Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on Westy Camper for sale.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Woody2071 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243022

Here is one I am interested in.

Some SVX 6 cylinder engine conversions have gotten through CARB requirements but an out of state van with one will not pass today. If it already had a sticker with serial number from CA, then an SVX is a good engine. The engine is a little too powerful and torquey to just drive it like you stole it. And you have to keep the weight off the van or you will ruin the transmission. Same damage often occurs with TDI diesel engine.

Any engine conversion that isn't already smogged and stickered in CAL is a pipe dream.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Woody2071 wrote:
I keep expanding the distance and figure I can start my trip where ever I end up buying one. I was thinking of starting in CA, but anywhere will likely be just as good.

Not a bad plan for your situation.

Just take your time and it'll come around. We had no time in buying ours and it's been a bit painful to both backside and billfold ever since.

The best deals seem to be the ones with a huge list of recent upgrades/refurbs that the seller will take a huge bath on.

Happy shopping, more fun than buying most anything else.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Will ya take $25,9?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2249540

Just buy this and be done with all the hand-wringing and the "but what if-ing?"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Just a quick thought, but have you considered keeping an eye on Vanagons/Westies on the used sites up in Western Canada? I'm on Vancouver Island and Westies are a dime a dozen up here, I see at least 5 or 6 a day, and some lunatic on Sunshine Coast (just north of here) listed a running 1990 Westy on CL for $3k last month (although it went within hours). But the strong U.S. dollar means you're getting a 30% discount buying in Cdn $, might be worth the hassle of importing?

Hope that gives a few more options - good luck in the hunt!
Woody2071
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
California priced. Best place to sell one, meaning also the worst place to buy one in general.

Am I the only one to notice there's no reference to miles on this van?

Top-dollar vans don't come with new paint, or at least not in non-stock colors, that devalues it a lot. The upholstery isn't stock fabric, nor even stock-style padding, more devaluation. It even looks uncomfortable to sleep on to me.

I guess overall it reads like a used-car salesman talking. And not a trustworthy one. Engine has 600 on it, was tuned up 600 ago, and runs so darned well it may have been tuned up since?

The seller clearly has no personal experience with this van. Vibe is all wrong.

My advice is "Keep Looking" -- and, Welcome to our Mad, Mad World.

I keep expanding the distance and figure I can start my trip where ever I end up buying one. I was thinking of starting in CA, but anywhere will likely be just as good.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Disregard

Last edited by elizer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Woody2071
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243022

Here is one I am interested in. IMHO a little over priced, but what do I know? I have been studying RV's for a little while, but not camper vans until recently. Only been in a westy twice and really liked the layout and driving it was fun. Well except for merging onto a freeway.

I do like the winch and tires. I tend to like to get some distance from other people at times. Those at least give me some peace of mind if I get too adventurous I can get unstuck without hoping someone is nearby.

Being stored in the desert is also something I find appealing. I suspect there will be little to no rust.

I really do not need everything to be stock. More interested in a van that is at least reliable enough I am not worried it will breakdown on every trip. Minor problems somewhat frequently are okay. I have dealt with older boats out at sea and had to find ways to get stuff working, or do without. I pretty much expect with 20+ year old vans I will be dealing with issues. Some minor and some major.

I am concerned about the engine and tranny. I do not know enough if they are okay for the vehicle. I do know some people who thought more HP and torque were better only to learn some parts on the vehicle were unable to handle it.

Thanks again for everyone replying. I find it really helpful since I am somewhat ignorant about things I will need to look for and consider when it comes to this. The camping stuff like heaters, battery banks, water pumps, etc I am pretty good with. Since it is basically the same on a boat.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Be willing to fly and take a look you could find a better westy for cheaper. California commands premium prices while you may find cheaper farther west.

...Like Australia? Smile

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

California priced. Best place to sell one, meaning also the worst place to buy one in general.

Am I the only one to notice there's no reference to miles on this van?

Top-dollar vans don't come with new paint, or at least not in non-stock colors, that devalues it a lot. The upholstery isn't stock fabric, nor even stock-style padding, more devaluation. It even looks uncomfortable to sleep on to me.

I guess overall it reads like a used-car salesman talking. And not a trustworthy one. Engine has 600 on it, was tuned up 600 ago, and runs so darned well it may have been tuned up since?

The seller clearly has no personal experience with this van. Vibe is all wrong.

My advice is "Keep Looking" -- and, Welcome to our Mad, Mad World.

— Colin Chapman
Woody2071
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Of the ones in So Cal, this looks like a good bet. It is a later model which comes stock with a 2.1 engine and other upgrades and it costs less than that 84. A stock van in well maintained condition is a plus when you take it to the shop to fix something.
And the way the ad is worded gives me a better feeling about the condition.

And here is one listed on Craigslist that seems comparable to the above. Nice original van with recent paint and in good mechanical condition. Same price roughly as the one above but a little farther away. It is also a late model and even lower miles. Not as many details on mechanical condition with this one, but to me sure makes that '84 look overpriced.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/8242587.jpg

The first one I already sent the seller a message. I just have not heard back yet. I'll try again to be sure. Thanks for pointing both these out.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Id rather buy a well worn van that someone has sorted out and driven like mad. And you can get one of those for 2/3 the cost of that van. Boy the flipper isnt gonna like this thread.

Pretty does not equate reliable. There are a few things that stick out here and the gents above have hit on most of them. Personally i like reliablilty and practicality over looks. Id like to know how mnay miles have been put on the van in the last two years. All these vans w new motors or recent rebuilds scream “ i had problems, now im selling”.
Hang around and make it known your looking. Something will pop in and tickle yoyr fancy. Leave that one for someone who needs a “pretty” van. Buy a van you can drive and not worry about scratching the shiny paint on.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The 1.9TD (AAZ) was never offered stock in a Vanagon and the TDI's are more desirable.

I would also prefer that one over the one posted by the OP.

\
Ahh I meant the 1.6td. I must have had a bite of dyslexia. I appreciate the correction.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Of the ones in So Cal, this looks like a good bet. It is a later model which comes stock with a 2.1 engine and other upgrades and it costs less than that 84. A stock van in well maintained condition is a plus when you take it to the shop to fix something. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2249273

And the way the ad is worded gives me a better feeling about the condition.

And here is one listed on Craigslist that seems comparable to the above. Nice original van with recent paint and in good mechanical condition. Same price roughly as the one above but a little farther away. It is also a late model and even lower miles. Not as many details on mechanical condition with this one, but to me sure makes that '84 look overpriced.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/8242587.jpg

Last edited by davevickery on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

The 1.9TD (AAZ) was never offered stock in a Vanagon and the TDI's are more desirable.

I would also prefer that one over the one posted by the OP.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-barbara-1982-vanagon-westfalia/6839245270.html

The 1.9td in that westy is considered to be the most desirable of the oem diesels offered in the westy. I think its still a little overpriced. The coating on the lower part could be hiding stuff and usually is frowned upon. But he does have some desirable upgrades. RMW bumpers/swingarm and fridge. Maybe more info on what he has done could warrant the price. I would prefer that one over the original one you posted.

Let me also add that you shouldn't limit yourself to driving distance. Be willing to fly and take a look you could find a better westy for cheaper. California commands premium prices while you may find cheaper farther west. Also never be worried about walking away even if you fly to see one.
Woody2071
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I don't like it. Could be just my impression. Sorry to be negative.

It screams "FLIPPER" to me.

The 2.1 engine swap for california might actually present a problem. I don't know. Most likely they would not notice it was changed, maybe it doesn't matter if they do notice, but I certainly wouldn't mention it to a smog station.

If you want suggestions on other candidates, let us know.

One reason I posted here is I suspect this guy just flips them. Which I assume means he focuses a lot on cosmetics and doing just enough to have it run well during a test drive. He made a video for another one about 3 months ago.
Woody2071
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Thank you everyone.

I am not in a real hurry.

I also suspected this guy mainly focuses on cosmetics and just worried it can run during a test drive. He had another for sale not too long ago. So he likely puts as little money and effort into them as possible.

I found another one in the same area so will be looking at that one to.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-barbara-1982-vanagon-westfalia/6839245270.html

Anyone with any experience with the diesel engines in these things? I'll test drive it, but suspect climbing hills will be slow and painful. Good thing the area has a lot of steep hills to choose from.

Once again thank you for all the replies. Nice to see a very active community here.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Many good points already. I'd never spend 25K on a van with a brown interior (I don't like the color and the plastic in my '85 began to crumble which hasn't happened to my '90). That van also leaves a bit to be desired for that price.

If you have $25K to spend you'll came across other vans (some with engine conversions) that are more turn-key than that one. Test drive a few, try to test drive a Subie or a 1.8 or a Bostig to compare. The right van will come along.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Westy Camper for sale. Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.

If you have 25k to spend you should not jump in yet. That is a realistic price to get a well sorted stock westy. We can help. Spend some time with us and we’ll help you. Do not jump on that bus just because I hate the hype of the add.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: