Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying your Kid's Way into College.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Used to be you had to buy or build a Building to get your Kid into College.
I never would have thought about buying off the Badminton Coach !
But I was thinking about how my Dad would react to this headline.
My Dad was a Stand Up Guy, he paid for all 5 of us kids to go to College.
At one Point he was paying for Three Kids in College at ONCE!
My Dad wouldn't have gone for it, because he was cheap Shocked
Just Kidding Dad.
But Dad's question would have been:
If you can't get into the school honestly,
what makes you think you'll have the grades to stay in school honestly.
OR DO YOU INTEND TO CHEAT YOUR WHOLE LIFE !
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I think it happens more than people think. sad...as it takes away from the people that work hard to get in.

and fwiw....I don't know that paying huge $$ for an education is money well spent anymore. depending on what you want to do, community college seems to be just as good. my brother and cousin took that road...both make over 100k/yr and have no debt.

on the flip side I suppose they are "elite" colleges for "elite" people. I guess they have the means to do it. it kind of shows how stupid all parties involved really are. I think if I had that kind of $$ and my kid was really that stupid, I had to buy their way in I would have used the $$ to buy them a house and gave them the boot Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

"Most of the parents paid at least $200,000, but some spent up to $6.5 million to guarantee their children admission to top universities, authorities said."
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-cheating-scandal-parent-la-20190314-story.html

These kids and parents are living in a different world than the vast majority of us.
I suspect that their degrees really don't matter, it's just something they want/are expected to have so their parents bought it for them.
Skimmed a couple articles and didn't see what program these kids were applying for, but presumably something on the lower difficulty level.
So once they were in just being a mediocre student was enough, and even the bottom ranked graduates get to say they graduated from Yale etc.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

At least they had to pay to get in. MOst times you just have to be right color individual to get in. No test scores required. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Money influences many things so I don't know why people are so shocked over this.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Corruption should shock everyone! Or is our society so lacking in moral fiber now that anything it takes to get what you want fair game? Rolling Eyes

Are we not teaching/conditioning our youth to become cheats, con men, thieves, crooks, and thugs by doing this?

Is dishonesty really the best policy?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I'm reminded of this comedy sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJyrMZC4pM

'integrity, that's a valuable thing and I'm willing to pay for it!'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I'm reminded of this comedy sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJyrMZC4pM

'integrity, that's a valuable thing and I'm willing to pay for it!'

And that friends explains perfectly the present crop of politicians we have in both of our counties and several other countries too! Laughing

They say charity begins at home. I do think that applies to honesty too.

Enough said!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I taught ( briefly) at a major state university and got called into the deans office to hear how important the " children of alumni" were to funding ( especially the football team ). I had correctly graded ( they did not pass ) a mid term exam of a semi-blue blood. The message was clear, let them re-take the exam so they pass. Colleges and Universities are corrupt to the core, that is why I left that environment 30 years ago.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Cheating scandal now going to prep schools. Our child went to community college and now is making 150K. I do hope that parents whom children were not admitted get together with a class action situation.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

My son went to one of the best state schools in the state. At a visit his senior year in high school he was told that there's 10,000 applicants for 1800 seats. So a 95 average along isn't enough, you need something to stand out of the crowd. Kids were told that if they didn't get in the first time they should apply for second semester since a number of seats open up due to drop outs.

Needless to say he graduated with way more credits than needed. He went to get his masters from Colombia.

For "normal" people if you're not up to the task, they system will grind you down. But for the "privileged", they somehow have door opened even though they never did the hard work.

In the age of being famous for being famous and having your entire families success based on a sex tape that was released do you expect less?

That's OK because money doesn't buy happiness and i know both of my children are self made and hard working and will pass those attributes on to their children.

I and my children don't base our value on the amount of money we have, but on our character and the way we live our lives.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

We saw parents who bought their daughters spots on the varsity HS softball team.

My kids each had 2 scholarships to in-state universities, covered about half. My youngest got a "C" in accelerated English (apparently a "C" there did not count as a "B"), so she didn't get the full in-state college ride offered than; I was pi$$ed because English is her first language. Anyway, now she's a mechanical engineer with the company rated 3rd best in the world to work for.

When I interviewed for medical school there were 81 spots; 80% of the applicants were guys, but medical school was holding 40 spots for women applicants. I was told to:
keep applying
take graduate school courses
volunteer in the medical field
choose a parwent who was a physician

My optometrist did not do well enough to get admitted to Optometry School as his father had done; father got some strings pulled to get son admitted there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

When I interviewed for medical school there were 81 spots; 80% of the applicants were guys, but medical school was holding 40 spots for women applicants.

nowadays you would claim you're trans and get in! Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Corruption should shock everyone!

Sadly corruption has become the norm. This story will fade away in a matter of days. Corruption exists in politics, business, schools, churches, sports, non profit organizations, ...….

As far as dishonesty goes, sadly that has also become more accepted. There was an article in my daily paper recently which pointed out that people don't want the truth, they'd rather be lied to and told what they want to hear.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
oprn wrote:
Corruption should shock everyone!

Sadly corruption has become the norm. This story will fade away in a matter of days. Corruption exists in politics, business, schools, churches, sports, non profit organizations, ...….

As far as dishonesty goes, sadly that has also become more accepted. There was an article in my daily paper recently which pointed out that people don't want the truth, they'd rather be lied to and told what they want to hear.

Just look at who we elect and stupidly re-elect to Washington.

A fish stinks from the head and we get out of it the what we put in. Meaning how many people just vote the party line? How many actually do research on the candidate, what they stand for and their voting record?

We're all LAZY and complacent. All willing to take short cuts and gain an advantage. Are we mad because they cheated the system and tilted it to their advantage or are we made because we can't do the same?

If OJ was a poor man he never would of been acquitted. OK.... I admit that's unfair. I heard that the state of Louisiana sent out $26,000,000 worth of double tax refunds. They are in the process of recovering them, but how many people got them, knew they got twice the refund and still deposited the money? And of those, how many already spent it?

People cheat, so why are you surprised that wealthy people do the same?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I understand there are some past President's daughters, one, named Chelsea, who is at Stanford, and another one, with the last name of Obama, going to Yale...Hmmmm...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Yep. That's how many got rich too.

This story pushed Jussie Smollett to the back page, and likewise this story will get pushed back when the next "big story" breaks. We are a microwave society with short attention spans.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Just look at who we elect and stupidly re-elect to Washington.

Good responsible people don't run for office anymore since everything you've done from the time you left your mother's breast until today is under the microscope. Who wants to put themselves and their families thru that BS? So in the end we are stuck picking between the lesser of 2 evils.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I understand there are some past President's daughters, one, named Chelsea, who is at Stanford, and another one, with the last name of Obama, going to Yale...Hmmmm...

Maybe they were just recruited because of the prestige of having a President's daughter attending.
Dwayne1m wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Yep. That's how many got rich too.

Sure... that's how the present resident got that way Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If OJ was a poor man he never would of been acquitted. OK.... I admit that's unfair.

That's NOT an unfair statement at all. If OJ was poorer, and of any color, this would've been a 3-day trial.

Stuff like some potential author back east having notes/tapes of L.A. cop Mark Fuhrman from many years earlier in an attempt to make the issue racial - that author would never, ever have even heard of such case had OJ not been a celebrity.

In reality: Fuhrman was a really good officer. Too bad the attorneys didn't just have Fuhrman say that the tapes/conversations were a long time ago, and he couldn't remember what he said back then, but that his beliefs back then were not his current beliefs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: