Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine skid plate question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

The PO replaced the Thing AM engine with an AE engine. not really sure where AE engines came from (bus or bug?). Anyone know if any of the Thing's stock engine skid plates, front, grill and rear, fit an AE engine? or were there Thing specific mounting holes on the AM engines? Thanks
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

My engine was replaced also and I had to drill and tap the holes for the rear engine guard.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
My engine was replaced also and I had to drill and tap the holes for the rear engine guard.

Thanks, was it only the rear guard that needed holes drilled?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

AE engines were used in the early to mid 70's in Beetles and Ghia's. Go to the Technical section and look under Vin/Chassis Numbers.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
AE engines were used in the early to mid 70's in Beetles and Ghia's. Go to the Technical section and look under Vin/Chassis Numbers.

Thanks, I’ve looked around on various VW code identification websites, seen it listed as having been in T2 Buses as well...

But really, Im just trying to find out if any of the Thing engine skid plates will bolt right on. Sounds like the rear guard won’t.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

I believe you need a bus case or a universal case. No expert here though.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I believe you need a bus case or a universal case. No expert here though.

You are right the bus case and some universial cases have the 3 mounting holes or the blocks I will call them to mount the rear mount. All other cases have just 2 blocks
GB
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
frogman_94 wrote:

Thanks, was it only the rear guard that needed holes drilled?

I only have the rear guard.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Yes only the rear guard needs the holes drilled in the block.
GB
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

germanbilly wrote:
Yes only the rear guard needs the holes drilled in the block.
GB

Perfect. Thanks!
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

AE case will accept rear skid plate
No drilling required
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

I have these parts for Hermann, with his AH case. I'm not sure what the sheet metal piece is for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BNMike
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Hermann must be a '73 since I believe the sheet metal piece that's in the photo is a cover piece for the gas heater that should be under his hood.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
Hermann must be a '73 since I believe the sheet metal piece that's in the photo is a cover piece for the gas heater that should be under his hood.

Yup, he's a '73, maybe two or three different '73's. Thanks, I couldn't figure out what good that piece of tin would do to shield the engine.

BNMike
Lleach9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

I have a 73 that came with an AJ numbered case and no attach points for the skid plates. I’m a newbie, so when you say drill and tap into the case, how deep can you drill before worrying about the integrity of the case?

Thanks
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Lleach9 wrote:
I have a 73 that came with an AJ numbered case and no attach points for the skid plates. I’m a newbie, so when you say drill and tap into the case, how deep can you drill before worrying about the integrity of the case?

Thanks

My case had one upper hole drilled but not tapped so I was able to tap that hole then I could use the skid plate as a template for the other holes.

The 2 top bolts are 10mm X 1.50 and 30mm deep and the bolt is 46 mm long.

The bottom bolt is 8mm X 1.25 and 20mm deep and the bolt is 32mm long.

Make sure you mark it before you drill the holes. Hope this helps. And be careful on the top holes and do not go to deep.
Lleach9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Thanks, that is excellent information. I will see if it makes sense to retrofit my setup.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Anyone have a complete list of bolts, including thread pitch for all the protection plates? The parts manual I have doesn’t list thread pitch, and it’s not clear how the front one is attached. Thanks
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

Can anyone describe how to attach the skid plates? I have four pieces and no bolts. And an AJ case.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine skid plate question Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446962&highlight=skid+plate+mounting
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: