Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying your Kid's Way into College.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, and there are a lot of school deans and presidents sweating! Maybe even West Point, I hear.

With 30-50 accused, why do we only see two Hollywood women on the TV coverage? This is true of all networks, both left and right. I guess for ratings because they are attractive? Sorta diminishes their outrage...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

What was the earliest "legal" advice you ever received from an adult?
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

The concept is as old as dirt. Parents have paid off the neighbors with the broken fence, the owner of the parked car the 16yo smashed, etc.- long before college was discussed at Sunday dinner. It was always in their plan to buy their kid out of the excuses due to the shortcomings they have as parents. Anybody watch "Mommie Dearest" almost 40 years ago? It was beneath Joan Crawford to have anything short of the perfect children- and we're talking 50s Hollywood.

There are plenty of direct at-fault dirty coaches and teachers, but there are plenty of good people at schools who never knew there could be such a scam going on (I honestly believe Lynn Swann). The media wants everyone to believe that everyone knew and kept it mum- because it is certainly not in fashion to report that good people see good in others and don't think like a leftist scammer. These folks do not deserve to be implicated by the f'ing leftist "it's my right to be heard" media.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
What was the earliest "legal" advice you ever received from an adult?
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

The concept is as old as dirt. Parents have paid off the neighbors with the broken fence, the owner of the parked car the 16yo smashed, etc.- long before college was discussed at Sunday dinner. It was always in their plan to buy their kid out of the excuses due to the shortcomings they have as parents. Anybody watch "Mommie Dearest" almost 40 years ago? It was beneath Joan Crawford to have anything short of the perfect children- and we're talking 50s Hollywood.

There are plenty of direct at-fault dirty coaches and teachers, but there are plenty of good people at schools who never knew there could be such a scam going on (I honestly believe Lynn Swann). The media wants everyone to believe that everyone knew and kept it mum- because it is certainly not in fashion to report that good people see good in others and don't think like a leftist scammer. These folks do not deserve to be implicated by the f'ing leftist "it's my right to be heard" media.

“Leftist” Laughing not quite seeing it as right or left. Unless you think leftists are rich Rolling Eyes
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Forest Gump's mother is in a heap of trouble!
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I don't know if you in the USA have a 4H calf program for country kids. We do here in Canada and to summarize quickly it involves taking a weaned calf, the kid halter breaks it, feeds it, keeps financial records, feed records etc. at the end there is a weigh in, show and ultimately a sale and a grand champion is chosen based on the judging and sale price.

Sound good?

Sure does! But..

We quickly found out it was corrupt to the core! Has been for years! Just a show case for Daddy's herd bloodlines. Kids leading some big stear into the ring that they were terrified of. Ya right you fed and trained that calf!!

One kid told me his was so big because he locked it up in the barn with 3 milk cows for 6 months and lead good because he tied it's head up to the rafters the night before the sale so it's neck would be too sore to do anything but obey! Totally against the rules!

Then came the sale! Kids with beautiful looking calves struggling to get 85 cents a pound while the kids with big gun Dads were netting $1.45 a pound no matter what the beast looked like. Fertalizer, machinery, mineral supplement dealers scrambling over each other to try and get Dad's buisness.

When I brought up my concerns at the next meeting it was all nod, nod, wink, wink, giggle, giggle. Then I suggested a simple solution to level the playing field and was told in no uncertain terms that they were happy with things as is and invited us to leave.

And we did! What a way to raise your kids!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Wait, what?!

There's corruption in America? The rich are entitled? Our pathetic politicians are only worried about their own self interests?

Shut the front door...

EVERYONE of these kids involved in this scam should be kicked out of the colleges their rich parents got them into.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

I just don't get the entire college thing. I worked my whole life with a good job and now retired with a comfortable retirement and I never went to college one single day.

College today is nothing more than a for profit money making business. The "Education" has long gone.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I just don't get the entire college thing. I worked my whole life with a good job and now retired with a comfortable retirement and I never went to college one single day.

College today is nothing more than a for profit money making business. The "Education" has long gone.

I hate to say it, but it's old school thinking there. if you are 50+ that may be true...you'd pick up a paper, apply for a job with the town and retire with a pension.

now, many places want a bachelors at minimum. honestly...even a "good" non-college education job starts at 20/22 hr....very hard to make it on that imho (I live in CT...they tax you to blink) that may be baller status in other parts of the country...not sure.

places that will just hire you to give you a try are getting slim

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I hate to say it, but it's old school thinking there. if you are 50+ that may be true...you'd pick up a paper, apply for a job with the town and retire with a pension.

now, many places want a bachelors at minimum. honestly...even a "good" non-college education job starts at 20/22 hr....very hard to make it on that imho (I live in CT...they tax you to blink) that may be baller status in other parts of the country...not sure.

Tell that to all those that have thousands in student loans that can't find a job or the only job they can find is baby sitting the burger flippers. Just because someone has indebted themselves for life doesn't mean that they are guaranteed a high paying job.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Tell that to all those that have thousands in student loans that can't find a job or the only job they can find is baby sitting the burger flippers. Just because someone has indebted themselves for life doesn't mean that they are guaranteed a high paying job.

to your point, that is a big issue. but so many go with something useless like an art degree....and wonder why they can't find a gig.

the other thing is they blow their wad at a "name brand" school...for what? my brother went to a community college and did quite well for himself.

hard to have the answer what to take...depends on what you want to do. the days of hiring someone that can fog a mirror are over...most places want some sort of background in the chosen degree for employment.

there are some good paying "manual labor" jobs....HVAC, fleet maintenance, plumbing to name a few. if I had it to do over, I would be doing HVAC.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

The days of graduating high school, getting a job with a pension, and being able to buy a house for $40k are over.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

At some point a person realizes that most human problems have no cure, if it’s been a problem for thousands of years, how is some greenhorn going to solve it?
They ain’t.
But look on the bright side, those privledged kids have many pitfalls that the better equipped kids will steer clear of or not get in trouble with.
Nice to see some rational ranting going on around here, it’s healthy.
I’d easily say progressives are a disease, blaming people for being human everyday.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

for every person caught in this BS a full scholarship should be awarded to a kid who has the smarts but cant afford to go to one of these schools.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
for every person caught in this BS a full scholarship should be awarded to a kid who has the smarts but cant afford to go to one of these schools.

I see a Futurama episode unfolding.
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

“Your momma sure does care about your schoolin son.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I totally agree with this comment. Some people are excellent at absorbing material and applying it back on tests. They are academically strong. However, they possess either no people/social skills or have zero common sense at all.

I've interviewed 100's of college grads over the decades. I personally wondered how they found the office location for the interview.

I'll always agree that a bachelors degree can open more doors for people interviewing for a job. However, a degree is not a guarantee you'll have a successful career.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:

“Your momma sure does care about your schoolin son.”

Hey, it worked out in the end. He ended up going to Alabama. Wink
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

Its interesting that this story is coming to light during a time when a lot of smaller colleges and universities are in trouble financially.

It seems to me that there has been too much emphasis on the right "brand" in education and many schools spent too much money to upgrade facilities in order to appeal as elite. It follows then that students are willing to take on debt and parents pay whatever to achieve the right "brand" of education.

I think perhaps there might be change in America when it comes to higher education. The current paradigm seems to be sagging from its own weight.

Education doesn't have to be expensive to be good, and just because its expensive doesn't mean its good.

There should be legitimate avenues for exceptional people in education in our society for sure. They should be celebrated. We should also try to make sure all young children are given a good starting point, because sometimes we don't know when and which will become exceptional.

From what I understand, another irony of the story is that they used learning disability claims to get a a longer time or untimed SAT test, by which the proctors who where on the take just filled out the tests for the students. Some of the students didn't even know their parents paid off the system and wondered if they could get better scores if they took it again.

I think this story is more evidence that our society might be overly plutocratic. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

To continue this train of thought... once we diminish the evaluation of actual achievement--and it starts with the absence of scoring in youth sports and continues with automatic promotion to the next grade level--the pervasive "everybody's a winner" mentality destroys personal incentive to excel. We go WAY beyond leveling the playing field, and insist on level results.

We destroyed the value of a good and earned education, so why are we surprised it means so little today?

If GPA no longer means anything, then the school itself becomes the "badge of honor."

And now it goes to the highest bidder.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying your Kid's Way into College. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I don't know if you in the USA have a 4H calf program for country kids. We do here in Canada and to summarize quickly it involves taking a weaned calf, the kid halter breaks it, feeds it, keeps financial records, feed records etc. at the end there is a weigh in, show and ultimately a sale and a grand champion is chosen based on the judging and sale price.

Sound good?

Sure does! But..

We quickly found out it was corrupt to the core! Has been for years! Just a show case for Daddy's herd bloodlines. Kids leading some big stear into the ring that they were terrified of. Ya right you fed and trained that calf!!

One kid told me his was so big because he locked it up in the barn with 3 milk cows for 6 months and lead good because he tied it's head up to the rafters the night before the sale so it's neck would be too sore to do anything but obey! Totally against the rules!

Then came the sale! Kids with beautiful looking calves struggling to get 85 cents a pound while the kids with big gun Dads were netting $1.45 a pound no matter what the beast looked like. Fertalizer, machinery, mineral supplement dealers scrambling over each other to try and get Dad's buisness.

When I brought up my concerns at the next meeting it was all nod, nod, wink, wink, giggle, giggle. Then I suggested a simple solution to level the playing field and was told in no uncertain terms that they were happy with things as is and invited us to leave.

And we did! What a way to raise your kids!

Don't worry, AOC has a plan for those farting bovine that help destroy the environment.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: