Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me '65 I have questions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was a VW mechanic in my younger days, but I've been out of the game for 40 years. I'm retired now and have time, so a few weeks ago I bought this poor pimped-out '65.

The first job was to un-pimp the suspension and get it raised back to the correct height and get some decent wheels and tires. The front seems to ride a little high for some reason. Wheels are some 5.5" spares from my 356s. I have since rebuilt the front suspension, and new shocks all around.

The car has an H block engine. I need the rear engine sheet metal piece (goes over the muffler) and I need to know if a '65 rear engine sheet metal piece will fit on this wider engine. If so, where can I find one?

Is there a source for the internal seal on the door handles? I need the rectangular seals that fit around the button itself.

Thanks for any help.
Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Good morning Patrick,
Welcome to the Samba.
For the tin you are missing, is it the piece called the Breast Tin (Plate)? Usually a rule of thumb is to have the cutouts for the heater tubes on the earlier cars. I’m not a type 1 expert, so do some research.
Hope you gain knowledge and peace of mind here along with a bunch of other VW nuts.

- Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Cool car... looks like it’s in good hands. Go to West Coast Metric for your seals... they have everything and it’s top quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

West Coast Metric shows an O-ring, part number 111-837-227A
Is this part really just a round O-ring?
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
West Coast Metric shows an O-ring, part number 111-837-227A
Is this part really just a round O-ring?

Nice '65, looks great!

x2 on the WCM rubber. Here are the correct seals for those handles.

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22964117-111-209.html
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

OK Thanks. Looks like the seals are just O-rings.
I appreciate the help.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837211A I have found that some of the doodads and trinkets can be found at Wolfsburg West.. I've never gotten bad stuff.. but I do have to flinch at the prices.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Always happy to see another '65 owner join the Samba...especially a former VW mechanic! Welcome!

I also have 356 wheels (and brakes) on my '65. The original owner had these installed by the dealer at time of purchase. The chrome look isn't for everyone, but in my case they have a lot of meaning since they've been on there since new. I could probably sell them to one of those rich Porsche boys for a bunch of $$$.

Here's a pic.....

wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Nice car! Dealer installed Porsche B brakes, wow. I have some A and B brakes in the attic somewhere. I'm not sure it would be worth my time to rebuild them and install them. I'm not going anywhere fast in the VW.

Still need and answer on the engine tin.

And ... easy on the "rich Porsche guys." Some of us are just car guys. The VW will be sharing my shop with these. I've had the Speedster and the A coupe since 1973.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Nice car! Dealer installed Porsche B brakes, wow. I have some A and B brakes in the attic somewhere. I'm not sure it would be worth my time to rebuild them and install them. I'm not going anywhere fast in the VW.

Still need and answer on the engine tin.

And ... easy on the "rich Porsche guys." Some of us are just car guys. The VW will be sharing my shop with these. I've had the Speedster and the A coupe since 1973.

Nice....I'll take the one in the middle!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Wow- those are awesome.

Hey- the door handle seal(s) that are visible from the outside of the car are NOT just an O ring.

They should look like a stamped plastic rectangle, and a stamped plastic triangle.

You can get them new from WCM and WW as stated.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

The exterior seals are no problem. They are available from many suppliers. I'm looking for the seal that goes around the plunger (button) that you push to open the door. It keeps water from leaking in around the plunger. (You have to take the door handle apart to see it.) Mine were dried up and crumbled when I took it apart so I don't really know what it looked like. WCM shows them, and it looks like a round O-ring.

Still need to know if the big rear sheet metal piece that goes across the engine above the muffler from a '65 40hp engine will fit a '67 engine. It looks like this.

The piece I have has too many holes in it. I think it's from a '68.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

That piece is called a breastplate. They can be purchased new, but the fit is questionable. Look for one from a 66. It would be slightly wider to fit a 1300 engine and only have the two holes for the fresh air tubes and one for the preheat for the oil bath air filter.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

As you probably know, that rear large tin changed almost every year during the '60s, as changes were made to the carb pre-heat air hoses and the heater fresh air hoses. It may be possible to weld up larger holes and re-drill for what you need, or look for the right one in the classifieds.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
That piece is called a breastplate. They can be purchased new, but the fit is questionable. Look for one from a 66. It would be slightly wider to fit a 1300 engine and only have the two holes for the fresh air tubes and one for the preheat for the oil bath air filter.

Makes sense. Thank you!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Pay attention to the pulley tin relative to the breastplate you order. There are a couple different styles and the cut out for the pulley tin can be different. The difference is really obvious. Also, you can get breast plates with various cutouts. I would suggest pulling any unused openings, such for a preheat tube if you are not using one.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

More questions.

I've been reading through the threads here and learning a lot. Use original parts if at all possible - check.
My car has an alternator and had a sketchy looking fuel pump with no pivot pin. I replaced it with a alternator fuel pump and short actuator rod from WW. Now I'm reading that new fuel pumps put out too much pressure. Do ALL of them overpressure or is there a source for a pump that works properly right out of the box?
Thank you for any help.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Well, no response to the fuel pump question.
I'll try another question.
I'm trying to restore the car as to something resembling its original condition. It has trim code L87 and I'm looking up the appropriate colors for various things. The problem I'm encountering is I don't know what the manual is referring to sometimes. For example, what are the "guide rails," "cable channels," and "finger plates" they reference? Do they perhaps have something to do with the sunroof?

Also, the manual references a "kick board" that is supposed to be anthracite. What is the "kick board?"
I'm making great progress with the '65, and drive it almost every day.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

The Brosals I have been using are correct pressure. No matter what pump you install, you NEED to measure the pressure.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '65 I have questions Reply with quote

Kick board is probably the two vinyl-covered "boards" under the front of the rear seat which close off the space between the floorpan and the seat cushion support rail. The outlets for the rear heat go through them.

Does your parts manual have the matching illustrations that correspond to the part descriptions?

As to the engine breast plate, I agree that there were many variations. A 40hp will fit into the space but not quite fit properly. You correctly identified that the H case engine is wider than a 40hp; this is due to the 10mm wider engine (69mm vs 64mm stroke on each side of the engine). In a pinch you could make some simple spacers out of rain gutter aluminum or roof flashing, rivet them onto the 40hp tin and paint it all semi-gloss black. But original German tin for H-era engines (or a '66 F series as suggested above) are so plentiful in the classifieds. Seeing how nice your Porsches are, I imagine you'd want to have a correctly fitting and appearing part rather than a kluged adaptation.

Per andk's comments, you can make a good-appearing patch piece to close any large gap to the crank pulley tin. In my experience, the gaps are on the left side of the pulley tin to the breast plate. Make a pattern out of a paper bag, then cut out of flashing, drill holes to mate up with the other existing attachment holes, and paint the patch black. Then use a straight-slotted tin screw (not a Phillips head) to match the other tin screws to hold the patch in place. It's barely noticeable.

If you post up a photo of the engine compartment (turn your camera flash on to illuminate the dark sections) we'll gladly point out incorrect parts. 30 years ago I built a 1600 single-port engine to resemble a stale-air 40 hp to install in a '56 Beetle. So we could easily point out details to make your H case engine look like it belongs in the '65.

As to the fuel pump output pressure, best to check it with a mechanical gauge plumbed in line with the hose going to the carb.

Not tempted to install a set of dual single-throat carbs like you'd have in the early Porsches? Smile

Is your 356A a '56 or early '57 with the beehive taillights? Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: