Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A headliner catastrophe
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

I was humming along the interstate yesterday with the windows open, being very excited about my engine’s newfound efficiency after intake manifold replacements (from 380deg on cylinder 3 at 60mph to 275deg) when suddenly a HUGE gust of wind blew in. I don’t have a rear window in the vehicle (for reasons that will quickly become apparent, don’t do this if you have your windows open), so a huge volume of air went into the bus, got up under my mint-condition OG headliner, and very unceremoniously yanked it down with a BANG!

Aside from going through the stages of grief, I was quite terrified (and couldn’t see very well). I managed to very carefully remove the glue around the windowsills and disconnect the headliner without too much damage. I put the rods back into their channels and got everything back to the way it was.

Now I need to glue the headliner back into the windowsills, and patch a couple of places that ripped when I was removing it (ugh).

So two questions: 1. What is some good glue to use to hold the edges of the headliner in place in the windowsills, and 2. What is the best way to patch some small tears in the headliner?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

Holy moly, that would be startling for sure!

I'm interested in the info for patching, because the OG headliner in my '73 has some tears. That said, I'm afraid that over the years it has shrunk a little and is brittle so I don't have a lot of hope for patching mine.

What is your Bus model? Sounds like a passenger bus with cloth headliner?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

It’s the passenger model with the vinyl headliner. I really want to keep it in good condition because it’s so rare to have them doing as well as mine is.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

I hate to tell you, but you're not gluing anything and expecting it to look good is just not going to happen.

the headliner is glued then TUCKED under the windows where it's glued onto the pinch weld. only way to do it proper is to remove the windows. I am willing to bet it's torn to shit where it went under the seals. it is usually brittle where it gets tucked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

Fortunately, I have new seals in hand and have removed the windows already. The headliner under the windows was actually salvagable for the most part! I picked up some shoe glue and clamps and I’m going for it. Will report results later.
Shaggysix9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

Nooooo......
Go to an upholstery shop and buy a little cup of weldwood contact adhesive... brush a little on each surface...
Let dry a bit and put the headliner back in place...
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

Shaggysix9 wrote:
Nooooo......
Go to an upholstery shop and buy a little cup of weldwood contact adhesive... brush a little on each surface...

This ^.
As you now know, OP, there are *forces* acting upon the headliner.
Make sure your headliner bows are exactly vertical and seated in their "gutters" with their little plastic socks on the ends:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Use good Weldwood Contact Cement.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A headliner catastrophe Reply with quote

Shaggysix9 wrote:
Nooooo......

You can get it at home depot, Lowes, Walmart...virtually any hardware store. A 3oz bottle is about $4.

But ...its old and brittle. You should be able to get a nearly factory headliner from Acme. They have headliners, cots for Westys...all kinds of stuff. They have gone through the trouble to source factory patterns for most vehciles
http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/westfaliatent.html

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: