Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

Hi there,

Last year I purchased my 1st 914.
On the preliminary inspection, I found rust on passenger side floor pan, hell hole. Original I estimate it should be a quick patch job, maybe couple of weekend. However, as I start to clean up the cover up , I found rust all over.
So finally I decided to remove all the floor including the front pan( aftermarket A/C). A short project now become a major project. I am not sure if I would able to finish it at all. I think would just take the time and enjoy the moment working on the car.
So far, I had patched the hell hole, remove all the floor pan.
Now my questions.
Since the center tunnel had exposed. I think it will best to replace all the cable and fuel line.
1. There is a plastic tube next to fuel line. No one seem have this replacement part. Can anyone tell me what is this, Can it be substitute ?

2. The PO convert this car to carb, technically I only need a low pressure fuel hose, but I think I will replace both line with high pressure hose. Just in case I convert it back to EFI. Any recommendation for the fuel hose ? Where to buy them.
3. The third question actually related to the 2nd. I am not sure what direction to take. Keep the Carb or go back to EFI. The problem with EFI is I might not able to get all parts now. I am thinking CB Performance fuel injection kit. I would very much appreciate for any comment on Cart Engine vs EFI. Maybe anyone have experience with the CB KIt.

Thank you.
Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

Hi there and congratulations on your Teener. If you haven't already check out 914world.com as they get a lot more traffic than this section of the samba.

For the fuel lines tangerine racing makes a replacement stainless steel kit that gets rid of the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel. Very good quality, I've got a set in my 2.0l D-jet 914. Should be super easy to install since you've got the tunnel cut open and can see what you're doing instead of trying to blindly guide them through there. http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

If you still have an original sized 4-cyl motor (1.7, 1.8 or 2.0) then stock FI is the way to go, but you will need to specify your year and size as there were some L-jet and some D-jet models. Put a wanted ad up in the classifieds over on 914 world and they should be able to help you out. If you want to build the motor bigger, using an aftermarket FI system may be the way to go as it's tunable. Or some decent dual carbs would work. (assuming you have a single center mount carb currently?)

For FI my go to guy is Mario @ thedubshop.com and I know he's done 914's before and should be able to get you a complete drop in kit. He does very nice work and is very helpful before and after your purchase. Link to his T4 fuel and spark kit http://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-fuel-injection-package-with-ignition-type-4/

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Hi there and congratulations on your Teener. If you haven't already check out 914world.com as they get a lot more traffic than this section of the samba.

For the fuel lines tangerine racing makes a replacement stainless steel kit that gets rid of the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel. Very good quality, I've got a set in my 2.0l D-jet 914. Should be super easy to install since you've got the tunnel cut open and can see what you're doing instead of trying to blindly guide them through there. http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

If you still have an original sized 4-cyl motor (1.7, 1.8 or 2.0) then stock FI is the way to go, but you will need to specify your year and size as there were some L-jet and some D-jet models. Put a wanted ad up in the classifieds over on 914 world and they should be able to help you out. If you want to build the motor bigger, using an aftermarket FI system may be the way to go as it's tunable. Or some decent dual carbs would work. (assuming you have a single center mount carb currently?)

For FI my go to guy is Mario @ thedubshop.com and I know he's done 914's before and should be able to get you a complete drop in kit. He does very nice work and is very helpful before and after your purchase. Link to his T4 fuel and spark kit http://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-fuel-injection-package-with-ignition-type-4/

Also look for fuel injection parts in the VW 41q and 412 forums of the ahoptalkforums and here.

For the 1.7L and 1.8l......the engine and injection systems of the 411 and 412...were 100% identical down to the last part number...inside and out......for both 1.7 and 1.8 engines.... except for the sxhaust manifold/heater boxes.....and the fuel inje tion harness which is longer on the 914. Compression, pistons, cam, ignition, valves...everything....same spec and same parts.

Do not pay ridiculous Porsche prices for VW parts. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

Thank you.

It seem FI is the way to go.

I think I have a 2.0 .

Anyway, could someone tell me what the yellowish plastic tube? Both side get broken. I just can't find the part for it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

if you have a very nice car and want to return it to stock condition factory fuel injection is the way to go, we sell kits for this conversion back every week, However if you just want a good driver, dual 40 carbs or cb performance fuel injection works just fine, since you already have carbs on your car.

the small plastic line is the expansion tank vent which originally on your car (must be a 74.5-76) connected to the charcoal canister now in the later cars, mounted in the engine compartment

The welding is not so bad, years ago we saw that there was going to be a need for all of the restoration parts so make them all where the cars would rust. Since the car is so simple, piecing it is like an amateur jigsaw puzzle, and if you can weld, easy to repair. By the way we have instant tech advice here at 914 world headquarters anytime you want 800 792 4944
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions Speedometer ? Reply with quote

May I know what is part for ?

I know it connected to the speedometer but I can't find any information on this.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

I may be totally wrong...but that looks like a catalytic converter light reset box.

Is this a California model? If so you may have other surprises in the engine. If its a 1.7L...DO NOT...DO NOT...build it back to CA spec unless you live there.

The 1.7L in California smog trim...was detuned and missing about 10-12 hp. It ran hot and was much harder to tune with D-jet injection than the other 49 states versions.

D-jet likes compression. The poor compression of the CA version made it hard to tune . Ray
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I may be totally wrong...but that looks like a catalytic converter light reset box.

Is this a California model? If so you may have other surprises in the engine. If its a 1.7L...DO NOT...DO NOT...build it back to CA spec unless you live there.

The 1.7L in California smog trim...was detuned and missing about 10-12 hp. It ran hot and was much harder to tune with D-jet injection than the other 49 states versions.

D-jet likes compression. The poor compression of the CA version made it hard to tune . Ray

Hi Ray,
I got this car in CA, but I am not sure if it is Ca origin. Is there a way to find out?
Pink slip show it is a 75, CA DMV did not ask for SMOG. It believe the engine is 2.0 , is there a way to find out ?
Another funny thing I just find out yesterday when I remove the gas tank and fuel line. There is no fuel pump. The fuel line goes direct from the tank to the engine. Engine runs before I drop it. How can that possible?
Tks.
Bill
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

Have you checked the engine number - if engine hasn't been greatly modified, the number will tell you if it started life as a 1,7, 1.8 or 2.0L. It is stamped in the top of the block (cylinder 3) near flywheel end.

http://www.porsche914.org/engnum.html
http://www.bigporsche.com/history914w.htm

Also, another visual indicator is that the 2L heads use 3 studs to connect the intakes while the 1.7/1.8 use 4 studs plus the spark plugs and access thru engine tin is different (at least with OEM heads).
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

Just check.
Confirm it is a Feb 75 with 2.0 Engine. No Smog require.
But, still don't know what that part for.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

To me, it looks like add on aftermarket cruise control - since it looks like speedo in and out cables. I've never seen cruise on a 914 though - nor that box.

You mentioned after-market AC was in the car. No 914 came from factory with AC, they were all port or dealer installed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions Speedometer ? Reply with quote

young55961 wrote:

I know it connected to the speedometer but I can't find any information on this.

that is the EGR box, turns the dash light on after a certain number of miles to have you check the egr system. On all California 75 76 models
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

look in the left door jamb and beside the dot sticker it will have a sticker catalyst

young55961 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Hi Ray,
I got this car in CA, but I am not sure if it is Ca origin. Is there a way to find out?
Pink slip show it is a 75, CA DMV did not ask for SMOG. It believe the engine is 2.0 , is there a way to find out ?
Another funny thing I just find out yesterday when I remove the gas tank and fuel line. There is no fuel pump. The fuel line goes direct from the tank to the engine. Engine runs before I drop it. How can that possible?
Tks.
Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions Speedometer ? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
young55961 wrote:

that is the EGR box, turns the dash light on after a certain number of miles to have you check the egr system. On all California 75 76 models

Thank you for the correction.....that is what I meant to say......not catalytic....but EGR.

For the curious.....the speedo cable turned the clockwork inside...X number of miles and the light on the dash goes on.

You were "supposed" to then go to the dealer to have the EGR valve inspected, cleaned or replaced.

These were the same part on virtually all cars. My 1982 Saab 900 had one.

In the last few years of its use....from my memory......it was used not just to signal for EGR inspection....but to signal for inspection of the evaporative control system, 02 sensor, amog pump etc. At least that is what some auto manutacturers did when your light went on and you brought it in.

In the early days of this....through say the mid 80s.....unknowing people would go in and pay for their mechanics to use their magic wand to turn out that damn annoying light!

Non mechanical people did not know about this box.....so did not know that it was a simple reset button......which can be seen right below the wiring loom in the picture.

In some cars it was hard to find and hard to get to. In my Saab.....it was just under the lower lip of the dash near the steering column if memory serves. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 75 914 My 1st restoration project-Questions and Directions Reply with quote

dealer was supposed to inspect the system for leaks and functionality, change the air pump filter, and then reset the light by pushing the button on the box
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: