Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Sigh: Yup, it's 30 years old with almost 200,000 miles on its 2.1L. And that engine recently started bleeding copious amounts of coolant and then oil in quick succession.

It's time! I've had this Westy for 25 great years and it needs some TLC. Trannie was done about 40,000 miles ago but this surgery is deeper and more extensive. I've been using the same mechanic for 36 years -- had a '73 passenger converted to camper before this ride -- but the labor rates have been going up over the years. That van, however, is my daily driver and only vehicle so time is of the essence.

$$$$ GULP!

GoWesty 2.3L engine incoming (I assumed a wooden crate would be used):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pray for me.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I should probably show the van, too.

I bought it with about 20,000 miles on it from a small town VW dealership in 1994. According to the back story, a nearby farmer with German origins had purchased it for a few cross-country trips with his wife and then it sat in a quonset hut on his farm for a few years with very little use.

Here it is, shoehorned into my tight 1940-ish garage (I had the rafters raised to get it in through the new door):

Currently awaiting its pile of part boxes to be loaded from my basement and then a quick run to the shop.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Cool looking van. Good luck with the engine replacement. I'm impressed that GoWesty would put their engine in an enclosed plastic container to keep the elements and reduce damage during shipping.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this run. When I bought my Westfalia in October, my attitude was that the condition of the engine wasn't high on my list of important things as long as the body was solid. I found a great van, and I was thinking i'd just swap in a 2.5 Subaru until I started learning that in CA, that aint allowed.

Even after seeing the other options, I have come to respect the WBX motor. Good luck, and keep us posted.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I LOVE your van's stripes. Good luck!
Some people call him Maurice...
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Why didn't I opt for a Subie or Zetec conversion? Because I have a German vehicle with German flags (and matching striping) either side of it. Japanese or Ford engines? No siree, sir! I also have a German surname and have listened -- nervously -- to V-dub engines for decades. I actually like the Waterboxer. These fellow Cowtowners seem to be doing just fine with their world-roaming GoWesty 2.3L http://livetravelplay.marionette.ca/lucky/ and are currently featured in CampervanCulture's "Turkey" series: https://campervanculture.com/category/trips/vanlife-explorers-visit-cappadocia-turkey/.

The thing with a GoWesty replacement engine is that to have the warranty stick -- and I opted for the Road Warrior 48 month/48,000 mile version -- you need to replace ALL your coolant and heating lines not to mention your ancient heater cores and radiator https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=14 . That article spells out why.

Over and above that, I'm following roughly what Westy-Werks has laid out here: http://westy-werks.com/blog/2013/09/12/installing-...ded-parts/ . I'm sticking with a nylon fiberglass-reinforced thermostat housing bundle, though. At the price of the billet aluminum, I can carry three spare nylon ones. My original OEM nylon thermostat housing is still doing its job after 30 years of service. I'm currently debating about which shocks and springs to pop in and ordered XHD Bilsteins (on sale) with the rebate I got on the engine. I'm split between Schwenk and the European springs from Bus Depot but will likely go with the former. Confession: I'm a rube who's been running KYB Gas Adjusts in the rear and Boge in the front for over a decade and never thought twice about it. That included trips up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik NWT, all over Alaska + BC (including many a rough logging road) and on several cross country trips. I'm also guilty of hauling hundreds of pounds of gravel in the back of my van on occasion -- with a tarp placed underneath before shovelling it all in, of course.

FIRST on the list of things to install, however, was that wonderful fire suppression tool, the Blazecut. In Canada, the only place I could find it was AVR Import Specialties online: https://avrparts.com/collections/blazecut/products/blaze-cut-automatic-fire-suppression-system . I've ordered the industrial size Element fire extinguisher to tuck behind my seat as well: https://elementfire.com/collections/allproducts/products/element-e100 . Those two items should be mandatory equipment on any VW bus, bug, Vanagon or Westy.

Even though the Blazecut gauge looks wonky/shows empty, according to the pundits it shoots up into green territory when heated by the engine sufficiently. My 2.1L isn't going to get those honors. The warning label is there to limit the banging of the Blazecut's plastic tube as the engine cover is removed for inspection/mechanical work:

Last edited by VdubVanner on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

And while the mechanics are bent over staring at that Blazecut warning label, the last thing I want to happen is for them to get slammed in the back with a weak-strutted hatch, hence the next easy fix:

I replaced the old struts -- in a lineage of many similar short-lived wonders -- with the latest heavy duty variety from GoWesty and, in anticipation of their untimely passing, added 8-inch sections of gray electrical conduit to each side during that install ( https://www.homedepot.ca/product/carlon-schedule-40-pvc-conduit-3-4-in/1000101188 ).

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, thrice etc, shame on me. Those are the last struts that I'll be buying. I'm sick and tired of going through them. Note that the gray conduit matches the gray interior. Gotta stay color-coordinated!

The main complaint I've heard over the years about VW vans and Westfalias -- especially pre-Internet and TheSamba era -- is that you can't trust them because they break down all the time leaving you (and your entire family?) on the side of the road. As every true Sambanista will tell you, there's only one way to fight that: Preventative Maintenance ie replace things before they toss you to the shoulder -- or worse. My inspiration for that philosophy came from the fountain of knowledge before www.whatever: The Whole Earth Catalog. Anyone around old enough to remember that wonderful compilation (there were actually a few of them)? In it was a review for a brilliant book (1979) by Suzanne and George Fremon titled Why Trade It In:

The Fremons outlined a maintenance stance that gave predictable lifespans of different vehicle components and suggested that you (via a wisely chosen mechanic) replace things BEFORE they died, not after each funeral. They also plugged the philosophy of buying used vehicles and keeping them running almost forever. Buy a NEW vehicle simply because your current one was costing you money? Not a chance -- because they ALL cost money! Following their advice, I've never been left on the side of the road. I will admit that I left the engine a wee bit too long and should have replaced it sooner. Had it gasped its last breath 2,000 miles from here, I'd be in deep do-do. However, I've been running fairly locally of late and knew I was a tow truck ride away from help.

So the three maintenance Bibles I carry aboard are Why Trade It in, as much for ongoing inspiration in a weak moment as for guidance; the big green Bentley manual, in case I end up in a small town with a mechanic unfamiliar with Westys; and my repair logbook with entries for all the work done on the van. Flipping through the latter, I can see when the brake master cylinder, the clutch slave cylinder, trannie etc was dealt with and replaced. I look at the replacement mileage and estimate when the next breakdown and/or maintenance should occur. Of course, that strategy worked like a charm when all the parts were OEM German-made not Chinese junk. Carrying spares is a good idea these days.

Up next for discussion is the maintenance approach for those of us in our 60s who may have but 20 years driving to look forward to -- or less. This is affecting the current Westy makeover maintenance scheduling where I'm jumping the gun on certain replacements.

Last edited by VdubVanner on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
Why didn't I opt for a Subie or Zetec conversion? Because I have a German vehicle with German flags (and matching striping) either side of it. Japanese or Ford engines? No siree, sir! I also have a German surname and have listened -- nervously -- to V-dub engines for decades. I actually like the Waterboxer. These fellow Cowtowners seem to be doing just fine with their world-roaming GoWesty 2.3L http://livetravelplay.marionette.ca/lucky/ and are currently featured in CampervanCulture's "Turkey" series: https://campervanculture.com/category/trips/vanlife-explorers-visit-cappadocia-turkey/.

Hi! This is Gregor from Live.Travel.Play.

You won't be sorry about the GW 2.3 engine, ours has been great and I'm sure yours will be too.

Sadly our world travels will be over by the end of this year. We'll be back in cowtown Smile Maybe we can swap install stories sometime.

Another thing if the budget is there, the GW EFI system is really nice too.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Congrats on not drinking the conversion Kool Aid. Nothing works better than a WBX in a VAnagon. It is perfectly matched to the gear box and wonderful to listen to.
I would replace the Thermo housing with a New Plastic one and the cap. They get work hardened and crack from heat and chemicals. Take a good look at your heater hoses as well as there are some plastic bits in there that are long over due for replacememt.
This would be a great time to update to new injectors and a COMPLETE fuel hose replacement and eliminate the Plastic fuel nipple as well.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Hey Gregor! Great to hear from you. I love your van set up. Not overloaded up top -- perfect cruiser. Yeah, I've looked covetously at that GW EFI system but I have bodywork to get done once the mechanicals are over with so I have to watch my pennies (which lead to BIG $$$). I contacted Kyle at http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/ regarding his updated Digi-fant harness -- a cheaper approach -- and here's what he had to say:

Thank you for your interest. The biggest thing that I can tell you about what a new harness will give you is peace of mind...you will not be wondering if your harness is causing your issues due to age and deterioration. That said, the price of the new modern style harness with the core is $799. These harnesses are built with corrugated split-loom, colored/striped wires and taped joints (just like ones that come in today’s new cars). Basically, if you send me your FI harness and $799 (check or money order), I will get a new harness out to you within five weeks from the time I receive it. Please let me know if you need your harness quicker and I'll see what I can do. Currently, I am reusing the ECU, Hall Gen, and ISCU connectors as well as the Relay Box. They would be removed from your core harness, reconditioned for use on the new one. Shipping is $15 within the continental US. If you are unable to provide your original harness, then there is a $150 core charge that is refundable upon receipt of the core harness.

I can send an invoice with links to pay via Credit Card or Bank Transfer, or you may send a check or money order if you prefer. I can accept PayPal if you are more comfortable with that form of payment. If you have any questions, or would like to order a harness, please e-mail or call me anytime.

Maybe not a plug-in-and-see-what's-wrong system like GoWesty's EFI handiwork but a cheaper way to approach reliability. How have you found the diagnostics with the GW system? Has it quickly pinpointed problems in certain parts (instead of the old school replacement game)?

Sad to hear you're ending your travels. But it sure looked like you had a great time and saw a lot. Sure, we'll have to swap installation stories -- as long as mine isn't a HORROR story. Shocked

All the best to you and Janice!
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
Hey Gregor! Great to hear from you. I love your van set up. Not overloaded up top -- perfect cruiser. Yeah, I've looked covetously at that GW EFI system but I have bodywork to get done once the mechanicals are over with so I have to watch my pennies (which lead to BIG $$$). I contacted Kyle at http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/ regarding his updated Digi-fant harness -- a cheaper approach -- and here's what he had to say:

Thank you for your interest. The biggest thing that I can tell you about what a new harness will give you is peace of mind...you will not be wondering if your harness is causing your issues due to age and deterioration. That said, the price of the new modern style harness with the core is $799. These harnesses are built with corrugated split-loom, colored/striped wires and taped joints (just like ones that come in today’s new cars). Basically, if you send me your FI harness and $799 (check or money order), I will get a new harness out to you within five weeks from the time I receive it. Please let me know if you need your harness quicker and I'll see what I can do. Currently, I am reusing the ECU, Hall Gen, and ISCU connectors as well as the Relay Box. They would be removed from your core harness, reconditioned for use on the new one. Shipping is $15 within the continental US. If you are unable to provide your original harness, then there is a $150 core charge that is refundable upon receipt of the core harness.

I can send an invoice with links to pay via Credit Card or Bank Transfer, or you may send a check or money order if you prefer. I can accept PayPal if you are more comfortable with that form of payment. If you have any questions, or would like to order a harness, please e-mail or call me anytime.

Maybe not a plug-in-and-see-what's-wrong system like GoWesty's EFI handiwork but a cheaper way to approach reliability. How have you found the diagnostics with the GW system? Has it quickly pinpointed problems in certain parts (instead of the old school replacement game)?

Sad to hear you're ending your travels. But it sure looked like you had a great time and saw a lot. Sure, we'll have to swap installation stories -- as long as mine isn't a HORROR story. Shocked

All the best to you and Janice!

Thanks! We used to have a Thule box on the roof, but it was too much weight and clearance was bad. It took us a few years but we think we finally have it dialled in.

A new harness and refurbed ECU will go a long way on dependability, and $799 US is cheaper! I have the scan gauge with the GW EFI, it will show error codes but I've had no problems yet, so haven't seen any codes Smile

Hopefully no horror stories,
Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Congrats on not drinking the conversion Kool Aid. Nothing works better than a WBX in a VAnagon. It is perfectly matched to the gear box and wonderful to listen to.
I would replace the Thermo housing with a New Plastic one and the cap. They get work hardened and crack from heat and chemicals. Take a good look at your heater hoses as well as there are some plastic bits in there that are long over due for replacememt.
This would be a great time to update to new injectors and a COMPLETE fuel hose replacement and eliminate the Plastic fuel nipple as well.

Coming up in the near future is a list of parts purchased so far and the cost (gulp)! I'm wavering on the fuel injectors based on observations of 500,000 mile lifespans -- perhaps exaggerated? -- plus the recent testing done by Dave O'Bryan in his Samba thread "Building a bus for travel in Europe". There wasn't a whole lot of performance difference between the originals and the rebuilds. At any rate, the fuel injectors can be changed out a lot easier than other parts if I change my mind.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I have a KYLE harness in my work truck. worth every penny. It gets rid of those nagging little hiccups. I also have a rebuilt ICR as well as a NOS ICV and a rebuilt throttle body. I just love how it sits at 825 RPM all day.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
I should probably show the van, too.

Really nice. Love the van and it’s story. Love your philosophy on sticking to origins too - looking forward to more of both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

Thanks! We used to have a Thule box on the roof, but it was too much weight and clearance was bad. It took us a few years but we think we finally have it dialled in.

We've always tried to run lean with a K.I.S.S. philosophy. Kind of like ultralight backpacking only in a Westy. Probably comes from our early travels in the '73 passenger van. I yanked the rear seat out of that and made a plywood box with a lid that mimicked the Westy seat storage set up. We spread our sleeping bags out on Thermarests and could leave them like that day and night. The lidded, lockable box underneath the down bags held our backpacking stove, fuel etc etc. It was larger than the Westy seat storage by far. Developed a hunched back from leaning over inside, though, so I was happy to get a Westy when we came back to Canada after living in Oz for a number of years. I laugh when folks describe the 90hp 2.1L engines as underpowered. Try driving a '73 for awhile! That 114hp 2.3L is going to have me pressed into my seatback. Very Happy

We NEVER use the Westy stove because of griz activity in the areas we frequent so the rusted propane tank is dead weight and may be jettisoned shortly. I still carry a single burner backpacking-type stove and use that away from the van on trips. Black bears aren't much better. We actually had a problem bear in Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario try to open our side door latch on the '73 van with its paw while we were sleeping inside. Luckily I had it locked! A good bang on the inside of the tinny van and it scooted off. Oddly enough, what led us into VW vans was tenting bans in Yukon campgrounds when we were on our honeymoon. We were heading up the Dempster Hwy a couple of years after it opened in an oil-burning Dodge Dart (yup, what a honeymoon!) and discovered that no tenting was allowed due to black bear activity in the campgrounds. We ended up sleeping in the back seat the whole way. That was the tipping point and when we got back I started looking for a beater VW. We took our daughter up the Dempster years later in the Westy and it was an absolute mudfest with a single lane most of the way into Inuvik. Kinda tight when a semi was coming your way! When we got south again the Westy was mud from top to bottom and we could barely see out the side windows. Great fun!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Love this thread already - you've definitely got the right attitude, and a way with words! Git 'r done!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:

Up next for discussion is the maintenance approach for those of us in our 60s who may have but 20 years driving to look forward to -- or less. This is affecting the current Westy makeover maintenance scheduling where I'm jumping the gun on certain replacements.

Back to old age in vans ... and in humans. I started the #vanlife lifestyle (I chuckle every time I see that hipster "vanlife" stuff) back in my twenties in a rusty '73 V-dub passenger van. I'm now getting senior citizen discounts in my current ride. In my view, you might as well over-do a makeover than under-do it -- wallet size being a major consideration when making that choice -- because you ain't gonna live forever. Do you wait 5 or 6 years to change something out or do you check it off now and get your money's worth out of it? All while increasing reliability RIGHT NOW? Can you piggyback maintenance of unrelated systems while having other work done?

Case in point: Power steering system. If you look at the West-Werks to-do list linked above, you'll see that they don't mention power steering upgrades. No biggie: you can actually live without it if it was to fail. However, since I have an aging, leaking power steering rack, I've decided to have the whole system re-done since the ATF will be drained and replaced during the rack work -- and my fuel tank is being dropped to check and upgrade that, too.

Since my power steering lines are metal and corroding, I might as well have new P.S. hydraulic lines run front to back while the gas tank is down and out of the way. The metal lines are easily cut out of that "hidden" location at the same time. The P.S. reservoir needs a new filter when the rack goes in with the new fluid so maybe it's time to chuck that 30-yr-old plastic piece as well and get a replacement? Hmmmmm...maybe the attached hoses, too? I'll get the benefit of 20 years service out of them instead of the next guy.

Does that make sense? My reliability score goes up on the van and I get to enjoy the fruits of the improvement while I still can. Maybe it's me, but the years do seem to fly by faster the older you get. Not that I'm complaining -- every day you can walk and talk and type is a good one. Those simple pleasures are free, however -- Volkswagen Westfalias are not!

We'll get to the parts list and costs in a minute or three ...

Last edited by VdubVanner on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Great OP and attitude overall.

We love to hear others sticking with the WBX, we hope to forever. And I recall the Whole Earth catalog, lotsa wisdom in those!

And here's a vote to rid the cargo box! We hit the road 68 months ago with a giant Yakima (21 cubes), got rid of it the hard way (barrel-rolled it, box didn't like that), got a new van that came with a 15-cuber, and are about to drop it into permanent storage (or sell it). I expect 10% better mileage straight away, the thing is an aero and top-heavy disaster. Target weight is 4,990.

Happy Travels that are short of travails!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

BTW Thanks for all the kind words and comments.

Now onto a bit of nostalgia and hard cold numbers ($$$$ = costs).
I actually went through my dusty VW archives and dug out some Kodachrome slides of my old '73 and its storage box/bed. Cool! I forgot I had some pics of that. Turns out I carpeted the front and sides of it to match some tan colored remnants that I got somewhere and installed on the floor. I'll see if I can get those transferred into a digital format. I also found VW brochures -- the leafy 8X11s -- for the Canadian model year 1988 Vanagon (Gregor's red 1987 version -- Tizian Red Metallic -- being that year's centrefold) and another from Oz for "The Volkswagen Kombi" (1989).

These excerpts are for Gregor and Janice:

My interior is exactly the same. Volkswagen Canada dated November 1987. I must have grabbed that brochure in a hurry at the dealership before they spied a "bum" skulking around their fancy showroom and had a chance to throw me out. Even then, I was obviously dreaming about upgrading from my '73 bus to a high-brow Westfalia.

By 1990, we were Down Under: 1989 Oz brochure bits to follow on next page.

Last edited by VdubVanner on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:55 am; edited 3 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
I actually went through my dusty VW archives and dug out some Kodachrome slides of my old '73 and its storage box/bed. Cool! I forgot I had some pics of that.

Be very careful choosing whose hands your Kodachromes fall into. Twenty years ago, most labs knew how to handle film, and convert to digital. Those days are mostly gone.

I'd offer to scan some for you au gratis, but am on a sabbatical of that now (scanners are in storage). But I can guide you as well as anyone if you want to PM me, I've scanned about 20,000 transparencies.

Find a lab using IT8 film targets specifically matching Kodachrome. You'll impress them that you know what those are. Wink

All my comments presume you want very good results from your old memories.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: