Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
it has been a while since I posted on my old topic https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693196&highlight=
" in need of molded sump" where all of you gave me such great motivation and support.
I decided to change topic to refer to the progress of the build and make it easier for others to find.
I will try to post some pics continiously about the progress from where it ended in the old post.
All my best
Justus[/url]
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

The brake system was adjusted to the higher engine power , front disk rated up to 140 hp and rear has wider drum and 44mm cylinder. All brake lines we renewed by ourselves. The shocks are Koni but I will need to replace the front shocks back to conventional Oil dampers for ride quality. Crying or Very sad
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Front wheel alignment- went ok Surprised Very Happy
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Body ready for marriage

first loose fit for motivation
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

How to facillitate assembly of clutch cable.... Very Happy
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Assembling rear lights, roll bar and bolting body to Chassis

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

jump back in time, Dashboard or like MeatLoaf said it: Paradise by the dashboardlight..

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

The gauges are 911 F Model exept for the Rev, that is 914 and we modified it by adjusting the appearance to 911 F and adding a fuel Gauge
All period correct and 1968 on the market available.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

for finding the right point to drill the front "fire wall to allow steering (important!! Smile ) we fixed a laser Pointer on the steering gear

Then magnet mounted the "target"height taken from a previous dash frame test assembly.,

then put the body back on and drilled

Result was good...
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Battery holder and bracket, original VW part modified

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Wiring started

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

First time restored wheels with correct tyres on. The colour is the same like the knobs and steering wheel
Also we installed the cage which in Germany unfortunately is mandatory- same sad thing with the exhaust

It is a 5.5x15 with 205 in the front and 8x15 with 245 in the back
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Very Nice Work!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Beautiful work Justus!! Nice signed dash as well. Winnie does not often sign them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

I am loving the look! The wheels, lights, everything!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Thank you guys!
Now the biggest challenge will be to get it legal. Starts with finding the right guy from our authorities that has enough balls to sign for all the things that a normal vehicle in Germany is not allowed to have. Our laws are crazy, everything needs to have a certificate of conformacy down to the side mirrors or else at least must meet a defined criteria. The biggest issue might be the engine in combination with the shortened pan. I expect a 3-5 month odysee.
There are only a handfull original manxes on the road in Germany and I try to find them to learn from them how and with whom they did the inspection so if anybody is in contact with a German Manx driver I would be more than happy to get in contact.
@ Joe- you have been a friend of Glenn- the previous owner right? We haven't forgotten and I will post his wife soon as she asked me to "take good care of his baby". I hope we did.
@ Vince the Gelcoat / body finish really is the thing that draws the most attention over here. Thanks again for all the tips and help. It came out very nicely and was indeed a bloody job that turned us and the workshop into "smurf Village" for a couple of weeks. Still I would do it again Very Happy
All my best and I will update with more pictures as we go along.
Justus
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Great Job! I’m really digging the dash the most. 👍🏼
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

Justus, More beautiful work. I love the cannons. Perhaps you could revise the cage with quick-release pins. I am sure not every Polizei knows all the regulations.

Jim
Manx #2614
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: follow up on my manx restauration with new sump molded Reply with quote

THank you!!
Yes I also love the dash. I am so glad I occured to me to ask Winnie if she would sign too. I think she is big part of the whole Buggy Sotry.
Originally I wanted to fit period correct accesory gauges but you barely find themfor complete engine monitoring. So I went on to try and find some 365 gauges and found out they are traded like gold. Finally I decided 1968 911 gauges will do the best job for the money and after all I really think it turned out super clean and gives it a little "techy" look.

Good idea with the engine bar. Maybe not on the street but for photo and meetings on private grounds.

I'll update end of next week. Next wek we "attack the hood". This week is all wiring still.
All my best and thanks for the positive comments- mechanics' manna
Justus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: