Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Geneva show review of new Buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/heres-volkswagens-all-electric-dune-buggy-and-its-more-1833047902

From what little I have seen the corporate dirtbags are letting the auto press discuss the origins of this model. Perhaps they were afraid of having to buy Bruce a ticket to Geneva and him getting some credit.

...more likely, this is another PR scam like the re-birth of the Bus.

Jim
Manx #2614
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

The offical press release from VW does mention the Meyers Manx. More info and photos here. https://media.vw.com/releases/1128
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Less VW Diesel smoke.

More VW Electrical Smoke...

bnc
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

I actually really like it. It is not a bad modern interpretation of the buggy, I would drive one. I particularly like the modular frame design, although positioning it like some sort of new technology is quite funny because of the history of the bug. Which leads me to my problem with it all. They make these concepts which obviously lean heavily on their past, but with only a passing mention of it. There is so much more VW could do to bring in the passionate aircooled community but they largely ignore us. And to not even mention Bruce in their press releases is poor form. He was screwed by many people copying him throughout his life, why VW chooses to do it again is beyond me. It seems like a missed opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

I would like to see it next to my buggy. It looks a lot bigger all around. 104" wheelbase compared to 80" for a Manx.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Stand corrected. Thanks, Q-D.

I can see an enterprising Chinese company looking at that modular concept and saying' "Why not simply supply an electric flatbed like this with the options being FWD, RWD, and FWD." Can you imagine the savings if you do not have to support all that other infrastructure and overheads?

Plopping a third-party body on it (ala Manx) may not pass DOT in this country, but I would bet it could be a big hit elsewhere. ...maybe even here, if you don't call it a 'Dune Buggy.'

Jim
Manx #2614
zosofan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Stand corrected. Thanks, Q-D.

I can see an enterprising Chinese company looking at that modular concept and saying' "Why not simply supply an electric flatbed like this with the options being FWD, RWD, and FWD." Can you imagine the savings if you do not have to support all that other infrastructure and overheads?

Plopping a third-party body on it (ala Manx) may not pass DOT in this country, but I would bet it could be a big hit elsewhere. ...maybe even here, if you don't call it a 'Dune Buggy.'

Jim

About 15 to 20 years ago, I saw a GM concept hydrogen vehicle that was exactly that. They called it a skateboard that you could set interchangeable bodies on. Sedan during the week, sports car or truck body on the weekends.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Chances of this car and any other electric cars making it past the concept/novelty stage any time soon are pretty slim in my view. I cannot see a place for them outside of very mild climates and as a very short distance commuter car. The rest of the world is stuck with some other form of petroleum based fuel for a long time yet.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

ORPN, You may be right for the most part, above the 43rd parallel north, but I live about 3 hours from upscale import brand dealers (aside from MB), and yet we have about four Teslas around here (more than German/Italian exotics) ...including a 6-pack of charging stands at our local Mall. You don't even notice a Prius anymore...

Jim
Manx #2614
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Saw this in person yesterday, kind of cool looking. As with all new editions of old models, it has gained some weight. The person there said it might go to market in two years.

And every manufacturer had some electric vehicle on display, so it is more than a passing fad now.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Prototypes and even limited production runs were made as far back as the late 1800s and we are still at that stage because even though the technology has come a long way, so has the buying public's expectations.

In ideal conditions some of the offerings are getting close to practical as far as range but when conditions deteriorate the electrics lose ground very quickly. Things like charging time, power consumption for heaters, defrosters, heated seats, wipers, sound systems, air conditioning, wipers, power widows and seats never mind the loss of battery capacity in the cold to name a few take a far bigger toll on the electric car than the conventional one.

And the buying public have come to expect these things. What would you do on a -20 day in the winter to warm up the interior, seats and clear the windows so you could drive it away? Idle it for 10 minutes? How would battery life hold out in stop and go traffic gridlock at 110*F for and hour or more with the AC on? How about being stuck on the freeway for 4 or 5 hours from a traffic accident in the winter, will there be enough power to keep warm AND drive the rest of the way home when it clears?

I have actually yet to see a pure electric vehicle on the road in my part of the world.

It's a nice dream though... maybe we will be there one day but for now it looks to just be advertising posturing, a "How high can you pee up the barn wall?" contest between cars manufacturers.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Prototypes and even limited production runs were made as far back as the late 1800s and we are still at that stage because even though the technology has come a long way, so has the buying public's expectations.

In ideal conditions some of the offerings are getting close to practical as far as range but when conditions deteriorate the electrics lose ground very quickly. Things like charging time, power consumption for heaters, defrosters, heated seats, wipers, sound systems, air conditioning, wipers, power widows and seats never mind the loss of battery capacity in the cold to name a few take a far bigger toll on the electric car than the conventional one.

And the buying public have come to expect these things. What would you do on a -20 day in the winter to warm up the interior, seats and clear the windows so you could drive it away? Idle it for 10 minutes? How would battery life hold out in stop and go traffic gridlock at 110*F for and hour or more with the AC on? How about being stuck on the freeway for 4 or 5 hours from a traffic accident in the winter, will there be enough power to keep warm AND drive the rest of the way home when it clears?

I have actually yet to see a pure electric vehicle on the road in my part of the world.

It's a nice dream though... maybe we will be there one day but for now it looks to just be advertising posturing, a "How high can you pee up the barn wall?" contest between cars manufacturers.

... we'll all be dead in 12 years anyway. The Environment & all that.

bnc
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:

... we'll all be dead in 12 years anyway. The Environment & all that.

Maybe not 12, but things are changing fast and we’re all pretty screwed
bnc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Chances of this car and any other electric cars making it past the concept/novelty stage any time soon are pretty slim in my view. I cannot see a place for them outside of very mild climates and as a very short distance commuter car. The rest of the world is stuck with some other form of petroleum based fuel for a long time yet.

I rather be stuck with a petroleum fuels car than stuck with an electric one mandated by the greenies.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Seeing how VW is anal about trademarks, including the shape of the Bug, they sure are hypocritical in making a copy of the shape of a Manx as they have.

https://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters...trademarks

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Geneva show review of new Buggy Reply with quote

Bluebus- I agree with you... VW are kind of buttholes by not giving credit to Bruce Meyers.
I also have to say they suck about trying to support us all as vw hobbyists. Look how much BMW and I think Porsche backs-up/appreciates its loyal enthusiasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: