Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pulling final gear from autostick
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

try to take this final gear out from autostick 001 gearbox case with no luck
any advice?
thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

remove at least 2 diff bolts
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

lelef wrote:
remove at least 2 diff bolts

I tried this afternoon but I wasn't sure so decided to ask the forums first before I mess up with the torque value etc
thanks I'll try it again..have you done this yourself?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

remove the entire gear carrier....(the pinion is sticking out there)

Hopefully you have measured and recorded the position of those diff bearing retainers.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
remove the entire gear carrier....(the pinion is sticking out there)

Hopefully you have measured and recorded the position of those diff bearing retainers.

yes made special mark of two side bearing retainers and count rotation when i open it ..so i have to take out the pinion?to bad I dont have special tool to open
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

yep, there is an expensive special tool for that. Sometimes VW clubs or organizations have tools they can loan out. I've seen long heavy punches ground in a certain way catch the teeth of that nut and whim wham the shit out of it till it's loosened......but you didn't hear that from me.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
yep, there is an expensive special tool for that. Sometimes VW clubs or organizations have tools they can loan out. I've seen long heavy punches ground in a certain way catch the teeth of that nut and whim wham the shit out of it till it's loosened......but you didn't hear that from me.

even with the right tool I still don't know how to loosens that retainer with the final gear still in place?

pic from vw t2 bus manual but I' m sure it use same pinion retainer tool
https://weddleindustries.com/product/1005786
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

I've rebuilt a lot of transmission not an autostick (conceptually nothing changes)
as you can see the special tool can be used only if the diff is removed, you can also use a key sector

which is an intermediate solution between a punch with a hammer and the special tool.
but to remove the pinion/shaft you have to disassemble all the transalex

in the Bug and Bus transalex you can remove the diff without problems
The autostick seems to be a little more complex
remove the input shaft could also help
to be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the tightening torque of those bolts
I would worry more about marking the position of the crown on the differential if you remove all the bolts
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

lelef wrote:
I've rebuilt a lot of transmission not an autostick (conceptually nothing changes)
as you can see the special tool can be used only if the diff is removed, you can also use a key sector

which is an intermediate solution between a punch with a hammer and the special tool.
but to remove the pinion/shaft you have to disassemble all the transalex

in the Bug and Bus transalex you can remove the diff without problems
The autostick seems to be a little more complex
remove the input shaft could also help
to be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the tightening torque of those bolts
I would worry more about marking the position of the crown on the differential if you remove all the bolts

my logic says the final gear has to go out first.i took off 3 bolts from the crown still no luck. don't want to take all bolts as it wont solve the problem.
I guess I'm stuck
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

Link

from 10:00 should be usefull for you ,it's a 002 but it's very similar
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

The special tool you need is not the VW381/14.....it is similar to the spanner pictured, but much larger and has a place for a 1/2 breaker bar.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

It's a pain, and that thing is quite brittle, not something you would want to take off with a punch. And be weary, the stock one has a split, the replacements do not, so loctite. And the stock torque sequence is a bit scary, you're supposed to take it to a high value, then come back down, iirc.

I don't see how you could do this without the special tool, and it would be hard to make.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

going off memory here....

doesn't the splined axle use a snap ring and just presses into the diff? as in, doesn't the splined portion pop out of the diff?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling final gear from autostick Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
going off memory here....

doesn't the splined axle use a snap ring and just presses into the diff? as in, doesn't the splined portion pop out of the diff?

It's all one machined piece. There are circlips that hold the C/V joint flanges to the splines on the diff, but that's it.

I actually liked the autostick trans but most people thought they were shit. You could putt around town, leave it in 2nd and never even do any shifting or use the servo clutch. I had a nice '69 bug I shouldn't have sold.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: