Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Beetle electrical issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Hi, first time posting. You guys are awesome and post some really good info, although some of it is above my head. Me and my daughter went in on a 72 beetle that has run pretty well so far. We’re having an electrical issue, well... prob more than one. Number 1... generator light comes on but only when the lights are on AND if either I push on the brake, or turn a blinker or emergency flashers on. Number 2... car dies when I put it in reverse but has in the past until yesterday always started right back up. Yesterday it died and now won’t restart, it just clicks once and nothing... The green wire on the ignition coil is connected to the neg side, so from what I’ve read in these forums is that seems correct. I’ve changed the generator brushes and cleaned/tightened some connections. Looks like there was a engine fire at one point so I’m not sure what is original or what might be pieced together. I’m considering getting new wiring harnesses but don’t want to bite off more than I can handle. Thanks for your time and be gentle please... Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Problem #2 is quite common, when someone connects the wire for the backup lights to the coil (-) instead of to the coil (+) terminal. Put the transmission in reverse, and you kill the ignition. Although that will not stop the starter from working, so sounds like you may have picked up an additional problem.

Unless you have a tachometer, the only wire on the (-) coil terminal should be the (normally green) wire to the distributor. The coil (+) terminal will have the power wire from the ignition switch, the wire that provides power to the backup lights (should have an in-line fuse holder in that wire), and a wire that goes to the carburetor for the idle cutoff solenoid and automatich choke.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I looked at it again today... that 2nd wire is white and actually connects back to the positive side of the coil. So the click is the starter? Thanks again.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

VWGerry wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I looked at it again today... that 2nd wire is white and actually connects back to the positive side of the coil. So the click is the starter? Thanks again.

Huh?? The 2nd wire on your negative coil terminal connects back to the positive coil terminal??? Confused

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

The battery is good I think, measures about 12.3v and same to regulator.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Yes here’s a pic. I’ll take the cover off the wire to make sure.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

I don't think that wire is actually going back to the + terminal on the coil- I think it's going somewhere else in all that corrugated plastic tubing. At any rate the only thing that would possibly connect to your - coil temrinal besides the green condenser wire is a tach wire (unless you're running electronic ignition which you apparenty are not.)
Just disconnect that wire from the - coil terminal and then see what happens when you try starting the car again. (Don't let it ground out against anything just wrap the end of it with tape or something.)

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Apologies- I just thought of what else that wire could be-- it could simply be a diagnostic wire going to the (now obsolete) diagnostic port on your firewall. The original 72 wire harness would have had a white wire with green stripe connected to the - coil terminal for this, that may be what that is. Probably not your issue- unless it really DOES go back to the + coil terminal!
(P.S. The + coil terminal also had a diagnostic wire coming off it in 72, this wire was plain white, so that may be what you are thinking is the other end of that wire.)

1600 SP engine
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure it went to the positive side but I’ll confirm tomorrow. I went out to look a while ago and it’s raining pretty good, so tomorrow it is.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

VWGerry wrote:
Hi, first time posting.

Welcome to TheSamba!

VWGerry wrote:
Me and my daughter went in on a 72 beetle that has run pretty well so far. We’re having an electrical issue, well... prob more than one. Number 1... generator light comes on but only when the lights are on AND if either I push on the brake, or turn a blinker or emergency flashers on.
<...>
Yesterday it died and now won’t restart, it just clicks once and nothing...

Both of these are indicators your battery may be going bad. Or maybe the connections from the battery are very dirty/old and need cleaning to improve the current flow.

VWGerry wrote:
The battery is good I think, measures about 12.3v and same to regulator.

Actually, that shows your battery is only around 50% state of charge. Voltage reading at your battery posts should read 12.6v when fully charged (100% state of charge).
Take it to your FLAPS to get it recharged and tested.

How old is your battery. Normal lead-acid batteries have a average life expectancy of around 5yrs. If it is older than this, you may be due for a new one.

VWGerry wrote:
Number 2... car dies when I put it in reverse but has in the past until yesterday always started right back up.

What are all the wires connected to your ignition coil? Someone has done a nice job tidying up the wires and appear to have installed new wires of different colors too. That makes it hard to guess where the wires go.
There DEFINITELY should NOT be any wires directly running between the two small terminals of the ignition coil.

Identify which wires are for your reverse lights (normally powered from the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal) and remove it. Then you can check if your engine still dies when going into reverse.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Man, I really, really hate that plastic split loom! Twisted Evil
Before you go too far trying to start it, you should probably get that carburetor cleaned up and make sure it isn't leaking gasoline from the fuel line where it goes into the carb. It looks really wet in this picture.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

This may help:

Core wiring in the engine compartment. You need to ID all of these circuits and the color/paths of the wires for your case since they appear to be non-stock.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Ok so I was wrong, that white wire doesn’t go to the positive side. I’ll still remove that white wire from the negative side if it’s not needed.

@Q-Dog, thanks for that heads up, it is definitely wet so I’ll check it out. Going to remove all that split loom so I can see where everything is going.

@ashman40, I will trace everything out and will have the battery tested. I hope it’s that simple. We’ve only had the car for a view months so I don’t know how old it is.

Also looks like they might have changed the fuse to the reverse switch. It’s a 2 prong 30amp. You can see it on the right side of the pic where I’m holding the white wire.

Hopefully today I’ll have the time to get the battery tested, trace out the wiring and check those fuel lines.

Thanks so much for all your input!
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

I’ll still take the battery in for testing but I charged it yesterday and it now measures 12.63v. Key off position.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

VWGerry wrote:
I’ll still take the battery in for testing but I charged it yesterday and it now measures 12.63v. Key off position.

A quick DIY load test is to place your VM on your battery terminals and monitor the voltage AS you crank the engine. You should expect to see the voltage drop into the 10-11v range, but it you see the voltage drop off much more than this while trying to crank the engine it suggests the battery is worn out.
A new battery will easily maintain at least 11.0v or more while cranking.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

The lowest it dropped was 12.19v but it is only clicking once and doesn’t turn over at all. It dropped to 12.4 the first time then climbed back to about 12.50, then dropped a little lower each time I tried.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

The battery sounded a little weak last time it started. I ran it for a little while and hasn’t started back up after it died from putting it into reverse. It’s just been doing the 1 click thing, nothing else.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

Took the battery to get tested, it tested good but borderline I guess? So brought it, out it back in and tried to jump start it, got the same one click noise. Had my wife try to start it so I could listen where the noise is coming from and I’m 99.9% sure it’s coming from the starter. Could it have fried somehow when I put it into reverse? I ask because I never heard it click before this happened. I’ve never had a starter just go out like that. I was trying to physically locate it to see if I could tap it but I can’t find it. The sound is coming from the right side just behind and above the valves.
VWGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

So maybe not the starter? I just watched a video of a starter replacement and the noise I’m hearing is farther back than where the starter looks like it’s located in the video. The noise sounds like it’s really close to the rear right fender and I can almost feel the click with my hand touching the fender when my wife turned the key over.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Beetle electrical issues Reply with quote

VWGerry wrote:
Took the battery to get tested, it tested good but borderline I guess? So brought it, out it back in and tried to jump start it, got the same one click noise. Had my wife try to start it so I could listen where the noise is coming from and I’m 99.9% sure it’s coming from the starter. Could it have fried somehow when I put it into reverse? I ask because I never heard it click before this happened. I’ve never had a starter just go out like that. I was trying to physically locate it to see if I could tap it but I can’t find it. The sound is coming from the right side just behind and above the valves.

This pic may help. The starter is located on the top-right side of the transmission. Basically above the right rear axle.

In the above pic the black cylinder is the starter motor itself. The smaller silver cylinder is the starter solenoid.

Sometimes the solenoid will get stuck. Take a wood handle (or the plastic handle of a large screwdriver) and give the solenoid a few wacks. This can loosen the internals if they are getting stuck.

While under there check that the wires have a clean connection to pass maximum current.
Check that the wire braid ground strap at the front end of the transmission also has a good solid connection.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: