Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seal question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Seal question Reply with quote

bought a used side vent window complete with seal, installed it and there is a gap between seal and body- use silicon to fill it, or buy new
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

rear vent, yes? they are notorious for being a pain in the ass to install. maybe just try again, because the new seal you buy could end up the same. How about a picture?
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

its the drivers side 'smokers' vent seal
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

I know this is rhetorical, but is the seal seated around the vent window frame properly before installing it to the bus? Did you remove the bigger window behind it or did you just remove and replace the vent window? If so, did you bend the tabs back into place that holds the front? How is the condition of the seal of the larger window that butts up to the vent window? When you installed it, did you use a lubricant such as soapy water to ensure it slides all the way in?

I swear VW put the rocket scientists and doctors in charge of designing this stupid window and made it way too complicated!

I replaced a windshield seal on my daughter's '73 F100 and had a gap in one spot. I used a little electrical insulation putty. Its remains flexible, waterproof, and best of all... easy to clean up since it doesn't really cure.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

in your first pic, where it is not against the body, I see a little flap of rubber hanging out. is this supposed to be tucked in, or possibly lipped around the window flange?
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

the larger window had to come out to install the vent window, it went in without trauma, so- the 2nd question, what type of putty, caulk, etc
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

I think you need to retry and tuck this in
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

you are looking at the actual gap nothing to tuck i'm going with black silicone er you were right but i also had other issues

Last edited by blatzer on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

Before you get things all goopy pull the window and make sure the seal is seated properly in the vent frame, looks like it's not from here.
Or the bus it came from had a giant rust tumor growing there and it's petrified into the pushed out shape, some heat gun work may cure that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

he does not want to hear anything except what to shoot in there. Just give it another go. Don't you get a good feeling from a job done well/right?
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
the larger window had to come out to install the vent window

If you lift up on the vent rubber in front from the inside you'll see two metal tabs. If you bend them strait with a screwdriver, then the front part of the window can come out, then slide the back of the vent frame off of the larger window. The large window doesn't have to come out. I would remove it and make sure the seal is right, and the frame is good and free of rusty chunks. Use a lubricant installing it. I think those vent window seals (original) are the best seals the bus has compared to all of the other seals vw made.

Or throw liquid nails or silicone in there. Mad I wouldnt.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

Ok, I got my vent window in this morning and had the same gap. I put the bottom in, then the top. I then put the top in, then the bottom and had the gap on the bottom. I pulled it out and realized the METAL tab on the vent window frame needs to be on the INSIDE of the bus. You have two openings on the bus window body frame. Push the metal tabs from the vent frame through the openings on the bus, then slide the window into place about an inch while working the seal. Hopefully these pictures shows the tab the needs to go on the inside. Good luck.

I stand corrected.... looks like removing the bigger glass is helpful to get the tabs in the openings. I guess my old window was so rusty there wasnt much for tabs left.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

is that seal is old and dry? shrunk?
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal question Reply with quote

thanks mispeld- the tab was the issue, when vw notches a lip, pay attention- the vent window is installed about an inch to the back so the top window tab can get on the inside, as the window is pushed forward to seal the leading edge dont miss the two tabs top and bottom as well!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: