Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tow/Recovery points in the rear
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for installing a tow/recovery point loop or hook in the rear of the van? I don't have my van with me right now but it seems like it might not be possible to add something unless it is integrated into the bumper. I have the GoWesty steel bumpers, so I don't have the stock loops on the bumper mounts, which is why I am asking.

The GoWesty bumpers have two loops on the bottom, as well as a square hole for a hitch accessory (which I guess would solve this problem, for extra $$$), but I doubt they would hold up very well in a recovery situation. I also don't think the metal is thick enough to add some sort of loop/shackle.

I spent the last 1.5 years or so in South America just hoping I wouldn't need to be pulled from the back and so far I've been lucky. The combination of the TBD, good tires, maxtrax knock-offs, a shovel, an air compressor, and careful driving have made it pretty easy to not get badly stuck. But I'd still like to be more confident of a recovery point in the event that it is needed in the future.

Any suggestions?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

I thought about this. There is factory tow hooks - but mine are covered by my gowesty hitch. I thought about buying this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

I have the burley bumper so lost the stock tow recovery points. Stock points were great, used them many times with snatch straps in sand, snow, mud. One of them did eventually break though. Now I have a receiver hitch one like in the photos above. It lives with my recovery gear and can be pulled out when needed . Only tested it once to pull a sled trailer out of a snowbank and it worked great. Bonus is I can throw the receiver hitch piece in the subaru when on winter road trips and have a rated recovery point for the suby.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I thought about this. There is factory tow hooks - but mine are covered by my gowesty hitch.

I carry one of those removable recovery points now that I have a Burly hitch.

The Burly hitch is super stout, basically a 2"x2" hunk of metal that runs a couple feet wide inside of the stock bumper and bolts to the frame of the van. So I'm pretty sure it's a solid point to tow from.

I would be much less comfortable using the GoWesty hitch as a recovery point out of fear of bending the engine carrier bar that it mounts to. That said, when I had that hitch, it was used to pull my van onto a flat bed without incident - although that's a more gentle procedure than getting unstuck.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

So I needed a tow up a hill once when my engine died (turned out that slush got into the fuel pump electrode boot and shorted the pump), and a rancher in a truck helped me out. He pulled his tow ball off (those things are deadly if used for towing) but then just used the hitch pin directly through my tow strap loop. Seemed like a great idea to me and that's been my theoretical strategy ever since. Is there any reason to use that hitch D-shackle thing instead of just the pin?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

all of the load goes across/thru the pin anyways..
the D-ring is just a little better for off angles

but yeah loop the tow strap and hook the pin in the 2in square alone.
if you fold the strap like a flat ribbon, and slide the pin in the loop, then hook the hook to the outside of the hitch.. you won't have an airborne metal hook

FWIW tow balls are rated ~5k or ~10k lbs.. and you can easily max that by twanging on a loaded westy that's buried in the mud with a big winch or lifted diesel brodozer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

Yep and from what I understand the metallurgy of the ball is not intended for shock loads. Brittle shear of the shaft during a yank has resulted in fatalities.

It took me a second to get what you were saying about the hook, and yeah that makes sense for safety if you have a hook strap. Personally, I only use straps with sewn loops at both ends.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow/Recovery points in the rear Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Is there any reason to use that hitch D-shackle thing instead of just the pin?

I've been on the receiving end of a tow like that before too. Interestingly, it was also a rancher that rescued me after I got a little brave with my work truck.

Some straps can be really tough to squeeze into the receiver.

I've also heard that that method can cause the load on the pin to be focused in the middle (strap) and sides (receiver) making it more likely to snap the pin whereas the solid steel of the removable shackle spreads that load across a wider section of the pin. I'm not sure how big a difference that makes though.

Having been stuck a lot, I've come to regard it as such a hassle that I'm now quick to back up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: