Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to unlock steering without key
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H8 Ashbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

I purchased a '78 with title but no keys and need to get it home. It is in a precarious position that will require the steering to be unlocked so that I can move it. It is located "2 weeks from everywhere" and needs to be moved expeditiously. (Unfortunately, no time to drive to it, get a key code, hope the ignition matches the door, and wait for a key in the mail.) A key is not an option and neither is getting underneath the bus, until the steering can be unlocked.

This isn't covered in Bentley. I read the procedure for replacing the switch, but it involves inserting the key to unlock the steering.

So. What exactly unlocks the steering? The turning of the key in the (upper) lock cylinder or the activation of the (lower) switch? Wondering if I can drill out the lock cylinder and then operate the switch to free the steering. Messy headache but is there another option?

Ideas? Thanks all!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

for the least amount of damage I would pull the column out then work on it on the bench.

lock assys are big bucks in good shape if you damage it. swing the column away from the dash and slide the whole deal up (after removing the steering wheel that is)

the lock pin just sits in a groove, and pulling the whole deal up should clear it (it does on the early bays)

then put the wheel back on the steering shaft. it will be a wobbly mess but will steer the bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

look in the engine bay like you want to hide a key somewhere. look there. If it is not there, I almost guarantee you that you will find one, someday, when cleaning out or working under the bus. Laughing
edit, 68 to 73, check the gas door
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

Can you at least get under the nose and disconnect the tie rods?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

Put a dolly under the front wheels. Disconnect the rear drive shafts. Beyond that hire a locksmith.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:

Maybe disconnect the drag link, but not the tie rods as that would leave the bus untowable for even a short distance.

To the OP, remove the lock cylinder from the passenger door and take it in to a locksmith and have a key made to fit. He should have it for you in an hour or so.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to unlock steering without key Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
alaskadan wrote:

Maybe disconnect the drag link, but not the tie rods as that would leave the bus untowable for even a short distance.

To the OP, remove the lock cylinder from the passenger door and take it in to a locksmith and have a key made to fit. He should have it for you in an hour or so.

Worst case, the drag links aren't all that expensive and very possibly the ends are worn anyway. So you could sawzall that sucker!

As was said, I have found a spare key hidden by previous owners in at least half of the VWs I currently own! (The '78 Bus had a spare stashed on/around the left battery, the '02 Golf had a spare wired up to a part of the frame that I found when I pulled the rear bumper to build a trailer hitch.) So going by that, you've got 50/50 odds!

But likely you don't need to send away for a cut key. If you can find a code, a local locksmith can probably cut you a key, too. Maybe call a couple in the area to make sure they can do it.

I've had my '78 apart a time or two and am having a hard time picturing doing something like Skills described with it. Maybe it is different enough to an early Bay. Does seem like you could possibly also disconnect the column from the steering box but that would still mean you'd have to get under the bus.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: