Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Great pictures! Thanks for the snow.

I wonder if they make slightly bigger screens for the front windows, to accomodate for deflectors. I guess I'd have to make my own. I like the magnetic strips they've used.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Okay, back to the folding bike and pack arrangement. I'd like to take credit for coming up with this idea but I can't. I first saw this rig used by Russ Roca of The Path Less Pedaled and others have copied him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c76T3g5wwY . In the comments section Russ claims that the wooden dowel used is 8" long but I reckon it's longer than that just looking at it. I used one a little over a foot long. It was a section cut from an old broomstick handle (recall that I used that broom's foam handle grips for wrapping the Engel cooler handles).

I'm throwing this how-to in now because I just did a 12-hour+ daytrip yesterday that included the rig and thought you might be interested in how it was put together. It follows what Russ did with a few changes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's the rig ready to go.

Start with the dowel. I used sturdy rope instead of straps simply because it was closer at hand and worked just as well (two doubled over sections that were about 10 inches long after doubling). I then tied the two sections together to pull them toward the center:

The under frame of that seat is 4130 Chromoly steel -- tough stuff -- and has no problem with being hogtied. Keep in mind that the rear rack takes almost all the weight load so it better be a brute. Mine is the Tern Cargo Rack which is rated for 55lbs: https://www.ternbicycles.com/ca/accessories/471/cargo-rack + https://turbobobbicycleblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/6709/ . That rack will also fit Dahon folding bikes like my Dahon Speed D7 which I've souped up for off-road use when required i.e. comfier handlebar grips (Ergons), better seat, stronger folding pedals, Schwalbe 2-inch Big Apple tire front and 1.75-inch Marathon in rear with liners inside both for extra protection etc.

The front shoulder straps merely rest on the dowels they don't have any weight load or a negligible amount. I use the loose adjustment straps to tie the shoulder straps together.

I pull the waist straps to the rear and buckle them together, then tie the ice axe loops to the rear of the rack:

Two bungie straps are criss-crossed across the sides and run to the front of the rack to limit side movement:

Since the Eclipse 25 is a zippered pack, all the contents can be accessed from the top even after attaching it to the rack. The only thing that might be a touch difficult to get to is the rain cover which is stored in a bottom pouch. If it looked like rain, I'd simply pull it out and tie the covered pack the same way from the get go: https://vpo.ca/blog/a-pack-that-ticks-all-the-boxes-the-low-alpine-eclipse-tested-in-canadas-arctic/ + https://www.campsaver.com/reviews/reviews-lowe-alpine-eclipse-25-backpack.html . I picked up that pack and a matching Eclipse ND 22 for my wife (in pale green https://www.amazon.ca/ALPINE-ECLIPSE-BACKPACK-PEPPERMINT-PERSIAN/dp/B01BGLWWZM#customerReviews ) for next to nothing on The Last Hunt website which is the let's-get-rid-of-this-old/discontinued-stock branch of Altitude Sports in Montreal: https://www.thelasthunt.com/. Not everything is a deal but prices cycle up and down especially around holidays and the New Year. I like downright rock bottom. Smile

BTW The black bag under the seat is my tool kit.

It takes approximately five minutes to set up or take down:

Since folding bikes have a much greater distance between the seat and rear rack it's possible to get away with this method of carrying a pack, whether large daypack or backpack. How does it handle at speed? Check out this video of Russ wailing downhill at 42mph on his Brompton with his backpack rigged on the rear rack (that's his wife out front in the first half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUV-or-M36I .

The advantage of using the folding bike and pack is that the bike can be ditched on a bike-and-hike (planned or not) and the pack strapped on and used. There's no need for a bike rack for the van either since the folder can be stowed safely and out of sight inside. On a larger bike, it's either panniers or carrying a hefty backpack directly on your back for miles as was demonstrated by the wild cyclist in my previous "Closed Road" post. It's a lot safer and more comfortable if the pack weight is on a rear rack and easily removable (unless, of course, you're unfortunate enough to have a cougar jump up from behind -- then that pack on your pack would certainly be more protective especially around the neck area). Note that I ride with a rear-view mirror. That ain't just for traffic. Wink

Folders also have a long front handlebar stem which gives them space for adding/taping goodies like this to help ward off potential four-legged problems:

That's a 120 decibel Ecoblast that is recharged with a hand pump. Loud? Deafening! It can be heard a half mile or more away which might come in handy in an emergency as well.

Let me sort some more photos out from that epic trip yesterday and I'll post what that bike outfit is capable of and why it's a handy item under certain restrictive conditions like closed roads when your Westy can only go so far.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Long time no read! How's Fritz doing?
bheins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I'm wondering how VdubVanner is doing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

bheins wrote:
I'm wondering how VdubVanner is doing?

I was Actually wondering the same thing the other day.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I was minding my own business and enjoying that 12hr long daytrip with my "horse and pony"...

When I suddenly got whisked away at warp speed...

To another galaxy and universe...

Rubbing my eyes, I looked around and saw a familiar sight:

Could it be? Yup, I was back in Vulcan but it was the dead of night this time around and it was VERY cool...

The lights were mesmerizing...

I had to peek inside again...

I'd never noticed the tipi before but that was a sign of my new life ahead..

Glancing up, I was Vulcanized on the spot:

Yup, I was definitely ready to leave this dimension and go for a bumpy ride into a distant zone:

And I'm still travelling out there somewhere...

In other words I've been busy. Picture me as the mythical Blackfoot hero
Katoyis -- the monster slayer -- who is battling the most fearsome foe Sinokoopsis, the Windsucker, a demon that slurps up all in his path like thin broth. I'm in the middle of kicking some Windsucker ass right now and have been a wee bit busy of late. And it all started with that peaceful, wonderful daytrip. I didn't go looking for trouble, it found me. I had a premonition and followed it.

Fritz and I are just dandy but I'm tired from all that butt-kicking -- and there's more to come before I'm done with that community-killing Windsucker.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I installed one of these inside my van!

Good to hear from you.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Red Light District look -- I like it. Smile
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:

I wonder if we'll start getting reports of VicVan advertising their "wares" from the window of a red-lit T25 Smile
bheins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are well and making the most out of Fritz!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
VdubVanner wrote:

I wonder if we'll start getting reports of VicVan advertising their "wares" from the window of a red-lit T25 Smile

Gotta pay for all the repairs and maintenance...
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Well, I managed to sneak off to my prairie getaway before the heat wave of the century started but the weather looked iffy on arrival:

I also noticed a little extra something around the wheel wells...

Those dang head-buttin' bulls just have to keep crapping everywhere and rolling around it in:

Which brings me to the related subject of having to take a crap in the middle of nowhere and a new product to help accomplish that: The Instaprivy https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instaprivy-world-s-most-practical-portable-toilet#/ + https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instaprivy-world-s-most-practical-portable-toilet#/updates/all .

I'm proud to say that I'm one of the first in the world to use this new crapper and it works like a charm. I was looking for something that would fold up and could be stored behind my seat and was non-metal so it would be easy to handle in the cold. Here's what it looks like:

I use a couple of unscented 13 gallon Hefty kitchen trash bags which get clamped between the top seat and the frame https://www.amazon.ca/Hefty-Strong-Kitchen-Drawstring-Gallon/dp/B01BZ0MDH6/ref=pd_ys_iyr50 .

Tie it off and the job is done.

Folds up nice and tight:

I store it in a cheapo Ikea bag that costs less than a buck.

I haven't had the Instaprivy for long so I can't comment on its longevity but I reckon it'll hold up fine. I didn't bother getting the whole shebang (pack etc) since I didn't need it. So far so good.

Proudly Made in the USA. Note that it has FOUR legs so is more stable than its three-legged competition and could be used as a camp chair. At 14 inches high it's a better height for use unlike others. The feet have a nice wide base to keep them from sinking into soil. The other nice touch is the open front which accomplishes two things: 1) stops your "junk" from getting squished and 2) allows the urine stream to be diverted if that's a requirement or concern.

For an even slimmer approach and for hiking, an MEC toilet bag https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-310/II-Disposable-Bag-For-Solid-Waste

or a folding bucket would suffice with the addition of a couple of kitchen waste bags:

This might come in handy in a campground for showering and toilet functions:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sportneer-Portable-Dressing-...&psc=1 . I picked mine up used on Amazon for $45 CDN. It was a return and the only thing wrong with it was one of the interior lines hadn't been sewn on. Five minutes of sewing and that was fixed. Stores behind the driver's seat with the Instaprivy.

I'm trying to limit use of public washrooms due to COVID and my compromised immune system due to cancer.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Have you noticed that it's a wee bit warm outside? Like sizzling history-making, fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk hot?

Here's how to beef up your struggling ice cooler. I blatantly borrowed the idea from Kooler Cap https://koolercap.wixsite.com/mysite-6/about-koolercap but used a cheapo lookalike closed cell foam roll that I got for a couple of bucks at a flea market. Some of you may remember that I used some of that foam for a seat cushion on my Engel 50 cooler which also doubles as topper insulation:

Here's where the Kooler Cap idea came in. Why not cut some of the remaining foam roll up into sections that fit either side of my cooler divider? I could add ice and/or cooler packs in the bottom of the cooler then cover them over with tight-fitting foam toppers to keep the ice or packs better insulated. The foam would also act to keep the contents high and dry if so desired (think lunch bags etc that you don't want getting wet). Canned drinks could be placed directly on the ice and then covered. By using the Kooler Cap technique of cutting the foam about 1/4 inch wider and pushing it down, the air seal would be tighter:

On my last trip to cow pie land, the set-up worked like a charm. It could work for you, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5EFvdrw6o (the first three days the cooler lid was left up and open!) + http://www.thebestcooler.com/koolercap-ice-extender-regular-size-fits-up-to-65-qts/ .

Cooooool!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Something I forgot to mention while talking about my Engel cooler -- or any other brand that drains to the outside: how to leave the cooler in place and still drain the melted ice without getting water inside.

Try using half of a plastic report cover (plastic duo-tang):

The joint where the two halves of the cover meet has a crease that keeps the water flowing where you want it to go. Just direct it outside (keeping the van angled in that direction or the water will run backwards under the cooler).

When done, simply slide the cover under the cooler until the next time it's needed.

Oh, and be sure to keep it color coordinated -- in this case black to match my van's black and grey interior. Smile
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Since I'm now running where the buffalo roam (or roamed) I decided to beef up my wildlife mojo a wee bit:

I had to separate the two sets so they don't clang/bang into each other on rough tracks or swinging around corners.

No bull, these lucky charms really work. I added this one over the sliding door as it has a magnetic back (its feet tuck into the velcro for the side door bugscreenery):

It looks a little rough because it's made from recycled lumber: https://wanuskewingiftshop.com/products/3r-innovat...&_ss=r .

The other buffalo was meant for the rearview mirror but I don't like stuff hanging from it so I duct-taped it to the push bar: https://wanuskewingiftshop.com/products/3r-innovative-imaging-ornaments?variant=39493055905979 . I ordered a "rust" buffalo since the brown was out of stock but received a brown one anyway. You might have the same luck.

Gotta have mojo in your van!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

I also wear wildlife mojo on my back -- especially when I'm running my folding bike over the prairies from the van during fire bans looking for bison. Some days, I'll even wear it walking locally near old buffalo jumps. A paparazzi caught me in the act yesterday and I could hear his camera's motordrive clicking a mile a minute from across the street https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/covid-19...-new-cases :

I'm sporting my ultra cool "Slow Roll Buffalo" cycling t-shirt in the above shot: https://slowrollbuffalo.org/?v=3e8d115eb4b3 . Of course, my beloved goats got some recent attention, too https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/the-goats-are-baaaa-ck-in-calgary-1.5510831 :

Do you recall the raw goat's hair that I yanked off the night pen for van mojo use? Well, the lovely lady goat-herder that I work with sheared her cashmere goats and I was the happy recipient of some of that fine wool (she sends it to a special mill in Prince Edward Island to have it spun). My daughter is currently knitting me a toque with ear flaps -- "the 1898 hat" -- based on a historic pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/1898-hat . I can hardly wait to try it on!

I'm giving Fritz some time off to keep him out of the smoke and heat that we're having all over the West. But in short order -- with even a short break in the weather -- we'll be hauling the wee folder out to the boonies in search of buffalo in some way, shape or form:

I'm riding kind of lean here without my pack on the back because I was throwing the bike over barbed wire fences in places. Nobody around for miles and miles.

Don't tell me you can't see a "bison" on that flat rock? Pshaw! You'd better get yourself some more buffalo mojo, better glasses or an imagination!

BTW That mask I wear is a hepa filter type which is good for smoke and COVID (both a health concern for me): https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-367/Ultralight-...gLorfD_BwE . Should we still be wearing masks for COVID? Gotta keep up with the science: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95025-3 . "Counterintuitively, when a relaxation of non-pharmaceutical interventions happened at a time when most individuals of the population have already been vaccinated the probability of emergence of a resistant strain was greatly increased. Consequently, we show that a period of transmission reduction close to the end of the vaccination campaign can substantially reduce the probability of resistant strain establishment. Our results suggest that policymakers and individuals should consider maintaining non-pharmaceutical interventions and transmission-reducing behaviours throughout the entire vaccination period."

Works for me in crowded cities! In the boonies? No need except for wildfire smoke.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Now who would believe that the work of an international artist like Michelle Hoogveld could be found in a grease monkey's garage/gallery locally?

https://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/local-arts...l-traction

Only at Tony's Auto/Artist Service in Cowtown:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9446773&highlight=michelle#9446773

It was an unexpected pleasure meeting the young lady and I wish her even more acclaim and success in the future.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Speaking of Tony's Auto/Artist Service, I paid the lads a visit to get an oil change out from my dino oil to full synthetic (finally). I had them feed Fritz some fine Castrol 5W50 in preparation for the winter season -- but also for the rest of the year which it will cover. For this climate, it's a good choice especially when it's on sale: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/castrol-edge-5w...#store=930 . I was following GoWesty's engine warranty requirements to the letter. Just as a matter of comparison, I noted some time ago that Damon Butler of NRWSTR https://nrwstr.com/ likes his Liqui Moly in the 10W60 range:

We're a wee bit colder in winter -- the ol' version of the van was driven in -33 degree C temps -- so I like the 5W low end. That pre-winter oil trip to Tony's was arranged after I'd washed and waxed the beast, undercoated him with four refreshing cans of Rust Cure (most of it was still hanging in there from last year https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9158749&highlight=rust+cure#9158749 ) and touched up a bit of paint here and there. While at Tony's getting my usual stellar service, I noticed some new artwork inside the shop but had forgotten my camera. Time to dodge home and back again...

The parking lot was so full on my return that I snuck into a shaded spot next door -- the one that said No Illegal Parking. Smile

Inside I started snapping the Grand Theft Auto video game themed wall:

Beauty!

Something new every time I drop by.

After visiting the local Cabelas store recently, I added another powerful piece to my wildlife mojo collection:

The sweet warbling western meadowlark aka Soohksiisiimsstaan (in the Blackfoot language.) A little squeeze of this common prairie songster gets a VERY realistic tune out of it: https://www.amazon.ca/Wild-Republic-18229-Western-Meadowlark/dp/B01MZIY3YN (the actual toy only repeats the song twice and at a slower, more even speed). Love it! When I get homesick for the open plains, I just give it a gentle press and it transports me to the windswept prairies.

Coming up next: the Beginner's Guide to the Kama Sutra of Vanagonyana. Secrets for the Uninitiated....shhhhhh!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Got the synthetic 5W50 oil in...now I just need some new winter tires. I decided that even though my now-extinct Yoko Y370s are passable in winter https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/yokohama-y370 with the money I have invested in body work I'd prefer something with more predictable stopping on icy roads.

One choice left in Canada (for dedicated 14" winter tires): https://www.continentaltire.ca/car/tires/vancontact-winter . Only available as 185/R14s but are D-load rated with Load/Speed-Index of 102/100Q.

Groovy, baby, groovy! Takes care of aquaplaning as well.

So, acting on a wake-up premonition this lovely autumn morning, I phoned Kal-Tire as soon as they opened and they tracked down the last four tires available in Canada which were hiding out in a warehouse in Quebec (where winter tires are mandatory by law). Bingo!

Good overall review especially in wet and snow: https://alltyretests.com/continental-vancontact-winter-test-review/ . Why the worst-in-class rolling resistance? Because of the best-in-class grip! You don't get that stellar rating without some drag hence the poor rolling resistance. I'll take the added safety during an icy winter over better fuel mileage any day.

There were 10 4-Season versions available countrywide but I wanted the dedicated winter tires. Whewwww! That premonition paid off. Here in 5 days with shipping $25 a tire. Looks like another extinct species going onto Fritz for his winter use.

Apparently, due to COVID, Continental isn't making any more this year -- and likely into the future. Matt at Tony's confided that he'd bought up as many sets of the VanContact 4-Season tires as he could find awhile back, knowing they'd be going extinct in the near future. So if you're local and looking for a decent 14" tire, you know where to go. Had I not already had my Yokos, I would've bought a set of those 4-Seasons instead of the VanContact Winter tires.

Eventually, us 14-inch diehards will have to bite the bullet and switch to 15 or 16" wheels. But not yet!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Westy Makeover: GoWesty 2.3L Engine plus plus plus Reply with quote

Got 'em in, got 'em on!

With COVID's 4th wave going on, I wanted to beat the "first snowfall" rush since the winter tire change is really temperature related not snow related: http://blog.buzzbishop.com/shopping/when-should-i-change-to-winter-tires-in-canada/ + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yWWcNfgkw .

Here they are:

Crikey, they even have snow-grabbing tread on the sidewall!

My one concern was the age of the tires but since I didn't have a choice in selection -- these were the last four 14 inch snow tires in Canada that fit Fritz -- I gambled and put the order in. Turned out they're fine: Reading the small print on the sidewall -- DOT HW2X HRDO 1821 -- gives you the date of manufacture. In this case, it's the 18th week of the year 2021. That translates to May of this year which is very good. Some scammers sell tires that have been sitting on a shelf for four years: https://globalnews.ca/news/2338584/canadian-tire-a...ires-sold/ + https://www.blackcircles.ca/en/faq/tires/tires-dot-explanation .

When to replace them? Some tires have wear indicators built in. Others call for the nickel or dime treatment: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/howto/project.html/...tread.html + https://bc.ctvnews.ca/easy-ways-to-ensure-your-tires-are-safe-1.1302732 .

As an extra bonus, which helped pay for shipping from Quebec, Continental Tires is handing out a $60 rebate for buying the set of four: https://www.continentaltire.ca/car/rebate .

Although daytime highs are currently above 7 degrees, they'll be dropping soon and mornings are subzero or below the magic number of seven which is perfect for my early errand running. Works for me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: