Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

50 years of time causes embrittlement and decay of the cable tube for the rear footwell heat vent. Here is how I repaired them.
[Note: The parts shown are for my 69' squareback and 69' fastback projects.]

I took a couple measurements of my broken tubes, and then found this at my local hobby shop.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here we are laid out to do the repair.

First, a good cleaning of the flap and cable. I used Griot's Rubber cleaner and a soft nail brush to clean up the rubber on the flap, and then treated it with Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing.
Then used steel wool to polish off any corrosion on the cable.
(Not advertising for Griot's. Point is to use a cleaner compatible with rubber and then a treatment to keep it good.)
[/img]

For my 69', the tube is 305mm in length. I cut the tubes to length using an xacto knife. Holding the clip in the vise, I was able to use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry up the clip to release the old tube. Slid the new tube in, leaving 50mm of the tube extended from the clip. And then a set of pliers to gently squeeze the clip back down onto the new tube.

First one all done. Three more to go.

Installed on the squareback pan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

I love your threads, man
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

I need to refurb mine, so this is great!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Nice work around. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

By golly that is a nice job. Should consider making repair kits and sell them. Several of us type 3 folks sure could use some of those unobtanium parts.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Thank you for the positive comments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Damn...I wish I had caught you earlier.

Very nice repair!...but done with the totally wrong material. The evergreen modeling plastic is Polystyrene. It is brittle ...has less than 150* F heat resistance, shrinks and distorts with age, very poor impact resistance, even less abrasion resistance...and "0" resistance to greases and oils.

It a modeling plastic. Its designed to be soft, low impact, easy to cut...and easy to heat bend with as little as hot air.

You can get what is largely that same product....precision plastic tube...of the right materials...for close to that product cost.

That is a #225 tube. Its is .156" OD and .100" ID. I use lots of Evergreen stuff...especially for mold and prototype making. Very precise....but not an engineering plastic.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1811/0745/files/...8683777240

If you want something very close...this works perfectly for replacing trunk release cable sheath tubes on type 3 and 4 cars...and will last until after you are dead.....

6/6 nylon tube...white ...1/4" OD and 1/8" ID....about .80 cents a foot in 5 foot lengths. I have three feet I could have given you.

This is a little stiffer...comes in black or white....lasts about as long....not quite a slick ...black or white delrin tube. This is 3/6" OD and 1/8" ID...$1.26 per foot in 3 and 5 foot lengths.

Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Ray,

As usual, you keep us straight regarding materials and their properties. I've got an order going to McMaster, so I'll add these on and post an update when I get the material.

Thank you.

Tim
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Earlier cars had metal tubes welded in to that location, right?

Wonder if it would be worth it to sleeve them?

Think

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Earlier cars had metal tubes welded in to that location, right?

Wonder if it would be worth it to sleeve them?

Think

I think some did, and some didn't. I doubt it would be worth sleeving them, as they hardly ever get used.

At least we can count on Ray to give us the proper type of plastic to replace the tubes with. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

So, here is the update with the correct material. I ordered a 5 foot section of "White Delrin Acetal Resin Tube, Tight-Tolerance, 3/16" OD x 1/8" ID. McMaster-Carr part# 8627K129".
A little tougher material so I used an X-Acto fine tooth saw blade to cut the lengths

and then a tool from the tool box to deburr the ID.

Here is a comparison of the materials:
Original on the left, the Delrin in the middle, and the polystyrene on the right.

The OD of this material is slightly larger than the original so it requires some finessing of the bracket to open it up without bending/damaging the bracket.
But the task was accomplished and the bracket was successfully crimped onto the Delrin material.

I was able to get 5 tubes from the 5' stick.

This picture shows:
4 poly tubes (the wrong stuff).
A 3/8" left over chunk from the 5' delrin stick.
2 original tubes
1 extra Delrin tube
The 2 assembly's using Delrin for the fastback
An assembly from a '73, which is all plastic type material, no metal bracket.

And the two assembly's for the squareback are installed on the squareback pan.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing the Flap Cable Tube, Rear footwell heat vent Reply with quote

The Delrin while not as slick as,nylon... should be plenty slick enough and tough enough and has better rigidity.

Try not to use really super hot solvents like MEK on it.....but otherwise it should do well!

Nice work! Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: