Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brass acorn exhaust nuts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
do to the heat, spring lock washers oft dont work well here. Everytime I had used them, I later found that the lost spring, and turned into flat washers with a slit in them

these are slit-less Bellvue washers, might keep their sproing better. but.... have you EVER had a Vanagon exhaust nut come loose? at least in the rust belt, lock washers are not needed.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

'nother update... nearly 3 years later, the brass acorn nuts look pretty much brand new. 100% satisfied with them and i KNOW they'll come off easy.

that said, FCP has some "copper nuts" i'd not seen before. you get a 100 but they're onsale for $40 off right now. they LOOK different than the miserable copper plated steel nuts that last about 6 months. who knows! someone try some of these and report back. i'd buy some but i'm too dang happy using brass acorn nuts and will do so for any future work.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-exhaust-nut-18301737774

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
'nother update... nearly 3 years later, the brass acorn nuts look pretty much brand new. 100% satisfied with them and i KNOW they'll come off easy.

that said, FCP has some "copper nuts" i'd not seen before. you get a 100 but they're onsale for $40 off right now. they LOOK different than the miserable copper plated steel nuts that last about 6 months. who knows! someone try some of these and report back. i'd buy some but i'm too dang happy using brass acorn nuts and will do so for any future work.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-exhaust-nut-18301737774
Thanks Dan, I ordered some to give them a try, as you noted, they or almost anything else might hold up better than the Copper Plated nuts I currently use.
Good to hear the Brass is working out for you with no issues.
Years ago, BMW had lots of issues with the buzzy 4 cyl engine of the E-30 M3s walking both studs and exhaust nuts off the engine.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
But, they were smaller than the normal 8mm version, I think 6mm if I remember right. Embarassed Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

if they really are non-magnetic, copper nuts, i'll buy a pack too for other uses!

had to go out and snap a picture of the nuts that were installed in Feb 2019.... look pretty swell considering 2 salty winters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

I followed Dan's lead and used the brass Acorn nuts.

While time passage has been less than a year, I am up to 12,000 troubk free mikes running them.

Highly recommend them!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

link us in for the best source to purchase some , want to go stainless ex this year, want to add those.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
link us in for the best source to purchase some , want to go stainless ex this year, want to add those.

don't have a link for you but search for M8x1.25 "High crown" cap nuts. the important part being 'high crown' which gives extra depth for the stud. brass or stainless, both are available. i'm surprized how well brass works in corrosive conditions, mebbe that's why they use it so much on ships. but stainless is probably fine, slather everything with anti-sieze before assembly.

i'm convinced having a sealed cap nut is the way to prevent stud deterioration and subsequent grinding and gnashing of teeth. i SO want to pull one of these brass cap nuts off to experience the joy, but ain't gonna. until i have to.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the joker wrote:

don't have a link for you but search for M8x1.25 "High crown" cap nuts. the important part being 'high crown' which gives extra depth for the stud. brass or stainless, both are available. i'm surprized how well brass works in corrosive conditions, mebbe that's why they use it so much on ships. but stainless is probably fine, slather everything with anti-sieze before assembly.

i'm convinced having a sealed cap nut is the way to prevent stud deterioration and subsequent grinding and gnashing of teeth. i SO want to pull one of these brass cap nuts off to experience the joy, but ain't gonna. until i have to.

FYI ...... Stainless and Ferrous don't play well together.
Especially in high heat situations.

So many people think stainless is God's answer to a seized nuts....... it isn't and stainless can create more problems than it solves....... but it sure feels good to use them!
Stainless is weak and galls easily.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

in the broadcast world where time is money and crap happens 1500 feet up in the air, hot dipped galvanized hardware is the standard, stainless is not. out in the elements 24/7 plus high voltage lightning strikes and 100kW of RF flowing thru everything, it's a nasty environment.

earlier, i've used stainless nuts on exhaust studs. the stainless nuts held up but the stud corroded to heck, not much gain other than more purchase to snap the stud off with. again, i believe the key is to cover the stud from the nasty outside world. and who does't want brass nuts??!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

How is it, that DanHoug pioneers this in y2019?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

He comes from that part of the Country where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

Here is where I purchased mine .....

https://www.belmetric.com/m8x125-coarse-c-3_50_224...lrl9k6s6p0

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

Sign me up. I'm in the Seattle area and everywhere you look as far as you can see, it's nuts.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Sodo wrote:

He comes from that part of the Country where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.
Dave
Nice one, Dave! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

okay, had to take a nut off... for Science! after initial breakaway torque with 13mm box end wrench, spun off with fingers. it was incredible. re-applied anti-sieze and put it back on.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

Brave man unscrewing exhaust nuts!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Brave man unscrewing exhaust nuts!

Dave

confidence exemplified

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
FYI ...... Stainless and Ferrous don't play well together.
Especially in high heat situations.

So many people think stainless is God's answer to a seized nuts....... it isn't and stainless can create more problems than it solves....... but it sure feels good to use them!
Stainless is weak and galls easily.

Dave

I suppose I'm lucky or probably has to do with the mild southern California weather, but my experience with stainless has always been good. Started using in about 2003 for exhaust hardware (nuts, bolts, washers) and have never had an issue unfastening them. My engine got all studs removed and bolts used for exhaust in 2012 and took them off in 2020 easily. Also, there are many types of stainless, so I may have the lucky variety, but I don't know what it is.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

this is what happens when you DON'T live in a mild climate. a stainless nut would be more intact but the stud itself dissolves.

as i look at my previous cap nut off photos i see a few things:

- the brass cap nut to Belleville washer interface appears full contact and a suitable oxygen barrier, hence no oxidation corrosion.

- i'll assume the Belleville washer to exhaust flange interface to be also nearly air tight. while a small contribution, a fully circular Belleville washer, unlike a split washer, leaves no pathway for moisture nor oxygen.

- looks like a deposit from one of Satan's Little Helpers ontop of the head. grrrrrrrrr.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

The exhaust nut order arrived- they are only copper plated steel, the usual. FYI Dan, and anyone else wondering about those from FCP.
They did not resemble the pictured nuts in the AD, but ended up being the usual bright copper exh. nuts like everyone else’s…. Razz
But now I’m fully stocked on 8mm exh nuts… Smile So there’s that…
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: brass exhaust nuts Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
The exhaust nut order arrived- they are only copper plated steel, the usual. FYI Dan, and anyone else wondering about those from FCP

so.... after you ordered i found "18301737774 CRP COPPER NUT,10MM" 100 count for $4.83 with free delivery on Amazon. WTF??! so i HAD to order them. exact same CRP part number. enroute but not delivered. i won't return these regardless of authenticity or solid copper as i can always use 10mm nuts. but i would be tempted to return your order if indeed mine comes as the advertised product, of which i'm always dubious with Amazon.

dang it. sorry to have tempted you into this but we always gotta be on the look out. thanks for taking one for the team.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: