Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

The Webers we are talking about are Alfa Remeo carbs, they are not just standard Italian webers, they are a different animal.
There are people here who know far more about them than i ever will, maybe they will chime in at some point.
All i know is (with some outside help on the set up) my Weber 36 idf 44/45, off of an Alfa Remeo....friggin rock!

And they work great with the sinc link.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

My Italian carbs came with complete and working chokes too and if you are lucky enough to get that bonus and live in a cool climate keep them. They work really well!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Sooo,
These are Italian Dellorto’s modified to work like Spanish 40’s? I’m confused.
I was told he is really great to deal with and sells great stuff.
There are 2 sets...
One says “for vw”
One says “for Porsche”
What does that mean? Vents are the same size.
I’ll assume the main, idle jets are different for Porsche and carbs are the same?
Ready to pull the trigger. Maybe I’ll check feedback here to see before I jump.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6409.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performance-Dual-I...rb-kit.htm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1797193

02/76 Beetle sedan

Last edited by APPLEGREENVW on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If Kads have an erratic idle it is. 4 out of 5 times because of not enough static compression and too much cam duration which make the carbs engine very sensetive along with sgl throat carbs.

Stock 1600 DP with stock cam. The cylinder with the lowest compression was the right rear which did not misfire. The 2 front cylinders will not stay lit at idle until the engine is fully warmed up and even then cut in and out anywhere below 900 rpm. That is after many hours of tuning a syncing the carbs. Rear cylinders always fire. I understand that is normal behavior for dual single throat carbs.

I recall the same issue with the stock type 3 Solex carbs but it was not as bad due I believe to them being smaller carbs.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

So I went with the Dellorto DRLA 40’s
Been reading ALOT and came up with the following for a 1776, 110 cam,
32 vents
55-57 idle
130 main
180 air

THEN I start reading about peeps running the DRLA 36’s and I’m “starting” to second guess myself.
Were the 40’s the better choice?
I had read the 40’s had a few advancements over the 36’s and decided on the 40’s from alpa1750.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Your engine will like the 40's. My 1776 also has an Engle 110, and 40 IDFs. It is a remarkable difference in power and idling from the FRD carbs I previously had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Yeahhhhh!
What jets did you run?
Do you remember?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

DRLA and IDF carb sizes are not the same.
36 DRLA = 40 IDF.
40 DRLA = 44 IDF.
45 DRLA = 48 IDF.

The Dellorto jets are sized differently than IDF jets too. I don't have the chart available. I measure my jets before installation to make sure what I'm tuning with.

The one very good difference between Dellorto and IDF carbs is.
The Dellorto jets are accessible from the top of the carb. The IDF's have the idle jets on the side of the carb.
To change IDF idle jets. You have to remove the carb to access the jets. Unless you have installed "Weber Windows" in your engine compartment. Or drilled a hole in the inner fender well like Glenn did on his car.

Dellorto carbs IMO, are a far better engineered carb. Compared to the IDF carbs. I like all of the o-rings on the mixture screws and pump jets.

For your 1776. You may be a bit over carbed. But it can be worked out.
Someone will chime in on getting the carbs right for your engine.
I'm not that guy. I have soooo... many dual carb sets. That I can choose whatever carb I desire for the engine I'm installing the carbs on. Then tune from there.

Good Luck.

motofly196 wrote:
Your engine will like the 40's. My 1776 also has an Engle 110, and 40 IDFs. It is a remarkable difference in power and idling from the FRD carbs I previously had.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Some idf's (including the ones on my car) have the idle jets in the top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

So are those 36 IDF?
Then yes. They may indeed have the idle jets on top. I have never seen a set of 36 IDF's. But of all the IDF carbs I listed above(that I own). None have the idle jet through the top.

rodjr wrote:
Some idf's (including the ones on my car) have the idle jets in the top.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Yes, 36 idf's in the pic. There are also 40's configured the same way.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
rodjr wrote:
If those are from alfa1750, I would personally not do it. All the ones i have seen him do, he modifies them backwards to mimic spanish 40's. To me, that is completely missing the whole idea.

What can be done to the spanish 40's IDF, so that they can perform like their Italian cousins?

Good question.
I lack motivation to research that, because the better carbs cost less.
The trick is you have to look, they aren't screaming at you from a magazine add or a online retailer.
If you really want them, and look hard, you will find them, usually for 400 or less. At one time I was worried that word would get out, and they would become rare and expensive, but... I was wrong. Thanks to empi re-producing webers and dells these web-ortos may fly under the radar forever, only sought after by a small number of American and German Vw enthusiasts, actually.... I sent one set to Canada and one to the Philipines too, but.....still a fairly small club Wink (There is a DCOE version too BTW, nobody can figure those out either!)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

40DRLA should be a fine choice.
There are two different sizes of transfer ports. The holes are different sizes. Take off a cover and check the top two holes. I'd go with

32 vents with 1.8mm BIg transfer ports
Or 30 vents if they are 1.4mm, smaller transfer ports

More info here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=260
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Wish I would’ve known about your super secret carbs sooner...
I just dropped $700 on these.😡
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Wish I would’ve known about your super secret carbs sooner...
I just dropped $700 on these.😡

I did the same thing about a year ago. I didn't research enough about Webers IDF's. d'oh!

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

There are a few members that I really look up to and modok is one of them. The guy knows his shit.
When I see his avatar I always wanna read what he has to say.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
To change IDF idle jets. You have to remove the carb to access the jets. Unless you have installed "Weber Windows" in your engine compartment. Or drilled a hole in the inner fender well like Glenn did on his car]

Neither is necessary. Simply buy some broached idle jet holders from Jaycee, then you can remove/replace them with an allen wrench. Done it many times on my '69 Beetle with 2332 and 44IDFs in an uncut engine compartment --https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1095914

Last edited by Kafer_Mike on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to adapt a sync link to my frd’s? Reply with quote

Well I'll be damned. Never seen those idle jet holders before. Thanks for posting this solution.

That being said.
I still think Dellorto DRLA carbs are better engineered and have more finite tune capabilities than any IDF carb.
Kafer_Mike wrote:

Neither is necessary. Simply buy some broached idle jet holders from Jaycee, then you can remove/replace them with an allen wrench. Done it many times on my '69 Beetle with 2332 and 44IDFs in an uncut engine compartment --[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1095914[url]

[/url]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: