Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2275cc stoplight to stoplight
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Embarassed That was a pretty huge and goofy accounting error I made there in only counting the width increase on one side. 1.3" more width is a real problem unless I want to baja the back of my car. I guess I'd have figured it out when I saw the back of my car crumpling up as it sat down on the valve covers. Not really, with the light weight of the back of a '59 bug that would never happen unless bulldozer was placed on top of the bug, then the bug lowered onto the engine. LOL

I'll give a lot of consideration to the 5.325 rods. I see that CB sells those as well as 5.4 and 5.5 Super Race rods. I'm dying to be working on this 2332 engine instead of just talking about it, but I have to wait for the funds to come in to buy the bottom end now that I've got the top end. In the meantime I need to do some cleanup of the parts that came with my WW Okrasa kit so I can get ready to install those on my 36hp. This can be my winter project.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Luved my old 2332 with a short Porsche length rods, even with a mild W120 cam, it sure haulded A$$, Like John stated I needed to shorten the piston skirts, very easy to do Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

I believe besides narrowing the engine, one other benefit of running shorter rods is more low-end torque. What about high rpms? Does rod length enhance/impede high-rpm performance?

To hit upon the theme of this thread, most street-battles are won stoplight to stoplight anyway, so no high rpm runs unless I go racing I guess.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Agreed on the stoplight to stoplight. What I've been doing is make sure to either start from a stop or a very slow roll where I can be in second and ready to spool the turbo up good. That way they are probably still in first and ready to spin tires still. Once I'm ahead and maybe 60 mph, I just get back out of it like the race is done. Seems like at 60-65 mph is where the big engine cars can go right around me. They have been accepting it so far! I have a 4.37 r&p so my car probably would barely go 100 mph anyway!
The roads I race on are only 50 mph zones so it's acceptable to get out of it around 60 anyway!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

I’ve been running with no decklid, easier to make changes but it’s really hard to hide what you have it also doesn’t sound like a Volkswagen, sounds more like a Harley at idle. Being in a naturally aspirated Bug your advantages how fast it gets off the line and if you’re racing a car faster than you you hope to scare them into not finishing. That’s what happened with the Porsche GT3 yesterday I got far enough in front of him that after second gear he didn’t want to play anymore
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
I believe besides narrowing the engine, one other benefit of running shorter rods is more low-end torque. What about high rpms? Does rod length enhance/impede high-rpm performance?

To hit upon the theme of this thread, most street-battles are won stoplight to stoplight anyway, so no high rpm runs unless I go racing I guess.

I would not get into shorter vs longer rods when its only a little shorter vs a little longer. You need to go to a 5.7 rod to get the rod ratio high enough to see a difference. 5.35 vs 5.5 is not much difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

FWIW,

The B pistons were originally designed for stock length rods and an 82 crank.

Not that this works all of the time,
And you still have to check everything,
But that was the idea when they made the stuff..

What’s That Noise?!?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

James Beam used a 5.325 rod with an 84mm stroke crank in his engine build shootout 2332. If I remember correctly, he also needed to clearance the piston underneath the wrist pin along with the skirts. This was with a Wiseco piston though. Regardless, there will be out of the ordinary machine work needed.

It gets real tight....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Yep remember his and my 2332 built was the same time Laughing
torque Monsters and mine rev to 8k often Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Yep remember his and my 2332 built was the same time :lol:
torque Monsters and mine rev to 8k often :wink:

Wasn't Jim's a FK45 with 1.4 rockers, 9.5:1 compression ratio, 48 Dells with 40 venturis, Wedge Ports with fully ported manifolds and a 1 5/8" header and pulled over 200 HP? I think he was shy of that number at the contest due to a rocker problem.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Here is Jim's post
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231563&highlight=fk
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

In my current build I have 5.325” rods with a 82mm stroke and special 96mm pistons. The pin is very close to the counterweights of my Chinese crank. I still need to do a little clearance work, and the pistons already have a profiled skirt to clear most stuff. With a 84mm stroke and 5.325” rods, it’s best to custom order a set of pistons.

I had these made to run with a 90mm stroke and 5.700” rods, and be exactly the width of a stock engine. They clear the crank despite only having a 1.6 ratio.

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
James Beam used a 5.325 rod with an 84mm stroke crank in his engine build shootout 2332. If I remember correctly, he also needed to clearance the piston underneath the wrist pin along with the skirts. This was with a Wiseco piston though. Regardless, there will be out of the ordinary machine work needed.

It gets real tight....

Shocked Shocked I see what you mean!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
In my current build I have 5.325” rods with a 82mm stroke and special 96mm pistons. The pin is very close to the counterweights of my Chinese crank. I still need to do a little clearance work, and the pistons already have a profiled skirt to clear most stuff. With a 84mm stroke and 5.325” rods, it’s best to custom order a set of pistons.

I had these made to run with a 90mm stroke and 5.700” rods, and be exactly the width of a stock engine. They clear the crank despite only having a 1.6 ratio.

Those are some trick looking pistons. That is about the least amount of piston skirt I recall seeing, at least on a veedub!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
madmike wrote:
Yep remember his and my 2332 built was the same time Laughing
torque Monsters and mine rev to 8k often Wink

Wasn't Jim's a FK45 with 1.4 rockers, 9.5:1 compression ratio, 48 Dells with 40 venturis, Wedge Ports with fully ported manifolds and a 1 5/8" header and pulled over 200 HP? I think he was shy of that number at the contest due to a rocker problem.

That sounds like strong motor. He mentioned in the thread that even with 9.5:1 CR he got pinging once the heads were heat soaked. Sounds like he also had older heads? I know my SPs have 9 fins whereas some heads have only 8. The latest round of CB CNC heads also have the reshaped combustion chamber, so hopefully ping-age won't be as bad once it gets warmed up. Wouldn't matter much anyway since this will be my Friday/Saturday engine, with a couple stockers on standby for daily use.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Just ordered the FK46 from ACN. I still need the ally case, oil pump and sump, and a few odds and ends to be able to get started mocking it up. Soon, soon... (hopefully!)
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Just ordered the FK46 from ACN. I still need the ally case, oil pump and sump, and a few odds and ends to be able to get started mocking it up. Soon, soon... (hopefully!)

I've been loosely reading up on cams... Just kinda thinking where I'd go next with my 2276.
Seen several people suggesting the Web 86C or CB 2289 are both better in the mid range and pull more peak HP whislt also being kinder on the valvetrain.

I did search back through this thread but didn't see any talk on the matter. What is your reason for going with the FK?

Not bashing in the slightest btw!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Yeah no, no yeah... Razz That is a perfectly legit question.

I guess the reason I went with the FK over web or cb is mainly that Mark Herbert (RIP) mentioned how with the combo I'm working on and the FK46 he "destroyed" anything that moved, at least stoplight to stoplight lol. This and the fact that back in the day my 1776 ran an Engle 120, which in restrospect was far too much cam but man did that little engine wind out.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

Awesome!
Sure it'll pull, the rate of acceleration on those must be crazy!
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275cc stoplight to stoplight Reply with quote

CB used a 2300 cam w/1.25 rockers and Panchito heads in a video and made 181hp https://youtu.be/De8iVAAzb-U very impressive what Pat Downs is building.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: