Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

At long last, the almost-expired patient was carted into the emergency ward several days ago and lifted off the ground ready for prolonged surgery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, happy day!! Easter truly is the time for a resurrection.

Work is commencing, starting with yanking the old exhaust off. If you click on the photo, you'll soon scope out the need for some overdue rust work ahead after the mechanical surgery. Most of it involves the areas around the utility hook-ups and the worst of it lies in the bottom panel where the colorful stripes are. I was always hesitant to muck with the rust bubbles because of those stripes and now wish I hadn't waited so long.

The rust-ridden game plan: get rid of the red, orange and yellow stripes and convert both lower panels to black texturing after the "pox" is taken care of. The other side is virtually rust free in that area. The black will match the black in the German flags as well as the dark tinted windows. The smaller pin-striping above will reflect the other colors used in the flags. Another planned addition is a Terrawagen flare kit in black to continue the theme and hide a wee bit of damage on the rear passenger side wheel well lip/fender: https://www.terrawagen.com/products/vanagon-transporter-fender-flare-kit . Over all, the original paint is in pretty good shape and I'd like to keep as much of it as possible.

Clutch claw arrived from the UK which brings the total up to $20,703.94 CDN.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Thirty-year-old 2.1L VW engine out...

...and new 2.3L GoWesty engine being prepped/pimped out for the switcheroo:

Progress! For the curious, AMC = Amadeo Marti Carbonell https://www.amc.es/aftermarket-eng/ . GoWesty dodges the common AMC quality complaints with their own fix: https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=58 .

Fuel tank being dropped next for inspection/overhaul/replacement.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Fuel tank out and inspected. Not bad for a 30-year-old! That black paint in the center section is the original finish.

It looks like a spill from the fuel level sender at some point in time although I don't recall fumes or a puddle. The innards look quite capable of further service:

The oval areas where the expansion tanks settle against the wheel wells look a little suspect/rusty with the driver's side showing tiny holes near the bottom:

Will be sealed up before the reinstall of the tanks.

With the fuel tank out, it's MUCH easier to see where the rust is abundant. Before the tank goes back in those corroding sections will be scraped/brushed back a wee bit and Corrosion Free applied ( https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-cure-formula-3000-0477985p.html + https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-service-is-best ):

The radiator is now out as well and further work is slated:

Adding three cans of Rust Cure/Corrosion Free and two 360 degree spray nozzle thingies for frame members https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-pcs-Dinitrol-Extension-N...0005.m1851 to the running total gets me to $20,771.77 CDN.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Okay, back to the action -- hopefully to ward off ending up with this translation of Westfalia (Old Bert pointed this out on a parts van in the parking lot today):

As I've already mentioned the old rad is out...

...and the new being prepped for replacement:

Time now to also dig into the dash and replace the front heater core, squealing blower and associated resistor:

Old vs New:

The Van Cafe front heater core box clip package comes in real handy about now: https://www.vancafe.com/321819059-KIT-p/321819059-kit.htm .
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Hmm, you may want to think about the jeep resistor replacement before you get it all buttoned up (and for that, some of us have just used zip ties). I didn't like that glowing object in there and the blistered plastic from years of driving with fan on low didn't do much for me.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

For the amount of coin you’re spending it seems like a new/rebuilt transaxle would be a no brainer considering the old one has 200k and everything else is being replaced. If you’re sending your old one as a core don’t wait til the r&p is toast or you won’t get the core $ back.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Hmm, you may want to think about the jeep resistor replacement before you get it all buttoned up (and for that, some of us have just used zip ties). I didn't like that glowing object in there and the blistered plastic from years of driving with fan on low didn't do much for me.

Glowing object? What are you speaking of? The blistered plastic comes from 30 years of living/operating in a COLD climate not from driving with the fan on low. This place ain't no Seattle. Very Happy

I actually stumbled on a thread about the jeep resistor yesterday but I'm sure the one that was installed will do the job adequately until I drop dead. At any rate everything is already buttoned up -- with the purpose-made clip kit from Van Cafe.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
For the amount of coin you’re spending it seems like a new/rebuilt transaxle would be a no brainer considering the old one has 200k and everything else is being replaced.

Early on in this thread I mentioned that the original tranny was replaced less than 40,000 miles ago. It's good to go as is.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

Glowing object? What are you speaking of? The blistered plastic comes from 30 years of living/operating in a COLD climate not from driving with the fan on low. This place ain't no Seattle. Very Happy

Okay, I think I finally figured out what you were talking about (yeah, I'm a wee bit slow on the uptake -- you fine Sambanistas have been debating this problem for years so please forgive me):

I'm assuming the "blister" you speak of is the one I circled in bright green? And it's due to a "glowing" hot resistor that doesn't get enough air flow over it? Is that right? I read through some of the resistor threads and came to that conclusion and noted that your own fix lasted 2 1/2 years before conking out.

I have to agree that VW could have/should have come up with a better location for a red-hot resistor but I used my OEM resistor for 25 years without noticing anything that would flag a problem and give me concern. Maybe it's due to my predominantly cold climate -- or "ignorance is bliss". I'll definitely keep an eye (and nose) open for anything in the way of overheated plastic in that area. Would it be wise to run the fan on a higher setting then -- since you mention the blistering at a low fan setting?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

those ceramic resistors don't glow red hot. they DO get hot, but not to the point of illumination. maybe i'm reading things too literal. the "Jeep resistor" does indeed glow but it is a different material and design and glowing is fine for that type tho it is a source of combustion if a leaf rests against it.

to 'solve' the resistor issue for myself, i put two in parallel as stolen from my rear AC, dropping the wattage to each by 1/2 and then mounted them in the air flow for cooling. i expect them to outlive me.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:

I'm assuming the "blister" you speak of is the one I circled in bright green? And it's due to a "glowing" hot resistor that doesn't get enough air flow over it? Is that right? I read through some of the resistor threads and came to that conclusion and noted that your own fix lasted 2 1/2 years before conking out.

Mine is still good, a wire came off was all. Still works and if it does fail, I don't have to pull the dash to get to it.

I made my own call based on what I saw in my own heater box, never saw your pictures. Your van, your call. I try to learn and make improvements where I see them.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

I made my own call based on what I saw in my own heater box, never saw your pictures. Your van, your call. I try to learn and make improvements where I see them.

I reckon it comes down to expected outdoor temperatures during the warmest months: it's cold or cool in these parts and the nearby mountains year-round so the threat of overheating/blistering is reduced substantially. I guess I'll find out firsthand how good the new aftermarket resistor is in the near future. Thanks for your input!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Since the work on my van is being woven into the busy, pre-May 24th holiday weekend scheduling, the effort is being drawn out over several weeks. Here's the latest and greatest.

New radiator in with a view of the old rad fan, too:

The old reliable fuel tank coated with rock guard/rust inhibitor before reinstallation:

Not surprisingly, Spectra "Premium" gas tanks are currently advertising lifespans of only 7 to 10 years -- with a measly three year warranty. I added a new charcoal canister in hopes of getting rid of the tank cavitation "Ka-booms" that I was experiencing in the past.

A new fuel pump is also on its way to replace the 30-year-old original pictured (the filter is scratched with the current mileage in kms):

The 2.3L GoWesty engine has finally found a long-term home as has the stainless steel GoWesty exhaust system:

Also added a hi-torque starter to a new Bus Depot adapter plate (note the GoWesty "red" alternator wiring upgrade to that starter):

The new stainless steel coolant pipe set nestles up against the power steering hoses (from Bus Depot) that lead up front to the newly installed power steering rack:

The brake pressure regulator got a long-overdue dose of Corrosion Free to boot:

BEFORE and AFTER pics of the badly rusted areas above/surrounding the fuel tank treated with Corrosion Free prior to the reinstallation (I'll deal with the rest on my own after the mechanical work is done). Note the old crusty power steering lines removed and new hoses installed while the fuel tank is down:

Remember those rusty ovals in the wheel wells hidden behind the fuel expansion tanks? Fixed! POR15 rust neutralizing hardened coating applied, cured and then the tiny rust holes filled with sealant. Corrosion Free will be added on top for good measure in the near future. Good for another few decades:

T3 25mm sway bar, Schwenk springs, XHD Bilstein shocks, rubber brake hoses etc incoming....
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Fuel tank reinstalled with the expansion tanks now back in place with the repaired ovals behind them:

Engine almost completed topside:

And bottomside (with new e-brakes in place):

It'll never look as shiny and bright again especially with the gleaming new oxygen sensor in place:

Power steering system upgrade mostly in place:

Even the oil dipstick gets a shiny new hose clamp:

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

what a great build you're doing! exciting. say, it looks like your moustache bar MIGHT have a split in it, likely from water entering and freezing. the split is running length wise which is much better from a stress standpoint than a crack across the bar. might want to grind the crack, if it is one maybe it's just paint, and run a weld bead to stitch things back up.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Thanks! Most of the excitement will hit me when I get the final bill. Shocked

I assume the moustache bar "split" comment comes from looking at this photo:

I did notice that after the fact -- I originally looked at that area without a flash illuminating it -- but forgot to follow up and check it again. That's on my list. I like looking the photos over for possible improvements or oversights that I don't spot in the shop. There's so much to look at some days that it's overwhelming.

[Update: that "split" is an optical illusion from the flash. The bar is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar with a fresh scrape that exposed the gray metal beneath making it look like a crack. Old Bert was a wee bit irked that I insinuated that there might be something amiss with the moustache bar that they hadn't noticed! Better to be safe than sorry, I always say.]

If you see anything else suspicious/strange feel free to pipe up!

Last edited by VdubVanner on Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I like the fact that there are washers everywhere. I would have bought a new Mustache bar and had it powder painted as well as the intake plenum and whatever small bits you could along the way.
Are you going to attack the shifter parts as well. If you pull the aluminum selector down and run your finger inside, I bet you'll find a .050 ridge on the inside. I've completely rebuilt both of my shifter and it is so nice.
Grea looking job, it's going to be the price of 2 year old Toyota when your done.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Shifter parts are in the future.

At the moment, the last connection on the new power steering hose set is due to be done. Here's the original metal line high pressure p.s. connection (note the compression fitting with the "conehead" from the rack line going into the concave depression in the pump hose side):

The new version from Bus Depot has no curvy conehead which threw my mechanic off as the fitting doesn't look as secure/leakproof as the OEM metal line version:

Ken at Vanagain has a similar version but the nut has the flexibility to move up and down for a better fit ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXKBi4EhIQU ):

Frank Condelli https://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61 and Van Cafe https://www.vancafe.com/251498100-p/251498100.htm sell their own versions.

Last edited by VdubVanner on Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

you're going to love that starter mod. money well spent and they sound frickin' cool. i have the GW stainless exhaust system minus the cat. it also sounds cool, nice and throaty. starting is now a symphony!

i'd be curious if that's a Walker cat GW supplied. i was less than chuffed with mine due to a noticable performance drop over a test pipe. the OEM one has a larger catalyst diameter than the Walker.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
you're going to love that starter mod. money well spent and they sound frickin' cool. i have the GW stainless exhaust system minus the cat. it also sounds cool, nice and throaty. starting is now a symphony!

i'd be curious if that's a Walker cat GW supplied. i was less than chuffed with mine due to a noticable performance drop over a test pipe. the OEM one has a larger catalyst diameter than the Walker.

I ordered in the GW SS exhaust system without the catalytic converter as Old Bert was going to source one locally for me due to the extra weight/cost if shipped across the border. I have no clue what they ended up using but it sure looks nice. I'll try to find out what cat they installed.

[Update: Old Bert told me that it was an EMICO catalytic converter that is warrantied in Canada -- a feature that he liked.]

Last edited by VdubVanner on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: