Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I re-fixed a Asher hose fitting in the air box of my 1974 Super Beetle. I’ve had the trunk lid open, and when the wife got home she said she smells gas.

I’ve had a very slight fume leak for a while now, and previously replaced all hoses going to and from the tank. I did this about five years ago, and all the hoses have been leak free.

However, a few months ago, I noticed a very slight fuel smell (not enough to waft into the cabin), and I found the culprit—a male vapor nipple, just before the big filler neck. It should have been soldered when the tank was manufactured, and because it wasn’t, it allowed fumes to escape. I used JB Weld putty, and this worked for quite awhile, but now it’s leaking fumes again.

Is there better—fuel resistant—substance I can use that will take care of this issue for good?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Yesterday, I re-fixed a Asher hose fitting in the air box of my 1974 Super Beetle. I’ve had the trunk lid open, and when the wife got home she said she smells gas.

I’ve had a very slight fume leak for a while now, and previously replaced all hoses going to and from the tank. I did this about five years ago, and all the hoses have been leak free.

However, a few months ago, I noticed a very slight fuel smell (not enough to waft into the cabin), and I found the culprit—a male vapor nipple, just before the big filler neck. It should have been soldered when the tank was manufactured, and because it wasn’t, it allowed fumes to escape. I used JB Weld putty, and this worked for quite awhile, but now it’s leaking fumes again.

Is there better—fuel resistant—substance I can use that will take care of this issue for good?

Tim

If the nipple is loose do to lack of solder, or possibly brazing, then attempts to seal it may be in vain. A fuel proof tank sealer that is used to "repair " pin hole leaks in fuel tanks is a good option. Sealers such as Aviation Brand Form a Gasket are advertised as fuel proof. But again, if the nipple can move around do to lack of solder, even a fuel proof sealer may not work.

Good Luck.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

You might try this. It is good stuff. Cures hard as a rock and is chemical and fuel resistant.

https://repaintsupply.com/por-15-ppb-por-patch-black-sealer-p3334.html

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

Blue, the fitting isn’t loose at all. Thy just didn’t seal it up properly.

David, that product you mentioned looks promising.

I also found a Permatex product—a putty—that says it’s fuelproof.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

I used jb weld liquid stuff on the sending unit for my old bronco, the pick up and return tubes were spinning on the sending unit so the tank wouldn't pass ca emissions. Jb weld and no problems. I'd scuff the surface really well first.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

Marine Tex works the best with gas

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

JB weld epoxy
Is fuel resistant
Cures hard as a rock
Can be painted
Cheap
Easily purchased
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

Seal All is fuel proof and can get into the tiniest of cracks to seal them up. It is flexable so that if there is movement it won't crack.

brad
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What goop to seal a fuel tank fitting? Reply with quote

I tried epoxies on the metal nipple of the expansion chamber which had loosened up but it never sealed properly. I finally soldered it and it is leak proof now. Be careful with the fumes though and heat (obviously).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: