Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

Anyone else going to attend the Phoenix Bug O Rama on March 17th....wonder if the green beer will sold?
Bit of a drive from the White Mountains to attend, looking for the swap meet stuff.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix Reply with quote

I’m going. Had a good time last year and taking my kids this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix Reply with quote

I made it out there around 7:30. I walked the swap and thought there was quite a bit of vendors with quite a bit of stuff, but I couldn't really sift through it as I had munchkins hanging on each arm. I only ended up with a bench seat blanket and VW toys.. I was stoked that kids under 13 were n/c admission. I only have 1 over 13 so more good guys left in my pocket to ultimately buy the kids more VW toys Very Happy
The Car show seemed to fill up kind of slowly, but by mid morning was pretty lined out. I think there were more cars last year and they didn't open up the grass area this year. Still lots to look at and walk through. More Baja's this year which is right up my alley Razz We split after the 2nd round of qualifiers for the drags. Again, it seemed like there were more racers last year, but I wasn't really counting them, you know. I missed the red Karmann Ghia that was popping wheelies though. That guy was a blast to watch last year. IIRC the dragster ran 8.25 ( not 100% sure, but close) and there were a handful of 10 & 11 second runs when I was there. I always appreciate the racers no matter what time they run. I know it has to take an insane amount of work to keep those cars up and running like they do.

Hope you guys made it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

I was there.
I bought a bunch of stuff in the swap meet this year, which was nice.
I think last year I only bought 1-2 things.

I think the swap meet was a little bit smaller than last year but probably just less sand rail stuff Very Happy

Yes, I noticed the grass area was closed this year too.
Bummer but I assume this was out of control of the organizers.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

The event in my opinion did not get a lot of hype...wish it did. If it was on at Saturday verses Sunday the event would probably be much larger.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

Man I want to love this show... but it needs some help in my opinion.
Too spread out, food and beverage vendors only near races.
I’ve been attending all kinds of VW and hot rod shows for 30 years and something’s missing. Anyone else have ideas?
I am glad Doug bugs stepped up this year as the main sponsor and I think this could be a good relationship in the future. This really could be the show for the Volkswagen People in years to come.
Honestly I may find a map of the place and sketch out a more intimate layout that I think alone might help the potential of making it one of the “must attend” shows in the region.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

I've never gotten food at the show but in the past I remember there being food vendors right by the main entrance into the show car area, by the fencing that borders the grassy section.

There has also been a food truck or 2 right where the swap area started, between the car show area and the swap meet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember when the food vendors were there too and that seamed to be better. I get it though, if attendance isn’t there food vendors don’t want their day wasted when they can be somewhere else.
So most likely one thing won’t make it all it can be but maybe a few small changes could make a huge difference.

Maybe inviting the dapper vintage cousin of the VW? Vintage Porsches (356’s and early 911/912’s up tom1973? Mostly to bring up the attendance.

Honestly though it’s just too spread out and they way the cars are parked is a little chaotic, too much of a free for all. I know we are all laid back VW people and want to have our wagon circle of buddies but I think there is a happy medium somewhere.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bug O Rama Phoenix 2019 Reply with quote

There are usually a bunch of 356s there too, in the "special" grass area.

Maybe they didn't attend because they knew the grass area was closed this year?
I don't know.

Older pic but here's a lineup of Porsches there
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: