados.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

FWIW this tank is really clean. You’d likely get back some or all of your investment offering your tank back to another user. Stock is king.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2244105
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Yep, that's my plan for that T.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Here's the bus I'm working on for the last 2 years. A little before and after.
Before:

After:
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Keep up posted, okay? It will help future Sambanistas wanting to do the same thing.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Ok, lotsa food for thought. Thanks for the tip on the bell housing. I know a yard up the road that should have one I can pull. Rustybus, i'll check your thread out.

I'm not going into project thinking it's gonna be a snap. But I am good at staying on task and debugging issues as they arise. Most importantly, I DON'T quit projects once I start them (much to my wife's chagrin). If it takes me 6 months of my evenings to get it swapped, then 6 months it is.

Thanks for all the info, guys.[/img]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
chaddhamilton wrote:
[ I will probably just T off the return instead of welding the fuel tank.

I don't think that's gonna work. The fuel pressure regulator uses the the return line to regulate the fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel return line for the regulator to bleed pressure to, then it seems to me you'd have an overly rich mixture all the time, perhaps significantly, as those FI fuel pumps are capable of putting out a far higher pressure than what the FI system needs/wants.

The system is dumb and has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is; it just assumes it is correct. If the pressure is not correct, mixture will be affected.

Yeah....I'm not exactly sure what he meant by "T off"......

Did he mean dead end.....like you think he did? Because ...yes.....it will result in very high/rich fuel mixture and at probably 70 plus psi everything from the iniector bodies to the pump crimp seal may leak.

Or did he mean.....T it back into the feed line at an accumulator.....which still will not work....same thing kind of.....

Or did he mean use a T and run it up to the filler neck or one of the vent hoses?....which can work fine.
Ray
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Here are a couple things that should help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670338&highlight=fuel+injection

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

I swapped out dual carbs to FI a couple years ago with a huge amount of help from the Sambanistas and Asiab3.
It's not a difficult process, but not a walk in the park. Best of luck!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton wrote:
[ I will probably just T off the return instead of welding the fuel tank.

I don't think that's gonna work. The fuel pressure regulator uses the the return line to regulate the fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel return line for the regulator to bleed pressure to, then it seems to me you'd have an overly rich mixture all the time, perhaps significantly, as those FI fuel pumps are capable of putting out a far higher pressure than what the FI system needs/wants.

The system is dumb and has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is; it just assumes it is correct. If the pressure is not correct, mixture will be affected.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: