Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and rebuild Reply with quote

Hi folks, I am about to drop my engine to do some work and evaluate what shape it is in as best I can with an external inspection. The engine starts right up and is pretty peppy. The PO says it is a 1500. Most of the original parts are on it. Here are the issues I am having:
    - Engine seems to be noisier than most, with an extra “clack” to my ear. Videos below, opinions please
    - Engine bay seals are original and shot
    - One or both heater boxes need repair where the ends slip into the muffler (this and old engine bay seals are contributing to exhaust smell in cabin)
    - Backfire in exhaust when RPMs drop while in 3rd and 4th. Happens with newly refurbished, original style, vacuum advance distributor. Does not backfire with the 009 centrifugal advance distributor the vw originally came with
    - Has no thermostat nor rod (but the flaps, levers and spring are there, yay!)
    - Firewall tarboard coming loose

Link

So my priority punch list is:
    - fix heater boxes
    - Install new seals and tarboard
    - Install NOS thermostat and rod
    - get carb restored (not happy with recent “rebuild”)
    - clean up tins
    - torque heads to spec if neccessary
    - remove fuel filter from engine compartment (mechanic installed it, wtf? already one under gas tank)
    - check for blow-by, pinpoint oil leaks

With the engine otherwise running well, I am hoping to evaluate anything else that can wait so I can get the car back on the road asap.

Here is the engine as it looked when I bought the car last September
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is today as I start removing pieces for a better view
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Lotus White Beetle Sedan - current
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Carb looks to be an original (30PICT1) (has original 67 air breather bracket on it) and is probably stamped 105-1 on base of carb (indicating a "power circuit" carb - that's what you want). Send it to Tim at Volkzbitz and you won't be disappointed.
Also noticed you have the correct 67 generator with the blade connectors instead of studs.
Good Luck
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

before you take it out get a compression tester and check your compression or better use a leak down tester
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Exhaust leaks can sound deceptively like a mechanical noise, and also cause backfire on deceleration because it let's fresh air into the muffler.

I would reseal the leaks first, then go from there.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Engine sounds like a normal washing machine. It does sound like you have an exhaust leak on the side of the car you put the camera to.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Looks like generator should be clocked ccw 90 degrees . Check bently to be sure.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
before you take it out get a compression tester and check your compression or better use a leak down tester

This.

Also check oil pressure with a gauge before pulling it.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! It would be great if fixing the exhaust leaks eliminates the backfire and clacking. I have hope now.

The carb is correct for '67 and I have been in touch with Tim at Volkbitz on a restore. Appreciate the confirmation.

Did not do a leak down or compression yet because the engine runs so strong. Will do so when I put the engine back together. Checked Bentley, gen is good.

Down to the heater box bolts. Very stubborn near #3. Soaking in WD40. Hoping not to break a stud. Fingers crossed.

Will provide pics of the progress soon.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

a.marscapone wrote:
Did not do a leak down or compression yet because the engine runs so strong. Will do so when I put the engine back together.

Worth doing now for comparison.

a.marscapone wrote:
Down to the heater box bolts. Very stubborn near #3. Soaking in WD40. Hoping not to break a stud. Fingers crossed.

Use something better than WD-40. PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench 50/50 Acetone/ATF... and torch heat of you have it. When you put it together, use smaller copper/brass nuts and anti-seize.

And of course check endplay when it's out.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil, will upgrade the penetrant, nuts. You're not the first to advise this, but you will be the last... The rest on my Ace Hardware list or to-do lists.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

a.marscapone wrote:

Think you mean the nuts on the studs on the front side of the head? If so you can just use a hammer and chisel to cut thru most of the side of the nut, which will swell open the nut to turn off by hand, or invest in a nut splitter.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nut+splitter&t=canonical&ia=products

Use a quality anti-seize on all exhaust and muffler fasteners to help prevent stuck fasteners. Use copper Toyota exhaust nuts to doubly make sure to keep corrosion from being a problem in the future.

You need:

1. Metal fuel line from front of the front engine tin to the pump.

2. Stock rubber grommet for the above to keep the hole edge of the front tin from cutting thru the metal fuel line.

3. Spark plug cable clips that snap in the three holes in the rear of the fan shroud. Helps the spark plug cables from getting rubbed or burnt thru, and close up the three holes in the fan shroud so you are not loosing cooling air out of them.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Had not heard of a nut splitter, thank you. Yes, will be sure to plug up all holes in the fan shroud. Looking for spark plug wire holders, also need some kind of grommet for where the accelerator cable tube exits through the front of the fan shroud. I took out the metal fuel line and grommet early on. Wanted to be sure it was clear of the engine droppage Wink
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

a.marscapone wrote:

Heat is your friend, invest in a MAPP Torch at Lowes you won't ever regret it. Heat up the stubborn nuts to dull red, they will come off easily, or in the case of exhaust studs, wind them out of the case for you to work on away from the engine.

Same applies for tin ware screws, good blast of heat and out they come......
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Adjust the engine valves if you haven't already and do the compression test before taking it apart.

Your valves sounds a bit loud to me like they are out of adjustment. What's the label on the side of the distributor say? You say you have a backfire w/the SVA but not the 009? To me that would indicate you're running lean on the mixture adjustment. My bone stock 67 with all original, restored parts had a mild backfire and re-adjusting the mixture screw to a bit richer cured the backfire.

You may also consider ditching that fuel pump and putting a correct, restored Pierburg Dome top fuel pump back on. They have "C" clips on them which keeps the rocker pin from backing out. They are just superior fuel pumps to any of these aftermarket pumps sold today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Sounds like a crank speed knock!
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Excessive cam gear backlash maybe. It doesn't sound like a bearing knock, but something isn't happy in the bottom end. Maybe try taking the generator belt off and run it for a few seconds in case it's a generator bearing or something in the fan housing.

Can you feel endplay on the crank pulley?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Yeah, I am not sure, Video it smooths out too easy to be something real bad. I would just tighten all the valves up with zero or even 1/4 of a turn tighter than zero and see if it clears it up before pulling the engine: Valves can make noise if there is looseness with how the cam and cam bearings are held in a case. It could be that the case needs re-torquing paying close attention to the proper torque sequence of torquing the 13mm nuts. It's a good idea to tighten the case down with the six big nuts first then just lightly tighten the 13mm nuts at the cam ends say to 7 ft/lbs then back off the 6 big nuts then torque the 13mm nuts at the cam ends 14 ft/lbs then torque the big nuts 18 ft/lbs then all the 13mm nuts. This will avoid stripping out the case at the long 8mm stud above the cam which could cause this if it's not holding it's torque of only about 14 ft/lbs.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Adjust the engine valves if you haven't already and do the compression test before taking it apart.

Your valves sounds a bit loud to me like they are out of adjustment. What's the label on the side of the distributor say? You say you have a backfire w/the SVA but not the 009? To me that would indicate you're running lean on the mixture adjustment. My bone stock 67 with all original, restored parts had a mild backfire and re-adjusting the mixture screw to a bit richer cured the backfire.

You may also consider ditching that fuel pump and putting a correct, restored Pierburg Dome top fuel pump back on. They have "C" clips on them which keeps the rocker pin from backing out. They are just superior fuel pumps to any of these aftermarket pumps sold today.

An original fuel pump is on the list. The current one does have a "c" clip properly installed and the pressure is within spec. But yeah, keeping an eye on several for sale.

When I first purchased the car the #3 and #4 valves were very tight. I adjusted all of them but will check again before I take the rockers out to re-torque the heads.

The label on the dizzy is my address, I had sent it out for repair. If backfire continues after I fix the exhaust leak(s), I will adjust for a richer mixture.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Sounds like a crank speed knock!
Shocked

Danwvw wrote:
Yeah, I am not sure, Video it smooths out too easy to be something real bad. I would just tighten all the valves up with zero or even 1/4 of a turn tighter than zero and see if it clears it up before pulling the engine: Valves can make noise if there is looseness with how the cam and cam bearings are held in a case. It could be that the case needs re-torquing paying close attention to the proper torque sequence of torquing the 13mm nuts. It's a good idea to tighten the case down with the six big nuts first then just lightly tighten the 13mm nuts at the cam ends say to 7 ft/lbs then back off the 6 big nuts then torque the 13mm nuts at the cam ends 14 ft/lbs then torque the big nuts 18 ft/lbs then all the 13mm nuts. This will avoid stripping out the case at the long 8mm stud above the cam which could cause this if it's not holding it's torque of only about 14 ft/lbs.!
Thanks for the followup and advice. Had to look up "crank speed knock" but still not sure exactly what it means. Hard to miss the gist with "crank" and "knock" used in the same sentence. The engine is out. Will re-torque case as well as the heads. Will try the tighter valves if the mystery noise continues.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 1500cc engine removal, evaluation and repair Reply with quote

scdevon wrote:
Excessive cam gear backlash maybe. It doesn't sound like a bearing knock, but something isn't happy in the bottom end. Maybe try taking the generator belt off and run it for a few seconds in case it's a generator bearing or something in the fan housing.

Can you feel endplay on the crank pulley?

No endplay when trying to move the pully. Nothing caught in fan, generator spins freely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: