Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot starting problem solved at last
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Hutchinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Hot starting problem solved at last Reply with quote

This thread is for all those who experience problems when trying to start their splitscreen when the engine is hot.

My camper is a 1967 EZ camper that I imported form oldbug about 17 yerars ago and has been mostly trouble free. It runs a stock 1600 SP with an german solex carb and standard distributor ignition. It always starts at the turn of the key when cold and usually ok when hot but a couple of years back it became difficult to start when hot or after a run of more than 20 mins. I looked at the usual suspects -points condenser rota arm but changing them made little difference.

Stating the camper when hot did take a long time, if I stopped for petrol or pulled over for a break the engine would turn over freely but just would not fire. It felt like it just needed a new set of points but it wasnt that simple.
Then it got worse and would stall at junctions and in traffic jams and take forever to sart. I have to say that it always did eventually but sometimes I would have to wait 10 -15 mins.

I looked though every hot start problem on here and tried most of the recomended fixes but with no improvement. I changed plugs points condenser rota arm dissy cap and plug leads using NOS stock parts when available all with no improvement. I was convinced the problem was ignition based so I moved onto an electronic ignition kit made by gammatronix, made no difference. Took off all the cables to the ign switch and starter and cleaned them even fitted a hot start relay, heat shield on the starter motor and new starter motor bush but nothing made any difference.

Next I turned to the carb and checked the needle valve was working and that fuel was not entering the venturi and flooding the engine but all seemed fine. As a last resort i Bought a new fuel pump and rod and guess what it solved the problem. Starts up cold and now hot with no issues . So to all you guys with similar problems dont give up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hot starting problem solved at last Reply with quote

Sometimes it just takes replacing one part at a time.

Had a too heavy carb float that probably was the original one from the factory in our 1963 SC, but that was a problem in hot and cold weather. In another engine needed to add a second shut off valve gasket to stop hot weather flooding
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot starting problem solved at last Reply with quote

Congrats Tony on finding out it was a fuel pump issue.

Now you ought to buy or borrow a fuel pump pressure gauge and put it inline using a "T" fitting and see what pressure your fuel pump is putting out measured in the fuel line line between the output pipe on your new fuel pump and the input pipe on your carburetor, measured at both idle and also at about 3000 rpm. As I recall, your pump should not be putting out more that about 3 PSI at 3,000 rpm and at idle maybe no less than about 1.8 PSI or so. Someone with a 1966 or '67 "Without Guesswork" booklet handy will hopefully pop-in here to tell us the exact minimum and preferred maximum.

If a correction is needed, you can adjust pressure by adding/subtracting paper gaskets under the intermediate Bakelite base piece (but always have at least one paper gasket both above and below the Bakelite piece).

Happy motoring!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot starting problem solved at last Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Someone with a 1966 or '67 "Without Guesswork" booklet handy will hopefully pop-in here to tell us the exact minimum and preferred maximum.

Left click on the "Technical" button at upper right of this screen and that will take one to all the technical VW info on TS. Scroll down to find those on the right side of the screen. The 1966 issue of that is available... Smile
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hot starting problem solved at last Reply with quote

According to the Jan 1966 issue of VW "Without Guesswork" pocket booklet of specs for dealership mechanics, fuel pressure for a stock Transporter with a 1500 cc engine the fuel pump output should be:

The following is for a 1 ton Transporter with a "stock/original" 1500 cc engine with a stock carb and an original fuel pump (part number 211 127 025 with the "VW 3" stamped into its body:

At 1,000 rpm at least 1.3 PSI
From 1,000 rpm to 3,000 rpm about 1.8 PSI
From between 3,000 to 3,400 rpm about 2.5 PSI PSI
From between 3,400 rpm to 3,800 rpm about 2.8 PSI

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: