Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley carbs?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

I'm currently putting my 1600 dp engine back together and I don't want to reuse the 36 pic carb and egr manifold. I don't want to spend more than 200 and have seen some Holley carbs on eBay. Are those carbs any good? If not what would be a good with that budget other than the 34 pict carb and single heat riser manifold.
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2142931
Something like this?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Holley stopped making the Bugspray carbs long ago. I believe the base for that carb is cast iron which mean they wear or rust. You should probably expect you will need to budget a full rebuild of the carb to include re-bushing the throttle shafts and replacing any old worn parts.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
Are those carbs any good? If not what would be a good with that budget other than the 34 pict carb and single heat riser manifold.

Lemme guess - this going on to a stock engine?
Regardless, not worth the effort: the Holley Slug Spray is a crude POS.
For $200, you should be able to find a used REAL carb that has emulsion tubes & air correction capability: like a Zenith 32 NDIX or perhaps Weber 40 DCNF.
Better yet, add another hundred or so & move up to some dual carbs like K-Dogs, baby Webers or Dells. Once jetted/tuned, you will not regret the move up.

A real quick search found some typical deals:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Hmm the cheapest one is 350 from that link. At that price I may as well get dual 34 Weber icts from cb. But that's 200 above 😬
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Maybe try a single DCNF if the wallet is a bit gun-shy.
The $350 lot depicted - vvvv below vvvvv - is about $500 worth of gear:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OldIronSpine wrote:
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

that kit works just fine with a stock 1600 dp? hmmmmm Think I may just try and go for that kit then.....
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Not without a decent cam & some head work, & then it would be peaky as all hell.
Stay focused, mate. A single carb was the original plan here.
OldIronSpine wrote:
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

True, true. Maybe I should just do a 34 pict stock for now.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
I'm currently putting my 1600 dp engine back together and I don't want to reuse the 36 pic carb and egr manifold. I don't want to spend more than 200 and have seen some Holley carbs on eBay. Are those carbs any good? If not what would be a good with that budget other than the 34 pict carb and single heat riser manifold.

If you're not in love with your manifold, you could get a replacement one from AirCooled.net with out the EGR port;
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Intake-Manifold-Dual-Port-Center-Section-p/113-129-701unv.htm

You could also have your 34-PICT completely refurbished by Volkzbitz, and it will look and perform like brand new;
https://www.volkzbitz.com

Of course you need to pair your stock 34-PICT carb with its correct vacuum advance distributor to get the best performance out of it. Which is an original German Bosch 034. There are also fine people on here who can rebuild your 034 (if you still have it) to like new conditions as well.

The pic below is my engine with all three of the above on it. It runs very smooth from idle to WOT.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Is this the right distributor? Because that's the one I have.

[/img]
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

I can't make out all the numbers on the side of it, but it should read 0 231 170 034. Then of course you have to ensure it's operating correctly. Diaphragm in the can not torn, advance mechanism inside not all gummed up, etc...
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

The numbers on my distributor don't match up, would it still work?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

That's not the SVDA distributor that came with the 34-PICT. Those are numbers from a DVDA distributor. Check this thread for info about the mismatch https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...31+176+028

The distributor gurus like Glen or WCFVW69 might want to weigh in on this, but from what I understand your distributor can be made into an SVDA, but I'm not sure if the advance curves are the same?

Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

hmmm just checked my carb to make sure its a 36 pict-3 and it is. So this distributor carb combo doesn't work?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
hmmm just checked my carb to make sure its a 36 pict-3 and it is. So this distributor carb combo doesn't work?

The Solex 34Pict-3 carb was used across many 1600cc engines over many years. Some of these were matched to SVDA style distributors, others were matched to DVDA style distributors. The best combination is matching the correct carb to the correct distributor . The table from that thread was put together by glutamodo and is below:

To determine if you have the correct combo, look for the base flange number stamped on your carb and find it in the table. This will tell you the year and transmission it was matched with. Next to it will be the correct distributor model# that came with that carb.

Can you mix carbs with distributors? Maybe. In general, the DVDA matched carbs have a larger hole in the throttle plate. The SVDA matched carbs have slightly smaller holes. There are also jet size differences as indicated in the chart. Distributors for autosticks will have a different advance curve than manual transmission cars.
So if, based on your base flange#, your carb originally was matched to a DVDA distributor and the DVDA distributor you have is for the same transmission type (auto or manual) you have a better chance of getting it to work.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

The carburator that came with the engine is a Bocar 34 pict-3, then something in Spanish that I assume means "made in Mexico". I couldn't find any other information on the carb. Should there be numbers on it from that list above?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley carbs? Reply with quote

That chart refers to carburetors made by DVG for the VW production line. The Bocar carb you are talking about is NOT a VW production line carburetor, but rather probably a clone of the 410-1 SVDA listing.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: