Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

I know it’s overkill on a 1776 build, 1 3/8” hideaway exhaust, Skat counterweighted crank, Mahle forged pistons, Scat H beam rods-or is it??
With the low levels of zddp today and I’ve read sooooo many threads on cams/lifters compatibilities...
Considering the webcam 218 for my frd34’s and kept reading about the lifter horror stories but the Udo’s had very good reviews across the board.
They are $$$$ but if I have the extra $$ myself should I pull the trigger?
I also read great stuff on the cb ultralight lifters as well.
Thoughts??
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Just use an oil that has the properties that suits your engine and a set of lifters that match the cam blank.
Tool steel lifters are nice, but not really nessessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whatsaquickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

I personally pulled the plug on my wallet and used a set of Udo Beckers tool steel lifters
and have not been disappointed they are light they are strong the valve train mass has been reduced and are worth the investment in my opinion
my valve adjustments have so far never changed
you can hear them in action at https://youtu.be/-xX2tcw9uRg
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Build what you want.

You start adding up all those $50, $100, and $250 extras for "overkill" parts and it won't be long before you have $1000 of unnecessary do-dad's. More chrome, polish, and spit 'N shine bling can turn a $3500 1776 into a $5000 turd. In the end you still get to keep all the broken pieces.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

They are nice.

I have no comments on the hardness compatibility with Webcam blanks hardness. I know running a Scat lifter on a Webcam will kill the cam. (your experience may vary).
Not sure about tool steel lifters thou.

every application of TS lifters I have seen used hard-welded cams to go with them.

Word of warning (that nobody likes to talk about): While very hard, they are brittle and thin walled. If you have a pushrod fall out of socket at high rpm, it will break the face of the lifter and ruin the lifter bore in the case.
Make sure you have a good valve trane if you plan on taking the revs up there...

Last edited by Ohio Tom on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

The Webs I have used cam on a SC1 blank.
Web even recommended I use Scat lifters.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

I've got around 6 years and close to 10,000 miles on mine. Valves have not needed adjustment at all. I check them every thousand or so. I recommend them. I run 320 pounds of spring pressure in a daily driver.

Losing a cam sucks. I like the insurance.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I've got around 6 years and close to 10,000 miles on mine. Valves have not needed adjustment at all. I check them every thousand or so. I recommend them. I run 320 pounds of spring pressure in a daily driver.

Hey Steve, is 10k miles in 6 years a daily driver? Maybe you had a typo and forgot a zero.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Whatsaquickie wrote:
I personally pulled the plug on my wallet and used a set of Udo Beckers tool steel lifters
and have not been disappointed they are light they are strong the valve train mass has been reduced and are worth the investment in my opinion
my valve adjustments have so far never changed
you can hear them in action at https://youtu.be/-xX2tcw9uRg

lol.. was that engine already warm? Or do you always romp on the throttle as soon as you start up?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
They are nice.

I have no comments on the hardness compatibility with Webcam blanks hardness. I know running a Scat lifter on a Webcam will kill the cam. (your experience may vary).
Not sure about tool steel lifters thou.

every application of TS lifters I have seen used hard-welded cams to go with them.

Word of warning (that nobody likes to talk about): While very hard, they are brittle and thin walled. If you have a pushrod fall out of socket at high rpm, it will break the face of the lifter and ruin the lifter bore in the case.
Make sure you have a good valve trane if you plan on taking the revs up there...

As UKLuke72 noted......that actually depends on when your Webcam was made. The one I have going into my 1.7L from 2010....is a Raby 9550 made by Webcam in 2009 or 2010.
At that point in time all of their cams...at least for type 4....were using the Scat lifter...lube-a-lobe no less....with no issues.

However....in speaking to web last year...since I am finally about to install the cam....i asked if there had been any issues with those lifters on these cams in the 9 years since I bought it....and they said no.....BUT....they said not to use the current iteration of type 4 lifters with that 10 year old cam. Too many things change...their words.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

I used Udo lifters on my current engine. They were nice and light, plenty of clearance between them and the cam lobes.

I do not have enough miles on the engine yet, but the valve lash has not changed in the first 500 miles.

Money is dependent on the buyer.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

i love how we aircooled guys complain about spending 400 bucks on lifters when all the HEMI guys are spending over 200 bucks for stock lifters and the antique truck and car guys are willing to pay 90 dollars a lifter for the uncommon engines. us vw guys have it made.

if i had to question one thing about these lifters using my not so experianced brain,

it would be,

tool steel is harder than the mild steel they use in all the other lifters right.

so, would a harder lifter reduce lifter bore life?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Lifter bore wear would be the same, or at least not worse.
A more accurately ground OD on the lifter might help, a lot of these cheap VW lifters could be better in that respect.

You can get a chevy 817 hydraulic lifter with a steel insert on the face for 3$

Unfortunately it is not practical to put a hardened face insert on a mushroom lifter.
Mushroom shaped lifters are a neat design but it really only makes sense if they are cast or forged to shape.

Carving a mushroom shaped lifter out of tool steel bar stock is very inefficient, thus, very expensive.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Another source of TS lifters is Thorsten Pieper . 56grams . very nice . an advantage is that if you want to change cams and do development work you can reuse the lifters . Since I've upgraded cam and still have the same lifters ,the cost is starting to be in my favour .
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:

Hey Steve, is 10k miles in 6 years a daily driver? Maybe you had a typo and forgot a zero.

I have 7 vehicles so each one gets cycled in.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Another source of TS lifters is Thorsten Pieper . 56grams . very nice . an advantage is that if you want to change cams and do development work you can reuse the lifters . Since I've upgraded cam and still have the same lifters ,the cost is starting to be in my favour .

I bought my T,P, lifters for this exact reason. I was 3/4 of the way to the cost of a set before I bought them anyways so I just said fuk it and bit the bullet.

A good friend of mine was a service manager at a motorsports dealership. The price of engine parts for sleds, side by sides and boats is fuckin horrendous and the durability is even worse.

brad
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Udo Becker’s-worthwhile investment? Reply with quote

Overkill. Save $300 and run SLR scats. I use these on all client builds unless build, budget, and rpm usage warrants it. Use TS28s or udo Becker Tool steel lifters on the future 7k engine that can turn 6800+ rpms.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: