Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Have a type IV block that needs to be cold tanked and line bored. I did a search but only found this thread from 8 years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482599&highlight=michigan+machine+shop
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

unless the case is really bad it should not be bored. There are only a couple places in the whole USA that still do it on T4 engines, and usually they don't need it.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
unless the case is really bad it should not be bored. There are only a couple places in the whole USA that still do it on T4 engines, and usually they don't need it.

Okay, thanks for the input. Still need to have it cold tanked, and most likely need the crank polished and/or ground and new main bearings.

Any machine shop suggestions would be welcomed.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

The last time I had a type 4 built I sent it to Adrian at Headflow Masters in Vista CA. I hear there’s a guy in NY called Suburban.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Okay, thanks for the input. Still need to have it cold tanked, and most likely need the crank polished and/or ground and new main bearings.

Any reputable machine shop there can put it in an aluminum washer. It may take some scrubbing too so be sure to ask the hourly rate on that. You'll probably want to consider pulling the main oil line gallery plugs and then tapping them for screw in plugs. Be sure to study up on it before diving in.

Also, any good machine shop can measure the crankshaft and send it out to polish. These crankshafts don't wear much unless they are damaged. The cases are good unless a bearing spun and the crank blued from that heat. The heads you buy new from Len Hoffman at Hoffman Automotive Machine. And the cam comes from WebCam Camshafts in Riverside CA. If the cam gear is badly worn or has a "B" after the part number then it will want to be replaced. A "C" after the gear number means it is aluminum. A "B" is magnesium and they get brittle with age. Be sure to keep it around until you find a replacement near the number it is now. There will be a small - or + number on it which is the intermesh.

If you have done this before great, if not find a mentor who has.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Any reputable machine shop there can put it in an aluminum washer. It may take some scrubbing too so be sure to ask the hourly rate on that. You'll probably want to consider pulling the main oil line gallery plugs and then tapping them for screw in plugs. Be sure to study up on it before diving in.

Also, any good machine shop can measure the crankshaft and send it out to polish. These crankshafts don't wear much unless they are damaged. The cases are good unless a bearing spun and the crank blued from that heat. The heads you buy new from Len Hoffman at Hoffman Automotive Machine. And the cam comes from WebCam Camshafts in Riverside CA. If the cam gear is badly worn or has a "B" after the part number then it will want to be replaced. A "C" after the gear number means it is aluminum. A "B" is magnesium and they get brittle with age. Be sure to keep it around until you find a replacement near the number it is now. There will be a small - or + number on it which is the intermesh.

Thank you. These bits of knowledge is appreciated. Engine ran great, but when I pulled it hoping to do just heads (yes, purchased from Len) and P's and C's it was determined (by Colin) that my camshaft is toast. If I have to crack the case, might as well do a full rebuild. I have bookmarked WebCam, so will purchase both cam and lifters from them. As for mentors...I have Wilson's book and forums like this.

Cheers,
Mike
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you. These bits of knowledge is appreciated. Engine ran great, but when I pulled it hoping to do just heads (yes, purchased from Len) and P's and C's it was determined (by Colin) that my camshaft is toast. If I have to crack the case, might as well do a full rebuild. I have bookmarked WebCam, so will purchase both cam and lifters from them. As for mentors...I have Wilson's book and forums like this.

Cheers,
Mike

Colin wrote me yesterday that he is back on the road again so you might even consider trying to time the install when he is in Detroit. There is a place called RecycledJack in Auburn Hills MI. You might ask them who they use for washing blocks and machine work. You should have the rods, both big and small end, checked 360 degrees for roundness to be sure they are still in spec. Make sure a good shop does it because a shop that doesn't know what to really do can make matters worse.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Recycled Jacks brought me back to the early marriage-dirt poor 1970-80s when he helped me keep my Bus and Rabbit(s) on the road for cheap.

Hope he still doing well, sure to be retired by now
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Ummmm you may want to check his feedback before you even attemp to deal with that guy.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Still around and a Samba advertiser too at times.

I used to get their paper catalogs.

http://recycledjack.com/

Abscate wrote:
Recycled Jacks brought me back to the early marriage-dirt poor 1970-80s when he helped me keep my Bus and Rabbit(s) on the road for cheap.

Hope he still doing well, sure to be retired by now

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Quote:
I hear there’s a guy in NY called Suburban.

Gary Leblanc ran Suburban Engine Exchange out of Waltham, Massachusetts. He was Boston Bob's subordinate for years. He did my Type IV 3 years ago, I love it. But, his advertisement here is gone and his website has been down for a couple of years. I think he's done.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Ummmm you may want to check his feedback before you even attemp to deal with that guy.

I found nothing on the guy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Search realrecycledjack on here.
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Try looking up Norris Racing out of Milford.

Metro Detroit, Michigan
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Search realrecycledjack on here.

ah I didn't know it was the "real' jack
is that like the "real" ghostbusters?
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

I'm truly going off of memory here...but if it serves me well, believe recycled Jack was one of the original owners of Recycled Bugs....then they got sued by VOWA and renamed themselves The Parts Place.

Regardless, appreciate all of the responses, gives me something to go on.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

how about MOFOCO?
I see they're in Wisconsin, but they do T-IV motor.
https://www.mofoco.com/category/Type_4_Longblocks/c163
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Go here http://www.leakoil.net/forum/index.php

Read these and ask Bill and Chuck questions...

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4359

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4293

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2727

Recycled Jack is shady as all hell...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

I have not gone very deep yet, but these seem like some kick ass guys. (leakoil)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV machine shop in Southeast MI or Northern OH Reply with quote

Bill Webner is the best! He doesn’t build a lot of engine anymore as far as I know. Mainly interiors. But he knows a lot of people. Rich Sedoris in You gstown is an amazing engine builder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: