Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

I have been trouble shooting the tail lights on my 1970 beetle. The front turn signals all work, the head lights are working, but the brake lights are only operational when the key is turned off and the running lights are on. The turn signals and the reverse lights are not operational. Firstly, I have tested both tail light apparatus' on the front turn signals, and they are all operational. After replacing the left-most fuse, the turn signals began to work with key on and running lights on, but it was blinking on the brake light, not the turn indicator. (middle light).

I noticed the harness wires are different colors than what the diagram shows in my service manual, as well as on pictures I have found online. I have a grey, red, black, green, tan, and a white skinny wire for both left and right. I have tried different configurations on the leads, and the best result I have gotten thus far is red for turn signal, black and grey for brake light, and green for reverse. Could it possibly be a bad harness? It looks dated. The other thing, could it be unplugged somewhere other than the fuse box? The connections at the fuse box seem to be correct, as what the diagram shows for a '70 bug. The emergency flashers do not work all, front and rear, but I am not as concerned about that at the moment, haha.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for your help, Samba community! You guys have been tremendously helpful. Sorry if there is a similar post somewhere, my search produced little.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

I have a Euro '70, so it doesn't have the reversing light feature but the wiring should be the same apart from that.

There are two plastic connectors which might be hidden away from view on the right side of the vehicle. It could be behind the engine tar board, or might be visible from under the car. There is also one on the right. They pass through from the left hand side top where the main loom comes in at the top of the engine bay and across to the right side, so if you pull at it, the wiring might come free. Better to remove the tar board partially however by bending some of the sharp prongs that hold it attached.

The right side connector colours appear to be (it's pretty greasy in there):

2 in-2 out connector
Black/Red goes to Black goes to one side of stop light
Black/Green goes to Red goes to indicator

2-in-1 out connector
Tan/Red in and Grey/Blue in goes to grey out goes to other side of stop light.

In addition there is a single brown which is the earth which connects down on the engine side tray to provide earth.

There are repeater wires that go across the back of the engine back to the other side of the car to provide common power for the brake lights/tail lights and a separate one for the blinkers. I would assume your white wire will be for the back up lights although my wiring diagram shows it would have been a solid black wire.
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I have a Euro '70, so it doesn't have the reversing light feature but the wiring should be the same apart from that.

There are two plastic connectors which might be hidden away from view on the right side of the vehicle. It could be behind the engine tar board, or might be visible from under the car. There is also one on the right. They pass through from the left hand side top where the main loom comes in at the top of the engine bay and across to the right side, so if you pull at it, the wiring might come free. Better to remove the tar board partially however by bending some of the sharp prongs that hold it attached.

The right side connector colours appear to be (it's pretty greasy in there):

2 in-2 out connector
Black/Red goes to Black goes to one side of stop light
Black/Green goes to Red goes to indicator

2-in-1 out connector
Tan/Red in and Grey/Blue in goes to grey out goes to other side of stop light.

In addition there is a single brown which is the earth which connects down on the engine side tray to provide earth.

There are repeater wires that go across the back of the engine back to the other side of the car to provide common power for the brake lights/tail lights and a separate one for the blinkers. I would assume your white wire will be for the back up lights although my wiring diagram shows it would have been a solid black wire.

It doesn't have reverse lights? Or they don't work?

Going off of the 2-in-1 connectors, red is black and visaa-versa. I connected it in the pattern you described, post 2-in-1's and I am at the same place. The brake lights work when the running lights are on, key on or off now. Turn signals are affecting the brake lights, and I haven't gotten left or right side units or wires to produce the turn signal or affect the turn signal light. Confused
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

All I can suggest is that you wire it up correctly with colours and work back towards ignition and light switch until you find the culprit.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

Black is turn signal
Grey is parking lights
Red is brakes
Blue is reverse lights
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

Wow. Sorry if I've led you astray here. As I indicated my vehicle is a Euro model without reversing lights. I would have thought that they used the same wiring for the lights and if a reversing light was added then they would just have added another new wire.

Here's the wiring going to the rear lights before I pulled the car down. It was an unmolested '70 model. You can see why I advised you of the colours as I did. It's not as VW_Jimbo or apparently his Bentley diagram posts.

Edit: The colours I gave you were in agreement with what you first posted for the indicator and brake light wire orientation.

All I can suggest to clarify exactly is to turn your blinkers on and using a test light globe on see which of the wires is giving you the flashing signal. You then know at least which is the blinker light. Then turn off the blinkers and turn on the lights and see which wire is constantly on. This should be the tail light. Then repeat by putting into reverse. Assuming the switch on the gearbox is connected and working, then this is the reverse light. The last remaining wire will be the brake light which you would have to test with another person pumping the brake pedal.

I don't have the Bentley drawing that VW_Jimbo has posted, but I looked up an earlier '68 Bentley which I DO have and the wiring is as per what I explained originally. So there must have been a big change in wiring colours after 68 and what VW_Jimbo posted. Now I am confused too.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

In addition your original photo showed white sheathed wire. All my wiring is black sheathed going into the engine bay.
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

I copied this image from a post that I read a while ago, I think Ashman40 supplied the image.

Rick
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Black is turn signal
Grey is parking lights
Red is brakes
Blue is reverse lights

I have tried that configuration and the best I was able to get were brake lights when the running lights were on. Confused
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 beetle brake lights / tail light question Reply with quote

You said you have, grey, red, black, green, tan, and a white.

Grey is most probably for the parking light.

Red is most probably for the brakes.

Green is most probably for the turn signals.

Black is most probably for the reverse light.

Tan is most probably for the ground.

White ? Side marker light? Not sure, no experience with white wires on VWs, except for fuel injection.

Can you get a picture of your wiring at the fuse panel?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: