Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can This Case Be Saved?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
In 30+ years, that has only happened to me once. I threw the case in the garbage. If you can pull one stud insert, what's to stop the other ones from pulling? And for what, an H case? It seems like a very unnecessary risk to take when building a motor. I certainly wouldn't sell somebody one with a fix like that and put a warranty on it.

SevenOaks wrote:
Again, I only took the heads off to replace leaking push rod tubes. It’s not a rebuild. Every step I take with this engine is a learning process. You can learn more about engines with an old problem one than a shiney new one. I won’t mind having a new one someday, even if that’s sooner rather than later but in the meantime I’m starting to learn how to do some stuff for myself.

It's OK for the owner to make the field repair rather than replace the part.
To Roy's credit lot's of VW shops used all kinds of shady crap to repair cases, but 99% of them are not in business any more.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
In 30+ years, that has only happened to me once. I threw the case in the garbage. If you can pull one stud insert, what's to stop the other ones from pulling? And for what, an H case? It seems like a very unnecessary risk to take when building a motor. I certainly wouldn't sell somebody one with a fix like that and put a warranty on it.

SevenOaks wrote:
Again, I only took the heads off to replace leaking push rod tubes. It’s not a rebuild. Every step I take with this engine is a learning process. You can learn more about engines with an old problem one than a shiney new one. I won’t mind having a new one someday, even if that’s sooner rather than later but in the meantime I’m starting to learn how to do some stuff for myself.

It's OK for the owner to make the field repair rather than replace the part.
To Roy's credit lot's of VW shops used all kinds of shady crap to repair cases, but 99% of them are not in business any more.

Ha, ha.....yeah, I have a couple different levels of how to fix things. Some things I would only do for my own stuff, some fixes I call "desert island" fixes, which I would only do if I was stuck on a desert island and needed the motor to run to get back to civilization, then there are some fixes that are, "I don't want to buy a new one, please make it work" where I warn the customer that it isn't the best or longest lasting fix BUT it will work and is cheap. Then there are some "fixes" that I would never even waste my time with......like buying a hardware store bolt, drilling it out and using it for a case saver. It's really not hard to get a custom insert that is professionally made.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

So I got the 5/8” case savers yesterday and got the threads cut and cleaned up today. I used Loctite 592 to seal the threads. The head stud fits a bit loose in the saver so I used the Loctite on that, too. I’ll give it till tomorrow to set up but I’m not optimistic that the stud will stay put. If not I suppose the stud will turn until the threads bottom out which will put 2-3 threads past the end of the saver inside the case. Is that a problem or should I JB Weld the stud to the case saver? I figure this is the last chance for this case but I’d sure like to get this put together now and plan on a new engine build next year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Lookin' good: plenty of grease on the flutes & about 75% thread.
Now just test-fit the cylinder back into that location - if it can fully seat, you're fine. If not, it's bound-up & needs a bit of dressing-down on the high spot.
Lastly, mock-up the cylinders/head & compare this stud's installed height to its nearest neighbor.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

The heads are both back on and torqued to 22 ft/#.
The case is saved!

1966 Beetle
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Looks Good!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

You did some nice, clean work SevenOaks.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can This Case Be Saved? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. If you want to follow this to the finish please see this thread in the Bay Window forum.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713419
1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: