Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Typically I stick to/am in the Split-Bus forum [going on and on about nothing in particular (except VW meets, and trips and such)], but we took Kathy's Ghia to a nice local meet-up yesterday.

Organized on Facebook as a "locals only" (Bay Area of California) group, this was the second meet-up and there were a lot of fantastic folks who made it out.

It was held at Faction Brewing on Alameda Island, CA.

A friend of ours who lives on the island dropped over with his drone and made this high-up-top video of the Ghias:

Link

If you have a Ghia and live close enough to the Bay Area to attend meet-ups for fun, you can send me a private message and I'll help you find the Group on Facebook, run by a nice and enthusiastic Ghia owner named George.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Beautiful !
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

I wanted to go the the Nor-Cal show yesterday but something came up. They really had a nice turn out and the parking lot by the ship docks looked comfortable, dont have a Ghia ...yet.. but just wanted to check out the Nor-Cal members. Beautiful cars. I had forgotten you and the wife had a Ghia I thought it was just your camper. Very Happy
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Some great pictures and such a wide assortment of colors. The straight line overhead shot would look great framed.
Curious about why you have 2 sets of front seats at the beginning of your thread? And was this the same upholstery pattern (basket weave) that was in the car when you got it?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I wanted to go the the Nor-Cal show yesterday but something came up...

Bill, sorry you couldn't make it, would have loved to catch up! Come see us in Richmond sometime.

Marcdeb wrote:
...Curious about why you have 2 sets of front seats at the beginning of your thread? And was this the same upholstery pattern (basket weave) that was in the car when you got it?

Marcdeb Let's see... I had a temporary set of seats as the supposedly original seats were being re-upholsted. They were a weird mess; practically no padding, and unevenly padded, etc.

The new upholstery doesn't seem to have the basket-weave pattern per se. Not too sure (without researching), how what exactly a '71 should have.
I could look up later where I hot the seat covers upholstery from (kit from somewhere) if you needor want to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

I think the ones you have look like the 1970 upholstery pattern. They patterns in the vinyl changed almost every year. Here's the one year only pattern for 71.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

If you have a Ghia and live close enough to the Bay Area to attend meet-ups for fun, you can send me a private message and I'll help you find the Group on Facebook, run by a nice and enthusiastic Ghia owner named George.

My '58 used to live Berkeley for 49 years and Betty the original owner for that time still lives there. She's 94 now and doesn't get around too well but was driving it into her 80s, maybe she would have been there too if she still owned it. Wink That background in picture of your wife's Ghia could be where my Ghia was shipped from in 2007.
Betty is the lady painting a picture of The Palace of Fine Arts...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

New (to us) bumpers. ...and gathering opinions on engine

Months ago I picked up some bumpers that someone had chromed, and since the VW enthusiast selling them didn't need them, I got a pretty good deal.
That's what's great about VW folks selling to other VW folks; we all want one another to succeed.

Been dragging my heels (mainly driving/working on our 1967 Westfalia Spilt Bus), but I finally got around to putting them on to Kathy's Ghia.

OH; before I forget. There's another Ghia meet this weekend.
Although heavy rain is predicted for Sunday (Dec. 12th, 2021) here in the Bay Area of California, there is a Ghia meet at the Blackhawk Auto Museum in Danville.
I'll paste those details below as a "quote" from the event's page.

The bumpers that the Ghia came with from the previous owner(s) had typical regular wear, but the back bumper have several holes.
The "no ivy" sticker on there was covering the largest, so it was nice to get this better set onto the our Ghia.

Before:

In Progress:

...besides the 1001 other things I'd like to do to improve/restore on our Ghia, one thing I've been musing about is a different engine.

The wacky cobbled together 1903(?!?) engine of a previous owner, with dual Kadrons and J-tubes is peppy and all, but I've been thinking that something like a 1776, single carburetor and heater boxes (for heat!) would be peppy enough and easier for an old school mostly-stock kind of guy like myself to maintain.

I DON'T have money burning a hole in my pocket, but a reputable place that sells reliable well-built turn-keys (with all the accouterments: tin, clutch, heater boxes, exhaust, etc.), would be nice/ideal.

Open to suggestions (of tried and true rebuilders/places that sell them), opinions and such.
Let's open the Pandora's boxes of your minds.

Here's the info for Sunday's Ghia meet:

Quote:
December 12, 2021 - Karmann Ghia Day at the Museum
Danville, California

The NorCal Karmann Ghia Enthusiasts club will take center stage at the rotunda circle of the Blackhawk Auto Museum in Danville, California on December 12, 2021.

Our club is showing 20 selected cars from our member's collection at the museum’s main entrance. And the remaining Karmann Ghias are to park at the ground level parking spaces closest to the museum. This event is open to all Air-cooled vehicle owners to attend. The Blackhawk Auto Museum has an amazing car collection in case you haven't seen it. One of our club's goals is to support local businesses or museums due to the pandemic in order to help draw visitors back again. Masks are still required inside the museum.

Weather permitting, note that this might affect our show date, so please keep checking this posting if we need to reschedule this event.

Hope to see you all Volkswagen enthusiasts at the Blackhawk!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

New bumpers look great!
Nothing wrong with a nice 1776, i had a 1750 with kadrons(virtually the same as 1776 just with the old 90mm pistons) as a daily driver for years. I never had to touch them after initial set up. Great power and MPG.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Typically I am posting on the split bus forum since Kathy and I are often traveling around/going to meets and camping with our 1967 Westfalia, "The Toaster".
However, we've been meeting up with lots of northern California Ghia owners monthly with the "NorCal Karman Ghia Enthusiasts" group.

Here's a photo of the George's Ghia (the group's main organizer) with our Westfalia.

If You look through my photos, you'll see plenty of Ghia photos from the various meets we go to.

Back to Kathy's "Shamrock Shake" though...

We bought this "STOP" light at February's OCTO meet in Long Beach, CA (2022).
I had it newly re-chromed, bought a bumper fog light clamp/holder and got it onto Kathy's 1971 Karman Ghia, "Shamrock Shake".

Kathy has not been one for many accouterments on Shamrock Shake, but she really liked the idea of this not stock item for distinction.
I'm really pleased with how it turned out and looks.

Hope everyone is out enjoying their Ghias!
rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Hi Bryce, I caught you and Shamrock Shake in a Treffen video by Mike. YouTube one year ago. Do you know anything about Treffen 2024? Would love to catch on somewhere along the way! Thanks!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

rollinwithwillie wrote:
Hi Bryce, I caught you and Shamrock Shake in a Treffen video by Mike. YouTube one year ago. Do you know anything about Treffen 2024? Would love to catch on somewhere along the way! Thanks!

rollinwithwillie, ...I don't personally have any info yet but I sent a message to Jim K. (Ghia owner friend who typically does the whole thing) to see if he has dates, and/or a link. I believe it is typically in July(?).
When/if/as he gets back to me, I'll post anything I learn.

In other (Ghia-related) news, I just ordered a repro steering wheel this morning for Shamrock Shake this morning.

Hope you're doing great and that we get to see you prior to the Treffen, if not on the Treffen it's self.

rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in on any Treffen info and posting info. Thought it would be fun to meet up for a portion but need advance notice/info to request off from work. I’d love to meet up with you all again or if interested in a west Marin / Sonoma cruise lemme know. Look fwd to a future cruise!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Jim sent me a message back:

"Highway 1 Treffen Cruise starts in mid July...roughly starting around July 19, 2024 to July 28...that's what it looks like.
Airhead Parts FB page will post updates typically around April"

...and yes! would love to join a cruise in the Marin/Sonoma area.

If you've got a route in mind; let's figure out a month/date for a cruise that we can invite folks to. I'd even help organize.
rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Great thx for the info! Will keep an eye out and check their fb pg.

Ill put together a couple routes and get your feedback.
rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Somewhere I read (…and I read in too many places) that there is a cruise planned for Saturday 11/18 but I can’t figure out where I read this or where it’s to be, if I’m remembering correctly, lol. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Probably raining Saturday. Thx
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

rollinwithwillie wrote:
Somewhere I read (…and I read in too many places) that there is a cruise planned for Saturday 11/18 but I can’t figure out where I read this or where it’s to be, if I’m remembering correctly, lol. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Probably raining Saturday. Thx

On Saturday the Nor-Cal Karmann Ghia Enthusiasts Group is meeting up for an informal (don't need to bring your Ghia/air-cooled VW if you don't wanna) pre-thanksgiving meal on Alameda Island.
We're giving 'thanks' to one another for a couple years of great nearly monthly get-togethers and hang outs.
Not a cruise though...

Likely there's other cruises on Saturday? Sometimes I can't keep track.

...here's the Ghia group info for Saturday below.
It's a great group and is welcoming of other air-cooled VW people, although the focus is Ghias.

Saturday, Nov. 18th, 2pm to 5pm.
Pre-Thanksgiving dinner at Saltbreaker (restaurant in Alameda, CA)
Meet at:
The General Storehouse (2pm),
2350 Saratoga Street, Alameda, CA 94501

Details from our leader George from Facebook:

"Let’s get together for a pre-Thanksgiving celebration with your Karmann Ghia family at Saltbreaker in Alameda. I visited the space and they have an enclosed semi-private room for a group. The restaurant opens at 3:30pm, however knowing our group we spend more time chatting and catching up before we actually sit down and eat, so we will park at the restaurant and walk to Firebrand or The Rake for some appetizers first.

For this meet up, it’s completely optional to drive our Ghias since it will be dark by the time we leave the restaurant. This time, it’s all about the people who loves driving Karmann Ghias. Not just about the cars, but also the friendships we made for the last 2 years."

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Put in the new repro. steering wheel!

Before:

After:

There seem to be innumerous times that I have had to do something with the steering wheel/steering column over the amount of time that we have owned "Shamrock Shake"
1971, I believe, has some one-year-only oddities, as well as what I would consider to be design flaws, but somehow I always make it work.

The repro. steeting wheel, with horn ring, I bought from JBugs.com and it's quite nice.
It's designed for Bugs and Ghias, and they designed it so that you CAN use it with a 1971 as long as you buy the correct Horn Contact Ring to go with it.
Many pre-1971 steering wheels don't have the hole needed through the center ring for the wire, but this repro. wheel DOES have that (if you need it like ours does).

Although the steering wheel came complete with a nice black horn button with a a silver Wolfsburg logo, I also bought the following from eisparts.com just for a little distinction.

HORN BUTTON, BEETLE, RED/BLUE/WHITE,’61-’71
SKU: 113951532RBW

Here's the part numbers for the Jbug.com parts:

Stock VW Steering Wheel - Ivory - 1962-1971 Beetle - Karmann Ghia - Type 3
113-WHEEL-IVORY

VW Horn Contact Ring / Cancelling Ring - 1971 and later Type 1
113415660A

My only complaint, however is that the Horn Contact Ring (for a 1971) wasn't made very well and did not fit well into the underside of the steering wheel, and the turn-signal cancellation part that sticks out actually prevented the wheel from seating entirely onto the spindle; it hit against the turn level assemblage.

Had to shave plastic with an Exacto knife and a file to get it to fit properly.

Now the horn WORKS every time! Our old wheel's silver horn armatures were slightly bent, and any time I took the wheel off I'd spend forever trying to adjust the three spring-loaded screws so that it would work somewhat normal.

Kathy's pretty pleased with the end result, and I am too.
Are there other things on "Shamrock Shake" that need attention, improvement, repair, etc? OF COURSE, but sometimes just a fun single cosmetic change like this gives a real sense of satisfaction.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

I think I can speak for the forum when I say we would rather see Kathy behind the wheel of her Ghia!

Is that Hippy Green?

Edit: I had a friend back in the day who restored a Ghia, and I remember the color was called Hippy Green; however, after looking at the color charts here on The Samba, it looks like the closest color is called Willow Green. I think I like Hippy Green better!

Heinz Nordhoff
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shamrock Shake" Kathy's 1971 Karmann Ghia Coupé Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I think I can speak for the forum when I say we would rather see Kathy behind the wheel of her Ghia!

Is that Hippy Green?

Edit: I had a friend back in the day who restored a Ghia, and I remember the color was called Hippy Green; however, after looking at the color charts here on The Samba, it looks like the closest color is called Willow Green. I think I like Hippy Green better!

Easy enough:

Love the Hippie Green nomenclature, but yeah, it's meant to be VW's Willow Green.
Driving a Split Bus, I'd say 1/2 of folks say something about how it must be a "Hippie Bus", but somehow I don't think I fit the bill.
...unless the modern Hippie showers most days, rattles on about old Volkswagens, and loves cheese... wait, maybe they have a point afterall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: