Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist Is So Much FUN!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Never sold a vehicle on CL, or FB. Would it be more productive to only have an ad here, or even an eBay auction with reserve?

You pay $5-$15 to get into a decent swap meet anymore. What about a $20 viewing fee, refundable with purchase of the vehicle? I’d GLADLY pay $20 to check out a vehicle I was actually interested in buying.

Contact the guy in Canadia with the bus hoard for sale with the $500 viewing fee. See how that us going for him and get back to us....

Ahhh...., It’s going excellent for him....

He doesn’t have every Tom, Dick, and Harry pestering the shit out of him to gock. $500 is .14% of $350k. That’s a $1.96 to look at Clatter’s $1400 Camper.

That’s a shame, since that’s about a $6k Bus in the Northeast. I turned down $3500 for a 71 I have that needs major rust repair, total brake replacement, and has a seized stock 1600.

You also realize the thread about the 55 Bus sale in the Airspeedparts forum pretty much has designated the add a scam, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

That's a $1500 bus tops in the NE
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Never sold a vehicle on CL, or FB. Would it be more productive to only have an ad here, or even an eBay auction with reserve?

You pay $5-$15 to get into a decent swap meet anymore. What about a $20 viewing fee, refundable with purchase of the vehicle? I’d GLADLY pay $20 to check out a vehicle I was actually interested in buying.

In 99% of cases I would be offended on principle and wouldn't even contact a seller that did this.

The only way I would do this is if it was something so rare or so cheap that I was sure I would be buying it and verified it existed in person before handing over the money, also in person

Too many liars or idiots out there to hand over money and trust their description of the actual condition
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Craigslist has serious buyers with cash money, the PROBLEM is you have to deal with dozens of flake inquiries from the absolute bottom of society to get that one real buyer. It just depends how much time you want to waste and how much patience you have.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Yep,
I called it.
Funny how you just know, huh?

Out of a pond of little squiggly tadpoles comes a real live person with a brain!

He looked at it, smiled, and started counting money.
Didn't open the decklid or look underneath it or ask any questions.

All that was said was something like
"Yep, it's a real piece of shit"!

And why not?
You're either looking to buy a shitty bus, or you're not looking to buy a shitty bus, right?

All of these other dumbasses wanted to talk about buses or prattle on and on about how they were this super bus expert or take pictures or tell you their sorry life story.

This guy wanted to buy a bus and haul it home! Shocked
Imagine! Shocked

Oh, the temptation..
So tempting to lower the price even more,
And edit the name/address/phone to this guy who stiffed me on a project a couple of years ago.
Or maybe start texting "hurry up" to people who were lying that they were coming.
Saying "I really have to pee! My kids are hungry! Where ARE you!?!!?"

But.. Nah..
Really looking forward to putting this whole nightmare behind me.

I just spread my arms and did a little up-looking twirl in the middle of my new big CLEAN SPOT!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Good luck with that... The least expensive running/driving roadworthy Bay Camper within 500 miles of Pittsburgh PA. currently listed on the site is $8500.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2219059
I’ll take a solid minimal rust hippy hacked VW over a complete NE rusted out one any day.

EverettB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

In 99% of cases I would be offended on principle and wouldn't even contact a seller that did this.

The only way I would do this is if it was something so rare or so cheap that I was sure I would be buying it and verified it existed in person before handing over the money, also in person.

I guess it worked then if you were that serious about buying the item. That’s the point, correct? To find the buyers 100% serious about buying? I must come from the other side of the tracks. Any vehicle I’ve ever looked at, I’ve had the full asking price in my pocket with the tow bar/trailer along for the ride, and the only decision to be made was the final price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I must come from the other side of the trakcs. Any vehicle I’ve ever looked at, I’ve had the full asking price in my pocket with the tow bar/trailer along for the ride, and the only decision to be made was the final price.

We are both from the same side of the tracks.

Who would ever go about it any other way?

If you have humped your carcass all the way to go and look at something,
You are at the disadvantage at that point.

If you see something that's a total steal at asking price,
How stupid are you going to feel if you don't have enough money?

In a past life,
I've had what i thought a seller might take in one pocket, and the remainder in another.
Have left the remainder in the car, and made a show of rummaging to find 'almost' the asker's amount.
Make an offer, and start counting the cash in front of them...

Doing stuff like that makes me feel like lowly troll.
Now that i have a full time job,
I'm glad i don't have to resort to such humiliating things.

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

A couple of people I let know the bus was sold got all butt hurt on me!
LOL!

“I TOLD you I was coming to get it!”

Most sellers would have just ignored any texts at this point..
Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
A

"Instead of telling me you were coming to get it, you shoulda come and got it"

Laughing
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Don't sell!! I will pay an extra $2000 just refund $500 and keep the rest and I will pick it up. I'm serious.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

I have put down a non refundable deposit on a vehicle before I looked at it.

It was a 2005 Police edition Harley with low miles at a high volume dealer about 2.5 hours from me. However, he sent me a bunch of pics as well as a video of it running. We had agreed on the price (which was a really good deal...surprising at a dealer) so I gave him my cc # for a $200 non refundable deposit. Fairly low risk IMHO. I could still back out and forfeight the $200 if it was a real turd, but thought that was fairly remote.

Wife and i drove out Friday evening, and were there when the doors opened on Saturday. She took it for a quick test ride (it was for her) and proclaimed it good. We were out of there in under an hour.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Clatter wrote:
A

"Instead of telling me you were coming to get it, you shoulda come and got it"

Laughing

Smile

"A bunch of people said that, one of them actually showed up so it SOLD!"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Most sellers would have just ignored any texts at this point..
Rolling Eyes

I love ignoring texts just as a general principle.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Oh this will work out real well.......
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Good luck with that... The least expensive running/driving roadworthy Bay Camper within 500 miles of Pittsburgh PA. currently listed on the site is $8500.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2219059
I’ll take a solid minimal rust hippy hacked VW over a complete NE rusted out one any day.

EverettB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The only way I would do this is if it was something so rare or so cheap that I was sure I would be buying it and verified it existed in person before handing over the money, also in person.

I guess it worked then if you were that serious about buying the item. That’s the point, correct? To find the buyers 100% serious about buying? I must come from the other side of the tracks. Any vehicle I’ve ever looked at, I’ve had the full asking price in my pocket with the tow bar/trailer along for the ride, and the only decision to be made was the final price.

Using this site for pricing Guidance is a mistake

There are lots more for sale not on this site, and lots in the $1000-2000 range
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

I love it when some schmuck shows up with his “knowledgeable” buddy that proceeds to pick the vehicle apart & then they offer me 1/4 the asking price only to have another potential buyer show up, look the car over & start peeling off $100 bills without trying to negotiate, at which point, the original idiots start trying to outbid them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Reminds me of a time when I had a Thing for sale..

A guy brought along an expert to evaluate it.
He was full of expertise. Saying this and that and puffing his chest..

He walked around to the front and said “let’s take a look at the motor”.
I went ahead and popped the frunk.

The look was priceless.
He stood there just dumbfounded for like a half minute.

Mr Expert didn’t even know the thing was rear-engined.

What’s That Noise?!?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist Is So Much FUN!! Reply with quote

Clatter, you're so right, the sickness isn't just limited to Craigslist.

Pre-purchase inspections make up a good chunk of my business. Once every three or four clients I work with ask me to be discreet and "do not contact the seller, do not tell the seller you're a professional, do not let the seller know you're not the one buying the car."

So, I'm supposed to show up in a well-waxed VW, be a tire kicker with a big-ass camera and clipboard and tons of questions about shipping the car and walk away at the end? Go hit up someone else.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Robbie@eurocarsplus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: