Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Battery Charger - Recommendations
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery Charger - Recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks fxr. It does get cold here in winter, though not as cold as a lot of Canada, or the US for that matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery Charger - Recommendations Reply with quote

harvgwen wrote:
I’m reviving a 2 year old thread. What I’m hoping to achieve is a power supply that will power the van while I’m connected to shore power at a campsite as well as act like a smart charger to leave connected when we’re not using the van. Is there a stand alone unit that does both? I have dual lead/acid batteries connected with a Blue Sea ACR. Thanks.

this is what ive got, doing exactly what youre after

dobryan wrote:
Check out the Iota series of power
supply chargers.

with a very similar setup as yours - bluesea ACR combining two same chemistry regular-ole batteries.

the iota is connected only to the aux batt, and when the ACR sees voltage come up, it combines.
theres no need for a multi output charger when using that system. which also massively simplifies your wiring not having to run the larger charger leads all over the place.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery Charger - Recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I ordered one that should work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Battery Charger - Recommendations Reply with quote

ACR and a dual output charger do not go together,
the ACR will join them together when one battery is more then the other, defeating the purpose of twin outputs.

this is my favorite relay, you can use the third pole in creative ways to wire in dual charger, - I can provide schematics if asked.
properly rated for continuous duty, and robust.
I have installed plenty
https://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Automotive-Starter-Current-Contactor/dp/B08BHNYQYY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: