Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Goodness, that's worse than mine at 500 miles (from the same rebuilder).

Such a disappointment but Sodo isn't the only one who has warned us about this rebuilder (this is not AA).

Yeah, es no bueno…I texted this to the dude I got it from (he has another trans — w Peloquin) and he seemed surprised. If Sodo's theory is right, that this is all just trash from the old parts, pre-rebuild, it's pretty embarassing. Who wouldn't clean out all of that before putting new bearings and cleaned parts back in there?

To be fair, it sounds better than my old one, no whining in all gears that I had gotten used to (my sound deadening doesn't: I hear everything). But this does make me wonder how many miles are in it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Wow, that looks pretty bad.

Pardon my forgetting, but isn't your original tranny pretty low miles?

At this point, I do wonder about rebuilding yours and scrapping this replacement heap.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

185k. Rebuilding it is an option, I still have it. Might be the long term play…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Good. Hoping for better at your 500-mile check.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
But there is a gallon of FLAPS's best 75-90 in there for the flush cycle.

I'm actually surprised you drained it at 20 miles, I thought you were fed up already. Wink
You seem reluctant/torn/pessimistic about this effort in trying to get a ten-year transaxle under your van.
It can be done, it's just a lot harder to do in the state of WA.

Your fresh Swepco, sitting for some weeks could be crystal-clear by now. You might decant the clean oil into a clear gallon and look in the sunlight. (a clear water gallon from the super-market costs about $1). The Redline might be clear by now too. Months is better than weeks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's best to store the jug tipped like THIS so the heavy stuff goes down to the bottom corner.
Then when you tip it up, the heavy stuff is farthest away from the opening.

Lift the jug slowly and pour slowly (with good light below, such as white paper) until you see the narrow dark stripe appear center-stream, then you stop. The narrow stripe is the lighter-weight particles (above the steel level) so STOP, because the steel layer will be coming soon after. It will be about 95% super-clean oil.

GL-5 being only $16/gallon at FLAPS.... this is for the hobbyist of course.
Also for those who can tolerate the smell or mess
or don't wanna waste resources.

Anyway, you can assume I'd recommend flushing that trans until the magnet tells you it's "fairly clean" (if ever?). If you can get to "clean baseline" then run a 15,000 mile interval..... and come out "clean" again, that's really good to know about that trans.

Using the odometer works for newish, OEM transaxles that only "oxidize" their oil. The odometer is absolutely the wrong tool for rebuilt transaxles of old high-mile used parts that are currently deleting life-miles due to lubricant self-contamination. Self immolation, hari-kiri etc.

That's like checking your tire pressure by odometer intervals.
You could driver many miles on low pressure, causing damage.
IO know this is obvious, just making a point.

If that trans "runs clean" you can sell it with "pretty good conscience" after you get your "real" trans back from German Transaxle.
Agreed it takes some "work" to do this.
And it's possible that it won't ever run clean.
But it might.
Lots of Vanagon owners are out there running loads of trash right in their gear oil now, and the trans isn't failing tomorrow or next week.
Maybe next month (probably next year or two....)
Ten years would be nice, right?

Definitely SAVE any chunks found. Identifying it as "recent" or "previous trash" is very useful for "qualifying this trans".
For example if that chunk was part of the "3rd/4th slider hub" that would be "previous trash".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Haven't drained the Swepco yet…just hauled the trans up to the 6th floor yesterday as part of this exercise. I need to see how much comes out, for one thing, and see the magnet. I bet it's cleaner than the "new" one.

The Redline didn't look great. More like used motor oil than the golden syrup that I replaced it with. And since I only got three quarts, I'll need to add more anyway. If the magnet looks good next time, maybe the Swepco goes in.

The reason it has 20 miles and not just 5 or so was because I wanted to confirm that the shifter needs adjusting. Having trouble getting into 1st. Pulling away in 2nd is OK unless I am on a grade and I am surrounded by them here. My guy will take care of that this week. Once that's sorted, I'll drive it some more and do another decant and inspection.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

We all have varied perspectives for endless reasons, but...

If I were you, I'd see this fill-in tranny as two things:
1). A gift
2). A core

... and send your known one in for a rebuild while this core still functions.

Sounds like you have an agreed return of the core locally, all the better if the math says so.

Happy Shifting.

— Colin Chapman
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

1). A gift
2). A core

Pretty much how it is coming into focus for me…it relieves the pressure to Just Do Something, while allowing me to use the van. The drain/fill exercise is to stave off any potential for it to grenade on me.

I measured the dimensions so I can size a box to ship the core in but didn't write them down… Rolling Eyes I can do that when I drain the Swepco…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Paul, don't panic. And don't let the one guy here who has the worst luck with transmissions pull you into his story. You might be just fine. In any case, you don't know yet, he doesn't know, and no one here knows, so just proceed in a measured way. Repeatedly flushes is a good idea until you don't see anything on the magnet. People buy used transaxles all the time and just run them. So one that was opened up and had some work done by a competent rebuilder is a step ahead of that in my book. I wouldn't rebuild a transaxle in advance and store it, because your warranty starts the day you get it.

You can try adjusting the shifter base yourself. Under the boot are 10mm nuts that you can loosen a little bit and move the plate around to get a better shift feel. What I do is loosen them and shift it into the gear that seems the hardest to find, then tighten them up. There is a bit of trial and error to it and you can keep a socket wrench with you when you go for a drive and make small adjustments until it feels the best.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Clarifying your second sentence would be fair play.

If you're implying Sodo, I do not concur, the man has invested an enormous amount of time helping others for zero gain.

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
E1 wrote:

1). A gift
2). A core

Pretty much how it is coming into focus for me…it relieves the pressure to Just Do Something, while allowing me to use the van. The drain/fill exercise is to stave off any potential for it to grenade on me.

I measured the dimensions so I can size a box to ship the core in but didn't write them down… Rolling Eyes I can do that when I drain the Swepco…

Good, Paul. 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

^^^Ditto E1. Not often one will share the trauma of things going bad when its bunches of bucks getting ground up - repeatedly. Trying to help others avoid said pitfalls is most welcome to this synchro trans owner.

Not panicking is sound advice and we don't have to listen to what the guys on soapboxes say...but when they make sense (and talk with pictures! Very Happy ) I'm going to listen to it and consider the outcomes. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it ( Rolling Eyes ) but its much appreciated here.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

You can try adjusting the shifter base yourself. Under the boot are 10mm nuts that you can loosen a little bit and move the plate around to get a better shift feel. What I do is loosen them and shift it into the gear that seems the hardest to find, then tighten them up. There is a bit of trial and error to it and you can keep a socket wrench with you when you go for a drive and make small adjustments until it feels the best.

Huh. I didn't know it was that easy. I thought it would take a lot of fumbling around under the clamshell.

And yes, people buy used transaxles all the time, most of them already bolted up. The risk factors on this one are the rebuilder's rep offset by the fact that it has been gone through and (I hope) has new bearings and maybe even a better 4th gear. I hope to get the build sheet/receipt one of these days. I hope I don't appear to be panicking. This is all new to me but I am trying to be methodical and practical while actually putting the trans to work.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

>>>People buy used transaxles all the time and just run them
Sorry this program was defunded in 2007. There are no used transaxles, just “cores” Laughing sorry thats not really funny to someone in need.

>>>one that was opened up and had some work done by a competent rebuilder is a step ahead of that in my book.
Agreed. Who’s the competent rebuilder that doesn’t clean the parts? Does this builder inspect parts for serviceability before re-use? Then just slam it together and out the door?

>>>I wouldn't rebuild a transaxle in advance and store it, because your warranty starts the day you get it.

2years @ 12,000 miles (a lot for an antique) is only 24,000 miles. A rebuilt should run 80,000 miles. Don’t put much faith on warranty past a few months. Scarcity is a real problem. Besides R&R is not offered in any tranaxle warranty and adds what....$600? In those cases it’s better to go to a shop where the shop is willing to accept that risk. Seattle area shops have been burned by our WA tranny shops though, they’re at the end of their ropes too.

PaulB I think you made a good choice (risk?) getting this Transaxle to take the heat off, and do your other one “right”.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Dave V is responding (in error) to the other guys new “Transaxle Problem” thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716505 Where checking linkage (first) is the logical sequence.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop says I need a new transmission: what's recommended? Reply with quote

Here's the old magnet after running on Swepco for a few thousand miles/15 months.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice and clean. Not sure I am going to reuse the Redline, considering how crappy it looked after 20 miles. This stuff looks super clean, bright blue, not oxidized (I assume?). The Redline looked like used crankcase oil, I presume from picking all the scuzz from the unclean case and re-used parts.

EDIT: just poured off the Swepco from the pan into a jug for settling. It looked good, no glitter or anything.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: