Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

I can't hold myself... Must show you guys... Laughing
I just bought a REALLY strange engine and what you see is what I know, because that's all I've seen to! Rolling Eyes I bought it as is and have to wait to getting it home (1100 miles) so I can see what's in it! NOT a clue... Shocked

But you can see that the case is from 24.9.46 on the last picture. 🤔
It is 16 valve and 4 cam... and it's not finnished!
Maybe someone tryed to make an aircraft engine, but then it should have double sparks.
We'll see...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Nice engine ...it does look to be an airplane engine ..its been shown that 4 valve heads don't work vary well in an aircooled engine there's always problems with the exhaust valves on 4 valve air cooled engines ... I can't wait till you open it up to See what's in it ...i hope you can show pics when you do 👍 ...how much you buy this engine for ?? And what country???
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Wow! Are those Aluminum Cylinders? Can't wait to see how the cams are chained to the crank! What were you thinking of running it in?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

German-made Vogelsang VW-based engine for German WW2 navy landing craft? The aluminum parts actually look almost too good/uncorroded to be that old.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
German-made Vogelsang VW-based engine for German WW2 navy landing craft? The aluminum parts actually look almost too good/uncorroded to be that old.

The heads look to be billet too... I doubt they were doing billet aluminum in that time and the alan wrench bolts on the cam covers seems new age to me to ..i think someone got a 46 case and build it ..heads were build maybe20/30 years ago but who knows i could be 100 % wrong it's my guessing ..
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Nice engine ...it does look to be an airplane engine ..its been shown that 4 valve heads don't work vary well in an aircooled engine there's always problems with the exhaust valves on 4 valve air cooled engines ... I can't wait till you open it up to See what's in it ...i hope you can show pics when you do 👍 ...how much you buy this engine for ?? And what country???

We'll see if we can find out more about the machine!
I got a winning bid at an auction in UK, England... But I'm from Sweden...
It was an ordinary irl auction with Internet function and this lot was the only engine part together with books, paintings and other shit stuff! So I got it quite sheep... MAYBE... 🤔

Danwvw wrote:
Wow! Are those Aluminum Cylinders? Can't wait to see how the cams are chained to the crank! What were you thinking of running it in?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it... 😂 Need to check it up first before I make a plan...
But I'm working on a -65 panel bus with a quick change system for swapping the complete powertrain! 😁 Maybe parts of this can be something for that... 🤔

Rome wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The heads look to be billet too... I doubt they were doing billet aluminum in that time and the alan wrench bolts on the cam covers seems new age to me to ..i think someone got a 46 case and build it ..heads were build maybe20/30 years ago but who knows i could be 100 % wrong it's my guessing ..

I can't agree more with you both... But it's still a mystery...
Who the fuck did all that and WHY...??? Am I going to find a total failure inside? Why killing a case from 1946 in "modern time"? Is it totaly billet or lots of casting?

I try to get in contact with the seller (thrue the auction company) and see if that's ANY history available!
Is it somebodys father with technic skills and his own work shop? And he just passed away...??? OR WHAT? 🤔

Last edited by Raffenerat on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

I know the heads are not finished ,or have many pics of it yet .. but what I was thinking is how would the oil for the cams enter the top intake cams and also how would the oil drain from the top to the bottom. the porsche 4 cam has a tube from the intake cam to the exhaust cams for the oil to drain to 🤔🤔 maybe the person didn't think of it but I can't wait till you open it up and show us what's in it ...im a big big fan of stuff like this I love how people come up with new ideas that no one has seen ..it gives me more confident to make stuff like this do to the fact if they can build stuff like this in there time for sure we can do it with all the technology we have compare to them and they did it come on folks use your brain and start making cool heads for our vw 25hp,36hp,40hp engines 🤔👍👍👏👏
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I know the heads are not finished ,or have many pics of it yet .. but what I was thinking is how would the oil for the cams enter the top intake cams and also how would the oil drain from the top to the bottom. the porsche 4 cam has a tube from the intake cam to the exhaust cams for the oil to drain to 🤔🤔 maybe the person didn't think of it but I can't wait till you open it up and show us what's in it ...im a big big fan of stuff like this I love how people come up with new ideas that no one has seen ..it gives me more confident to make stuff like this do to the fact if they can build stuff like this in there time for sure we can do it with all the technology we have compare to them and they did it come on folks use your brain and start making cool heads for our vw 25hp,36hp,40hp engines 🤔👍👍👏👏

🤘😂 I also had my thoughts on the oil, but I wait... 🤔
I like when people are using their brains for fun tech... And my personel problem is to much thinking, to many thoughts, to many projects and to less time... 🤔
(my english isn't perfect, but U understand)
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Perhaps Subaru cams will bolt right in .
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
Perhaps Subaru cams will bolt right in .

Propobly not! Different CC between the cylinders...
But maybee Porsche 356 Carrera... Sounds sheap! Not... 🤔
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

That must be one of the coolest engines I have ever seen!!! You can be really lucky.

It was like a trend in the 50's to modify especially 25hp aluminium engines to 4 cam engine. I heard people were also using Lloyd Alexander heads. I find it interesting to see casted parts for a unique engine, always have to think about the effort, time and money to build these parts in a small number of units.

Regarding the issue of missing oil in the heads... looks like the oil cooler was placed somewhere else, so tubes could also supply the heads with lubrication?

Can't wait to see more pics and how it looks inside!!

Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
That must be one of the coolest engines I have ever seen!!! You can be really lucky.

It was like a trend in the 50's to modify especially 25hp aluminium engines to 4 cam engine. I heard people were also using Lloyd Alexander heads. I find it interesting to see casted parts for a unique engine, always have to think about the effort, time and money to build these parts in a small number of units.

Regarding the issue of missing oil in the heads... looks like the oil cooler was placed somewhere else, so tubes could also supply the heads with lubrication?

Can't wait to see more pics and how it looks inside!!

Jan

Yeah, it's really cool...
But I have to many projects - even cooler - so I'll see what to do with this one! 🤔
Maybe it's fit in my -65 panel bus... or not... 🙄
I need to get about 300 years old to manage all my crazy projects... 🤪👌
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

What a weapon! Interested to see the internals of it.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

is anyone else thinking the cam covers look to be different to the heads/timing chain covers?

not only the alloy a different colour, but some of the details and there looks to be more grot in the fins of the heads.

possibly a later attempt to finish the project off??

i like how you can see the layout markings in the first picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

So any new news about the engine ..have you gotten it home already ..
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
So any new news about the engine ..have you gotten it home already ..

Nope, still waiting for a guy to help me get it shipped, (when he has time)! No panic! If it had been closer I would go myself, but it's about 1120 miles from here... and back...
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Läckert fynd! Smile
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

anthax wrote:
Läckert fynd! Smile

Ja, vi får se vad fan det är! Inte en ANING om vad det är inuti... Vet inte ett smack mer än vad bilderna säger! Haha.... Snacka om att shoppa grisen i säcken!
Den står i min kollegas dotters garage i Dover och väntar på att dom ska få tid att packa den för transport! Man vill ju inte ligga på när man får hjälp av bekantas bekanta....
Den som väntar på nått gott, väntar alltid för länge... 😁
Kjell T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Finns det några uppgifter på var denna intressanta motor är byggd?
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 Engine case with 4 Cam & 16V Reply with quote

Kjell T wrote:
Finns det några uppgifter på var denna intressanta motor är byggd?

Ingenting öht...
Försökt luska fram NÅNTING via auktionsfirman som sålde den, men inget resultat...

(Let's write in english from now! Wink )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: