Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Good morning! I am the proud owner of a 65 field bus. Sadly I was not the one to find it, but I have it and most of the parts. Unfortunately someone thought it woule be a good idea cut up and make a dune buggy out of this prefectly good 11 window split. A couple buddies, folks55 and The_Captainn, are amazing and folks55 is dragging it back to CA to get it put back together into a complete roller bus.

While we were loading this thing up, folks55 looked up the M-Plate code and found some very cool custom stuff with this bus.

It has the standard 081 for an 11 window walk-through. It had a column lock at one point verified by code 056.

At this point none of us really know what to make of it. It has a code that covers multiple various packages. Code 430. The M-Code page says "North American export package including M20, M24, M25, M90, M175, M620, M621" and "Panelvan, Kombi, Microbus Seen on Gibraltar '65 SO-42" BUT it doesn't have SO-42 stamped anywhere.

Does anyone know what this means? It's a tin-top but has elements of a camper, like the S curtain rods and button points for the front shade, but tie-down points for seats like and non-camper windows like a transporter. I see pics of SO-42 buses when I search on here, but none quite match this bus, so does anyone have any idea of what the SO-42 package consists of for a 65 tin-top?

PICS TO COME! (*HAVE TO UPLOAD THEM AND I AM AT WORK AND CAN'T*)

Last edited by VWHotSauce on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

The interior of SO42 package doesn't really vary from tin top to pop top. It is the exterior that varies as it gets kitted out with pop top, roofrack, tent etc.

There are three levels of trim for So42. According to this site there are 4 actually.

They are spelt out as

A42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, no exterior fitments
B42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack
C42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top
D42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, with side tent and roof rack

Pics would help immenslet. Also worth noting that louvered windows tend to me a more north american thing, Euro westy's typically weren't outfiited with these originally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

A42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, no exterior fitments
B42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack
C42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top
D42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, with side tent and roof rack

That would be stamped somewhere, right? The M-plate doesn't have it on either the one by fresh air vent or the one behind the pass seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

Take a look at the vinplate on the overhead fresh air box. it should have a -42 after the model number.

we need a pic of the mcode plate

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

If its missing the port code (lower left) but the paint code starts with 523xxx it could still be a Westfalia.

These are the plates from a similar bus:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by srfndoc on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

So, I guess the biggest thing is that the interior panels are Standard Microbus Interior panels, but the thing has camper pieces. It has a little bracket to hold something to the right back door. It has the spots to hold the elastic to hold back the curtians. It has curtain rods.

On the other hand, it has standard windows. It has popouts on the rear two windows. It has the cloth roof like a std instead of the birch panels. It's a weird mix.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

VWHotSauce wrote:
So, I guess the biggest thing is that the interior panels are Standard Microbus Interior panels, but the thing has camper pieces. It has a little bracket to hold something to the right back door. It has the spots to hold the elastic to hold back the curtians. It has curtain rods.

On the other hand, it has standard windows. It has popouts on the rear two windows. It has the cloth roof like a std instead of the birch panels. It's a weird mix.

Pics, including M-code plate please.

It sounds like a standard microbus, that had camper stuff installed at some point. It is possibly a legit Westy conversion, and if a German sold bus they could have had Westfalia do a light camper install back in the day. (bought a la carte) (there is a thread on this somewhere)
It is more likely that a PO did a camper conversion at at some point.

If m-coded for steering lock, it was probably a German sold bus. (no port code)

Nice find!
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
VWHotSauce wrote:

Pics, including M-code plate please.

It sounds like a standard microbus, that had camper stuff installed at some point. It is possibly a legit Westy conversion, and if a German sold bus they could have had Westfalia do a light camper install back in the day. (bought a la carte) (there is a thread on this somewhere)
It is more likely that a PO did a camper conversion at at some point.

If m-coded for steering lock, it was probably a German sold bus. (no port code)

Nice find!

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

No destination or camper codes.

Microbus

Velvet Green Blue wht? mesh gray interior.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
No destination or camper codes.

Microbus

Velvet Green Blue wht? mesh gray interior.

It's definately Velvet Green. The confusing thing is the 430. It shows that it's a package for something, but I don't know how to look up what all the packages are. There's no destination port and it's got a locking column, so so like the above dude said maybe sold in Germany and done ala carte?
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

VWHotSauce wrote:
The confusing thing is the 430. It shows that it's a package for something, but I don't know how to look up what all the packages are.

That 430 M-Code (Package) includes separate M-Codes that may be found in this list...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

German pick up but with North American specs.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
VWHotSauce wrote:
The confusing thing is the 430. It shows that it's a package for something, but I don't know how to look up what all the packages are.

That 430 M-Code (Package) includes separate M-Codes that may be found in this list...

...so this is a 12V bus?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

Here's a legit German delivered 65' so-33 subhatch Westy with nothing on the m-plate to prove it as such. No 523 paint code either..

From here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673066&highlight=karma

When I spoke with Daniel last night about this bus and all the little details (like curtain bungees, door cabinet bracket, cab snaps for curtains etc.)

I wondered if it was possible that it was an so-22 Westfalia Mozaik kit??

Last edited by oakman on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

VWHotSauce wrote:
RHD Notch wrote:
VWHotSauce wrote:

...so this is a 12V bus?

It shows that it is part of the 430 package so yes.

I'm looking forward to seeing this bus in person when it gets here.
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Here's a legit German delivered 65' so-33 subhatch Westy with nothing on the m-plate to prove it as such. No 523 paint code either..

From here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673066&highlight=karma

When I spoke with Daniel last night about this bus and all the little details (like curtain bungees, door cabinet bracket, cab snaps for curtains etc.)

I wondered if it was possible that it was an so-22 Westfalia Mozaik kit??

YO! THIS IS IT! All the stuff fits! I found this thread of this guy's Mosaik int and where stuff is fits the stuff we found in the green one!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

[quote="VWHotSauce"

YO! THIS IS IT! All the stuff fits! I found this thread of this guy's Mosaik int and where stuff is fits the stuff we found in the green one!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

[/quote]

Yours being a walkthrough would have most likely had something different I would guess but who knows? There is a walkthrough so-23 after all..

We need more pics!! It has child cot brackets in the cab on the pillars as well right??
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

We need more pics!! It has child cot brackets in the cab on the pillars as well right??

That it do! I should have some on my phone. I'll post 'em tonight. Unfortunately, it was on the dark side of my shop, so they are all super dim.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

Id look for: tent mounts, 8 holes on a and b pillers for cot mount holes, four holes on upper forward cargo door for cabinet bracket, 8 holes for table on rear cargo door...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-42 Interior Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Id look for: tent mounts, 8 holes on a and b pillers for cot mount holes, four holes on upper forward cargo door for cabinet bracket, 8 holes for table on rear cargo door...

I'm pretty certain it still has the child's cot brackets. I did see a picture of the forward cargo door and it does have the bracket on it for the door cabinet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: