Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

1990 Westy Automatic.

My accelerator sticks open when I go depress the pedal more than halfway.
I opened the housing under the spare tire - very clean. Sprayed a little lithium anyway. No obvious hangup there.

The AT linkage is where I think it's binding...I remove the plastic cap and scraped around the bolt, then lithium greased...then moved the rod at the throttle several times, and stomped the pedal several times.
That helped a little but it still sticks.
I don't have the tools/space to pull that assembly apart and deep clean it.

What pulls or pushed the cable/rod back to idle?
The spring on the throttle itself? That doesn't seem strong enough.
I replaced it with a similar spring from the local FLAPS and it has some return force after open, but it doesn't seem enough.
Is that the only thing pulling the rod back to idle when the pedal is released?

The spring at the end of the rod - I don't understand how that works.

Is there a spring or some other 'push/pull' action that should be happening at the AT linkage?

Thinking if I can find what returns that cable/rod to idle and clean/replace the spring (?), that may do it. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to push the rod back to idle from the engine when its sticks.
I'm concerned the only/best option is to clean that entire ball housing at the transmission...which I'm not setup to do...so tow to a shop and pay....ugh

Thanks for any thoughts!
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

I bent the end of the rod where the spring is you replaced. Not much but it bound at high throttle like you describe. Scared the crap out of me. Check it for slight bend. Even very faint.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

mine bound up once. Dougs right, its a hair raising experience. Luckily a calm mind will remove the van from gear and pull to the side w the engine SCREAMING!!!

In my case there was a misalignment of the hinging action under the floor.

If you disconnect the cable/ rod from the throttle body, does the throttle fully close then?

You might work forward from there.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

Post a pic of your engine and the connection at the throttle body.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

The throttle was sticking on our new van as soon as we bought it.

I lubed the engine end of the cable housing and the linkage itself and it never did it again. I pulled over with it in gear to eliminate risk of blowing the engine up, dumping the clutch once pulled over and turned the key off at the same time -- once pointed straight in knowing the steering could lock.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator linkage sticks - what forces return Reply with quote

the steering wont lock until you remove the Key Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: