Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can This Case Be Saved?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Type 1 H case. 10mm head stud in 14mm case saver pulled out of the case when torquing the head. Is there any way to repair this or am I buying a new case?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Big-Sert-Thread-Repair-Insert-10-x-1-5-x-20mm-p/50153.htm
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Time-Sert-Tool-Rental...l-5015.htm
The case can be saved.
I have rented this tool and installed Timeserts from AC.NET. Well worth the $$.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

I found that, too, when searching for a solution. Unfortunately, that calls for a 31/64” drilled hole but a 1/2” drill bit is loose in the existing hole. Crying or Very sad
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Perhaps one of these would work
https://www.ezlok.com/style/Solid-Wall/thread_m/M10~1.5/type/Insert

And remember: you stated that 1/2 drill bit fits readily into the hole; well the TimeSert Big Sert then has a tap to tap larger threads. I don't have information what thread/diameter the outside of the Big Sert has.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Could just make an insert any size you need. Example, take a 5/8 bolt. Cut the threaded end as long as the saver needs to be then tap the inside to 10x1.5mm. Now tap the hole to 5/8 and be done with it.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Might try the next size up: I've used 5/8-11 TPI savers. Requires drilling to .531" (17/32)".
Looks like an H0 case & BTW the saver to the immediate left of that pulled one appears ready to "exit" as well ....... how did that guy hold torque?
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

This new ad showed up in the classifieds today.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2259421

Dan
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
This new ad showed up in the classifieds today.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2259421

Dan

WOW, that is awesome! I’ve searched high and low on the internet with no results. Then totally failed trying to drill out a 5/8” bolt and about ready to admit defeat. I’ve emailed the seller and if I manage to get my hands on one (or more) may pay a professional to install since I’m about done screwing up this project. Thanks a bunch for the link!
1966 Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

I would go that route by replacing the case saver. Happened to us last century on an engine. The machinist called it an over size case saver. Worked great.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

I’ll have two case saver savers on the way to me tomorrow. Thank you all for the tips!
1966 Beetle
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

not saying you shouldn't repair this case, but since it originally didn't have case savers that means it's already been fixed before and probably has had a rough life....make sure it's worth saving
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
not saying you shouldn't repair this case, but since it originally didn't have case savers that means it's already been fixed before and probably has had a rough life....make sure it's worth saving

That's the trouble with these things. Use something 60 years, and all of a sudden, it flys all to pieces. Sorry POS. Lol.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Yes of course it can be saved. It will take some machining is all.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

If the repair fails then I’ll buy a new case. It’s worth the $5 investment in a case saver saver to give it a try. Engine was running strong before. I only took the heads off to replace leaking push rod tubes.
1966 Beetle
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Do not torque the heads down any more that 22 ft/lbs. If the head gets too hot it will pull studs again. The problem is 10mm head studs are tooo strong for the case. If the first case savers installed were 8mm stud inserts you would not be having this problem.

Dan
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Anyone sell 8mm studs with 10mm threads ?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Years ago Rimco would grind down the non thread area of 10mm studs but afaik they are NLA. Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

In 30+ years, that has only happened to me once. I threw the case in the garbage. If you can pull one stud insert, what's to stop the other ones from pulling? And for what, an H case? It seems like a very unnecessary risk to take when building a motor. I certainly wouldn't sell somebody one with a fix like that and put a warranty on it.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Again, I only took the heads off to replace leaking push rod tubes. It’s not a rebuild. Every step I take with this engine is a learning process. You can learn more about engines with an old problem one than a shiney new one. I won’t mind having a new one someday, even if that’s sooner rather than later but in the meantime I’m starting to learn how to do some stuff for myself.
1966 Beetle
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

I found out that the "H" cases are some of the softest case VW made. when i redid my H5 case i pulled a few threads, case saved anythin g that pulled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: